Mythic Chess

0-bake posted on Aug 30 2004 at 09:38 AM said:
wow! just tried the 0.6 version and it looks damn good. really professional.
and also good to hear that skill level was permanent on 6, because i couldn't beat it, too :)

but i think, your black and white are too similar, i hardly can't see any difference. i don't know, if i'm the only one, but if there more, maybe you could make the black look more black and the white look more white?

:D :D

when u say too close, do u mean the real looking chess pieces colours being too close

if so use the South Park ones :D :D

ill try to fix em and see if dalto wants to add more

Last edited by a moderator:
About the Bishop not taking Queen bug mentioned earlier(not sure if already said but not if the ones I've read so far)

Last Time I check the Queen Cannot be taken in chess ever. You can only checkmate the queen (she can't move without you being able to "take Her")

Apeiron posted on Sep 1 2004 at 03:11 AM said:
About the Bishop not taking Queen bug mentioned earlier(not sure if already said but not if the ones I've read so far)

Last Time I check the Queen Cannot be taken in chess ever. You can only checkmate the queen (she can't move without you being able to "take Her")

no thats the King, the Queen is just like all the other pieces except with uber-movement

Sorry haven't played in a while.
I get confused because of all the "female of the species is more deadly then the male" stuff.
After I posted I got thinking it was the king cause the queen would be almost impossible to checkmate

Hello,

I'm agree with Dieu666 : promotion (at least Queen by default) and time management would be great (an opening book would be good too).
Are technical draw games implemented (50 moves rule/3 consecutive similar positions...) ?

btw, really good work !

Thor
(Author of GamePartner32, a forgotten Chess program for gp...)

3 consecutive similar move is implemented but for the 50 move without moving pawn nor taking any pieces i didn't try lol.
about promotion, I think it's important to have choice between all pieces (if you can implement queen by default you can implement any pieces I think?)

rtb7 posted on Sep 6 2004 at 12:29 PM said:
Hello,

I'm agree with Dieu666 : promotion (at least Queen by default) and time management would be great (an opening book would be good too).
Are technical draw games implemented (50 moves rule/3 consecutive similar positions...) ?

btw, really good work !

Thor
(Author of GamePartner32, a forgotten Chess program for gp...)
Yes, I will add promotion in the next version. It was an oversight on my part.

I should also add time management for the human players as it is already implemented for CPU players. What should happen if time expires and the person has not moved?

Technical draws are implemented.

Normally, if no time left, player looses.
Time management is/will be round based (n seconds for one move) or game based (n minutes for the game) ?
+ increment (fo blitz, I usually play with 2mn+2s on my computer) ?

Thanx (I was thinking about making a port of Crafty on GP, and now I have time to work on something else).

Thor

Crafty is open source? (sorry I don't know much about chess software)
It is stronger thant GNU chess right? where can you get the source code**? It would be a good idea to port it.
About time management, why not following chess rule? (I mean why using round based time) game based time management is 100 times better.

**EDIT: I found it.

Crafty was always opensource : elo > 2500 == International Grand Master
GnuChess is only 2000/2200
And true, I prefer game based time management too :)

Thor

rtb7 posted on Sep 10 2004 at 07:07 AM said:
Crafty was always opensource : elo > 2500 == International Grand Master
GnuChess is only 2000/2200
And true, I prefer game based time management too :)

Thor
Could someone explain how official time management works? I would prefer to not have to read a chess rulebook to figure it out if possible.

I dunno about the time management stuff, but if it's not too hard it'd be great if getting a pawn to the end could get ya a queen, or if you still have a queen another peice (maybe a rook, or an option of which)

These are the time rules:

There is a set amount of time. i dont know how long. i guess its variable.

Say, half an hour.

So when its your move, the amount of time u have left decreaces.

As soon as you have made ur move, the timer stops, and the timer for the other player starts.

The timer is so u move quickly.

One the timer reaches 0, that player looses.

yes sir

Deleted User is right.
And, you can have a time bonus (in seconds) too after each move (usually during fast games : blitz)
The player should select how many minutes he wants to play from 2 (bullet) to 120.

Thor

I just finished a version that allows you to dynamically load piece and board graphics off your SMC. If anyone is interested in creating some new graphics for MC and would like to test it with me please PM me.

Dalto posted on Feb 18 2005 at 08:21 AM said:
I just finished a version that allows you to dynamically load piece and board graphics off your SMC. If anyone is interested in creating some new graphics for MC and would like to test it with me please PM me.
I'm glad you are back and working on Mythic Chess again, I hope you'll find the time to fix the difficulty settings. The game is beautiful and functional, now it just needs to be easier for the intelligently challenged like me ;)

raven posted on Feb 20 2005 at 03:26 PM said:
I'm glad you are back and working on Mythic Chess again, I hope you'll find the time to fix the difficulty settings. The game is beautiful and functional, now it just needs to be easier for the intelligently challenged like me ;)

I hope to have a new version out tonight or tomorrow that has the level stuff fixed as well as pawn promotion. I will need help testing it though. I have trouble telling when it is playing better or worse since I am a terrible chess player.

Mythic Chess 0.7 Released

Changes:
Implemented Pawn Promotion
Added the ability to load custom pieces and boards from the SMC dynamically
Bug Fix: Skill level fixed(I think)

Features:
Full implementation of Chess rules
The ability to optionally undo your last move if it was poor
Play either, both or no sides of the board
Load custom pieces and boards from the SMC dynamically
Six selectable piece sets
Six selectable boards

As always please feel free to post any bugs/problems/requests here.

EDIT: Download available on the first post of this topic

Back