N64 Emulator

If i can play Mario 64 , mariokart and waverace with sound. its sure i will buy the pandora.

Good luck with your port.

thanks again

( please i know i must not ask it here, but is the psx emu for pandora already fullspeed ? thanks for answer )

PlopperZ said:
If it only had more characters SSB would be the best in the series.

Don't forget Starfox 64!
You read my mind. Seriously, I have nothing to add.
Except maybe many thanks for Zod. Amazing work, dude. You put this stuff out so fast, I can hardly refresh your homepage fast enough.

As far as speed goes, my bet is... 75-80% speed after the first few (say, 6) weeks, with the first day's builds being about 10-10.5 FPS.
Of course, this is completely based on my "feelings" about the matter and has very little to do with technical speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbr said:
As far as speed goes, my bet is... 75-80% speed after the first few (say, 6) weeks, with the first day's builds being about 10-10.5 FPS.
Of course, this is completely based on my "feelings" about the matter and has very little to do with technical speculation.
I also know nothing of the subject, but I'd imagine we'd have decent speeds (maybe 75%) once everything gets up and running.

i think it will not be long before we get mario 64 near 100% fullspeed, because even on psp ( half cpu speed) mario 64 runs decent in outdoor (castle) , and not so bad in first stage. its my feeling but i know nothing about coding a emu. i hope im right :)

anyway i cant believe the first build worst than the last build of the psp.

( someone can compare the gpu of the pandora with a pc video card in term of performance. is it similar to a voodoo1, savage 4, ati rage pro, surely not a geforce, i ask that because i have no idea of the performance of the gpu)

( NOTE: thanks for the info, i read the thread WOW cant believe psx emu was so great even opengl rendering WOW)

zodttd said:
Here's my plans. I'll try to be as realistic about things as possible when going through the steps.

#1 I've been planning to use Daedalus as my basis of a port.

#2 Even though I have already tried contacting StrmnNrmn by email about his work on Daedalus and whether he was interested in Pandora hardware with no response by email for months, I still believe this as an active project of his (some were doubting). As so, I feel best not to take donations for this project on the Pandora of mine. :)

#3 Today I will be starting the port of Daedalus N64 to the Pandora. This source code and hardware being emulated is very new to me. It may take hours, days, or weeks for a first build.

#4 The first build will be as basic a port as possible. It will give some indication of what I'm getting myself into here in terms of performance. ;)

#5 As soon as I have a first build, I will consider making a video of it running, so you can see how things are progressing. I love making videos and need an excuse to use my new camcorder + tripod for macro shots.

#6 I will have sources available via my git repo at github.com. :)

My feeling is the first build will run slowly. Nothing to be shocked about there. But I do hope it's fast enough that a dynarec and some Pandora specific accelerations/instruction sets can improve performance enough to get games at the spec'd framerate.

Time for me to get things going! Lets see if I get some good progress done today.

Thanks,
ZodTTD
ZodTTD, I know this is the wrong thread but since you have your new camcorder could you post 1 more psx video pretty please :).

Thanks

I would think that Super Mario 64 would eventually be at a playable level, but super smash bros is a different beast. Apparently it has some sort of freaky looping graphics call that is pretty hard to emulate, and it slows down that game a lot. Kinda sucks, it is not much of a looker in terms of graphics quality. Mario Kart is another easy to emulate game, so we will probably see that at a playable speed. The thing with n64 emulation is not that the Pandora can't handle it, it is the fact that you need a really dedicated coder who can spend a lot of time on it. Glad we finally have one! :D

@renejr902

Your last post was probably removed because it had nothing to do with the current topic, Other than for you to show off you new avatar. Which is why your current post is being removed.

If you MUST parade your new avatar for all to see, Please do so in the off topic forum.

Trooper

Dear readers,

I know that zodttd said he was going to start looking at a n64 emu, but how much of a chance do you think there is of an initial multiplayer option? When playing mutiplayer does the system need to work harder. I also heard it was a port and if so, how hard would it be to ad in that funtion. I might be speaking for myself but multiplayer on the n64 was some of the funnest times I had playing video games. In any case will another program be needed to play wirelessly with another pandora (N64 vs.) or can that also be included into the coding(I saw that BLUETOOTH was added!). I know this is just speculation but I cant help being so excited. Thanks for listening

-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine!!!!! :pandora1:

...........................................3 hours later, I guess no one reads this thread anymore

Game_over said:
<

To kinda bring things back down to earth, you can't really say that once you get a game that looks graphically daunting working full speed, that all games in it's library (even just the games that we remembered and enjoyed) that are slightly less intensive will magically work; even be playable.

For example that Indiana Jones, Hybrid Theory, Forsaken, Jet Force Gemini, and even conkers bad fur day, where regarded for being graphically intensive and a couple for being RAM whores. Indiana Jones was probably the single most advanced game in terms of its technology, but that doesn't mean that Blast Corps will be working perfectly once I.J. even shows up on the screen.

Keep your perceptions in check
<

Forsaken should not be that heavy. The entire ship level only contains 2982 triangles! And the rendering engine only displays the current visible groups and uses portal culling so it doesn't waste time sending geometry that won't render. The game was optimized to run on slower machines in the 90's initially a 100mhz cpu ! It requires no advanced rendering techniques and does all it's own very basic physics including bsp collisions for level which is extremely fast... It's single threaded and with a small sleep takes up basically no resources (at least on a modern desktop)... I'd be very interested in optimizing it in any way to make it run faster on the architecture if that's needed.

Please see my post which explains the Pandora port I want to begin: HERE

There are bumps, and then there are OMG IT'S BEEN 3 YEARS LOL!
This thread is very, very out of date and I highly suggest anyone reading it take everything said with that knowledge.

I think someone needs their bollocks bumped. I don't believe in resurrection (not even Jesus, who I have heard was famous for his massive resurrection). How far back through the archives did you have to trawl to find this thread anyway? I bet you had to get it from www.archive.org it's that old.

Hey, sorry I just did a google search and replied to what I found. Didn't realize it was an issue. It's very important to us to find old players and let them know we are still alive..

Back