Release Need somebody to test a PND

Non violent Spy Hunter meets Animal Crossing roundy world?? ;)

(null)

Yep, the basis for this was a game I wrote in .NET at work, called ASCII racer, because the game was just rendered in a textbox (and later still rendered text, but using GDI+).

It's quite nice, but this version doesn't have all that's available in ASCIIRacer (like the "cats" walking in the middle of the road). Probably stick that in the next version. Maybe force a maximum length of the course too, but I'm not sure if you need it. Nobody will crawl through the level to get a high score because it's so boring.

Did you try the PND? Did it run okay? Did it let you change the settings (keys/music) and save and load them properly (the file should appear in the appdata folder)

If you did, and it all worked, I'll upload it to the repo

Cheers

The PND works just fine, though the menu entry ended up in Games -> Other.

Changing and saving settings also works fine though I'd recommend changing the default selection button from enter to end. (Gamepad 'B')

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
The PND works just fine, though the menu entry ended up in Games -> Other.
Cheers, I'll update my PXML file

Changing and saving settings also works fine though I'd recommend changing the default selection button from enter to end. (Gamepad 'B')
Yeah, it was like this because I was testing on Windows, so it was an easy key-combo on keyboard. I'll swap that at the same time as I update the PXML.

Thanks both for the help

Looks great - just wanted to report that it runs fine on my Pandora (Zaxxon HF5) too. Although its a bit monotonous after a few minutes, and it reminds me a lot of the sort of game we'd get in the type-in days in the 80's .. there were tons of racer games where the goal was simply survival before the walls cam crashing in .. it would be nice if there was an additional shooting element (Spy Hunter style), or maybe upgrades/mods, and so on - but I guess these sorts of gameplay features will be more likely to be implemented once you've got the 1.0 out there, at least ..

Anyway, nice work! I really like seeing Sparrow3D being used that way ..

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure exactly what additional elements are going to be added, but there will be some.

ASCIIRacer (this game's predecessor) was basically written in VB.NET, just displaying several lines of text. To break the monotony, we added "cats", that randomly get placed in the road, but they also walk side to side. Certainly made it more interesting, because even on the wide roads, if you weren't paying attention, you could still wipeout.

My current planned modifications before the next release are:

• Adding the "cats" (moving obstacles)
  • Tweaking the speeds. Higher top speed, faster deceleration, but retain the slow acceleration (to "punish" slowing down :p )
  • Better HUD, and include speed
  • Add some SFX

Not really sure on the shooting element, and not really sure what upgrades would give you. I kind of want it as one of those games that when you're on a long journey, you can pass around your mates for a quick contest. I found Spout was great for that. Thanks for the suggestions though, I will keep them in mind

Also, I really could do with a better car model (maybe one with wheels and a bottom), if anybody knows any source I can use?

Edit: In case anybody is interested, the source code is also available in my website. It's got a Visual Studio 2008 project file, though it's easily imported into Code::Blocks for Pandora builds

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, nice work! I really like seeing Sparrow3D being used that way ..
I like seeing sparrow3D used in SOME way :D

Nice work, pmprog, good to see, that my engine is usefull. As your code seems to be open, maybe I compile it for Linux and gp2x, too... :-D

Nice work, pmprog, good to see, that my engine is usefull. As your code seems to be open, maybe I compile it for Linux and gp2x, too... :-D
Please do. If you would like me to host either release on my website, feel free to send them across, or at least send me a link, so I can update my website

BTW - The game currently doesn't really support resolution below 800x480, so you'll need to make some changes to several of the stages.

If you need any help understand my code framework, give me a shout.

Additionally, it would be good if the score increased faster in narrower spaces, to make harder parts have higher rewards.

I'll give this a shot tonight. I used to do stuff like this on my Vic-20 back in the day!

Additionally, it would be good if the score increased faster in narrower spaces, to make harder parts have higher rewards.
Interesting, but as every player playing the same track, nobody will really benefit.

Back