N64 Emulator

SOLGarion

WARNING
This thread has been bumped. It is 3 years old. It is extremely out of date.

Well there has been some debate as to how well a N64 emulator could function on the Pandora. Looks like we won't have to wait long to find out. If whether it runs full speed or not will affect your buying decision, thank zod for trying to figure it out before they are released to us, the poor drooling public.

<a href="http://www.zodttd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1777&referrerid=306" target="_blank">http://www.zodttd.com/forums/showthread.ph...;referrerid=306</a>

Now now, just take note that no one said it will be good soon.. :) It sure has the potential to, but that will take time. Don't get your fullspeed-goldeneye-hopes up too fast.

Im one of those people who might not get a pandora if there is no n64 emulation, I know the 32bit PSX is sweet with twitsted metal but just think about 64 bit N64 playing Super Mario 64. Sweet.

Tinnus said:
Now now, just take note that no one said it will be good soon.. :) It sure has the potential to, but that will take time. Don't get your fullspeed-goldeneye-hopes up too fast.
When "Golden Eye" and "Perfect Dark" run Full-Speed, I think every other N64 game will run full speed to. Maybe a good way to focus on these games while coding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where there's hope, there's... something good. Nothing wrong in enjoying this first step towards what might be proper N64 emulation on the Pandora. :D

Brandon Orban said:
...I know the 32bit PSX is sweet with twitsted metal...
Then why not get the Pandora and enjoy PSX on top of everything else it has to offer? :)

fusion_power said:
Tinnus said:
When "Golden Eye" and "Perfect Dark" run Full-Speed, I think every other N64 game will run full speed to. Maybe a good way to focus on these games while coding?

While those 2 are great games, the main game in any N64 emulator to get running first and foremost is of course Super Mario 64.
Whilst I'd love a N64 emulator the PSX one has me more excited as it had loads more class games for it (flame time!) but here's my list of N64 games that I wouldn't mind playing again.

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Pilotwings 64
Wave Race 64
Killer Instinct
F-ZeroX
Star Wars games
Goldeneye/Perfect Dark

Though one game I'll gladly never play again - Superman64!

I've been playing Mario Kart 64 in the Virtual Console on Wii lately. Wow, that's an awesome game! The low-poly counts and "poster-board" textures are almost endearing. :D

jaycee900 said:
While those 2 are great games, the main game in any N64 emulator to get running first and foremost is of course Super Mario 64.
If any game runs, that one will be a given. The issues seem to happen when you start broadening what games you want to play.

Perfect Dark is going to be tough to run smoothly. I can't get it fullspeed on my relatively new machine. And no, it's not running Vista, so that's not it. :lol: If you could get it running smooth, that would be amazing. And PD actually has a widescreen mode. :)

Don't get your hopes too far up yet, there is no real reports on how its going.
(I'm as excited as you are :p banjo kazooie to go!)

fusion_power said:
perfect dark doesnt even run at full speed on the n64. :p

:pandora1:

To kinda bring things back down to earth, you can't really say that once you get a game that looks graphically daunting working full speed, that all games in it's library (even just the games that we remembered and enjoyed) that are slightly less intensive will magically work; even be playable.

For example that Indiana Jones, Hybrid Theory, Forsaken, Jet Force Gemini, and even conkers bad fur day, where regarded for being graphically intensive and a couple for being RAM whores. Indiana Jones was probably the single most advanced game in terms of its technology, but that doesn't mean that Blast Corps will be working perfectly once I.J. even shows up on the screen.

Keep your perceptions in check ;).

For those of you who know zod you know how quick he gets ports running and optimized. I am more than sure we will get a full report from him on emulator status and how fast certain games work well before anyone has a chance to pre-order.

This is a dream come true. If anyone can make this work, it's definitely Zod. Add Super Smash Bros and Starfox to the list.

Game_over said:
Indiana Jones was probably the single most advanced game in terms of its technology, but that doesn't mean that Blast Corps will be working perfectly once I.J. even shows up on the screen.
Speaking of Blast Corps, that was a great game I'd love to play again :D

I'm wary of getting caught up in the hype too early... but I'm posting my most desired games anyway. :p Naturally, my wishlist includes three of the most problematic games for emulation.

- Goldeneye (der)
- Perfect Dark (duh)
- Rogue Squadron (I don't think this has been emulated successfully yet)
- Road Rash 64. Seldom mentioned, highly underrated imo. The best in the RR franchise and one of my favourite bang-for-your-buck games of all time. I play it almost daily courtesy of Xbox/Surreal64. B)

Ok, deep breath, patience, calm blue ocean.

Gruso said:
- Road Rash 64. Seldom mentioned, highly underrated imo. The best in the RR franchise and one of my favourite bang-for-your-buck games of all time. I play it almost daily courtesy of Xbox/Surreal64. B)
YES!
Also, I love that one flying game...

Back