Beta Zelda ... Kind Of

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
A french open source coder is fan of Zelda. So he created 3 games.

They are best decribe by it's author there.

Here are the PNDs :
- Zelda : Return Of The Hylian
- Zelda : Oni Link Begin
- Zelda : Time to Triumph

Change since last "release" :
- Changed to a timidity patch that is small and don't make these freeze. So size matter and freeze are gone
- Code based on hmn work. So many thanks for bug fixes and all :)
- Key mapping is the Snes one
- Using a fast and clean software scaller

Known bugs :
The texts don't reflects actuals controls (Sorry, I'm lazy...). But sources are included in each PND :)

To build (with djwillis toolchain) set these first :
Code:
export CFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O3 -pipe -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant"
export CROSSTOOL="$SDK_PATH/bin/$TARGET_SYS"
export CXX=$CROSSTOOL-g++ CC=$CROSSTOOL-gcc STRIP=$CROSSTOOL-strip
To build use "make" (Note that the "-DPANDORA" is mandatory to build the pandora code...)

I hope you like these :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Zelda! Open source Zelda!

I'm downloading this immediatley!

Please tell me they're english (I assume that's what US is)

Are they any good?

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't send him a cease and desist letter yet. No matter how awesome this is, it clearly infringes on their intellectual property.

<edit>He states in his forums that Nintendo of Europe tolerates amateur games. Still, I would be careful with hosting this in the appstore.</edit>

Caine said:
I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't send him a cease and desist letter yet. No matter how awesome this is, it clearly infringes on their intellectual property.

<edit>He states in his forums that Nintendo of Europe tolerates amateur games. Still, I would be careful with hosting this in the appstore.</edit>

Yea I wouldn't worry too much. Nintendo haven't even gone after the authors of the homebrew channel on the Wii which hosts emulators capable of playing many of the games they sell on the Wii Arcade, as well as Super Mario War.

I say put this on the app-store. If Nintendo wanna go for OP then they can take it straight down, and they've got themselves some free publicity to boot :D

Nintendo tend to go for hardware manufacturers, like with the R4 flash carts.

About the games:

No music! (a music volume option is in the game, so I assume it should have some)
Slow at 500mhz, but not your fault.
Actions are mapped to the keyboard, any chance of mapping to the buttons too?
It doesn't seem to save the game.

SomeGuy99 said:
Nintendo tend to go for hardware manufacturers, like with the R4 flash carts.

About the games:

No music! (a music volume option is in the game, so I assume it should have some)
Actions are mapped to the keyboard, any chance of mapping to the buttons too?

I have same problems too...

Idea for control mapping:

F1 = Start
Quit game = Escape/q
enlarge = f
item selection = a
confirm = x
select item = x
use item = x
pickup/throw = b
talk/read = y
map = select/right shoulder
look around = left shoulder

HackModford said:
But they did go after the awesome zelda move (which I still have :p )

That's because they were going to be selling that movie, and therefore making a profit off of Nintendo's intellectual property.

As for Nintendo going after OP, they would be more likely to go after them for the emulators than for these games. They don't bother the Zelda Classic and OpenZelda projects, I don't see why they would bother this french guy.

-God Ginrai

What? :blink: They were never going to sell it. Where did you see that? I never got that impression...

SomeGuy99 said:
Come on how could I missed that :(
Game sounds are ogg, musics are mid. There could be something wrong with mikmod, i'll look into this.

SomeGuy99 said:
At which speed do you like it ? (I'll force this in the PXML :p)

SomeGuy99 said:
I must confess that I didn't tested much theses games, it looked to work.
This is weird. an appdata directory isn't created for all these only ROTH and 3T (french) have been created on my console. I'll dig deeper.

SomeGuy99 said:
Idea for control mapping:

F1 = Start
Quit game = Escape/q
enlarge = f
item selection = a
confirm = x
select item = x
use item = x
pickup/throw = b
talk/read = y
map = select/right shoulder
look around = left shoulder
accepted :)

Pleng said:
Yea I wouldn't worry too much. Nintendo haven't even gone after the authors of the homebrew channel on the Wii which hosts emulators capable of playing many of the games they sell on the Wii Arcade, as well as Super Mario War.
The Homebrew channel does not infringe on any of their rights, so how could they go after it? This clearly does, it uses their trademark and copyrighted assets. Putting this in the official appstore would be rather dangerous, IMO. On the other hand, I love Super Mario War and I feel it should be in the appstore... :rolleyes:

At least in America, and I'm pretty sure Europe, the appstore is protected if somebody uploads copyrighted material, as long as they remove the content if Nintendo asks them to do so.

HackModford said:
What? :blink: They were never going to sell it. Where did you see that? I never got that impression...

On their site. I remember I was following it for quite a while. It was going to be like a lot of Linux distros do, you could download it for free, or pay a small fee for them to send you a DVD with it on it.

-God Ginrai

Uggghhh and Nintendo takes that as making money? :facepal:

But anyways did you like the movie? Think it should really be done by the real hollywood?

HackModford said:
Uggghhh and Nintendo takes that as making money? :facepal:

But anyways did you like the movie? Think it should really be done by the real hollywood?

Haven't seen it yet. -_- I didn't download it in time. My friend found a copy, but it didn't run in any of the normal media players, so we didn't watch it.

-God Ginrai

Back