Mythic Chess

Bingo Jesus posted on Aug 23 2004 at 06:32 PM said:
Along the same lines as the bug before if you change boards or sets while a piece is selected various different graphical errors happen, such as peices from both sets apparing on the board, the board shifting to the side of where the peices are making the peices lie on the lines between squares or graphical "noise" taking the place of the selected peice. Maybe you should disable the menu while a peice is selected.

(Sorry if I misspelled peice)
the reason some of the sets cross over is coz I asked Dalto if it would be possible to allow pieces to overlap (like usually 2D chess games) he said he could do it but he would have to put the board in a different place on the screen

therefore pieces 1,2 & 3 are incompatible with board 4 & 5 and vice versa

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmagoo posted on Aug 23 2004 at 09:27 PM said:
therefore pieces 1,2 & 3 are incompatible with board 4 & 5 and vice versa
I am going to change the options menu to make it not allow you to do that when I make them not ass ugly.

EDIT: Deleted User, if you see any more wierd rules problems like that I would appreciate it if you could save the game and send it to me so I can look at it.

Unless I'm missing it, there dosen't seem to be an option to remuse a game in the same state you left it once accessing the menu.

Bingo Jesus posted on Aug 24 2004 at 11:22 AM said:
Unless I'm missing it, there dosen't seem to be an option to remuse a game in the same state you left it once accessing the menu.
Pressing b will get you but but I will add an exit menu choice.

It's getting better and better :)
I noticed that saving a game does not save the type of board and pieces, it would look better if it did (it's really strange when a saved game looks different when started up again).

I asked before but would really like to be able to save a default setting: board and pieces and level setting. It's nice to start the game up and be able to play with your preferred settings right away.

Does the level setting actually do anything? I have played two games the same way on the highest and the lowest settings and the computer opponent responded the exact same way.

Anyway, thanks for this great game, I am really enjoying it.

raven posted on Aug 28 2004 at 12:47 PM said:
It's getting better and better :)
I noticed that saving a game does not save the type of board and pieces, it would look better if it did (it's really strange when a saved game looks different when started up again).

I asked before but would really like to be able to save a default setting: board and pieces and level setting. It's nice to start the game up and be able to play with your preferred settings right away.
I think it should svae the board and piece settings automatically, but what about the other options? Should they save automatically or should you have to save them manually?

raven posted on Aug 28 2004 at 12:47 PM said:
Does the level setting actually do anything? I have played two games the same way on the highest and the lowest settings and the computer opponent responded the exact same way.
That's an interesting bug. Suprised nobody has noticed that before :) I will fix that in 0.7.

I am not going to have access to my development machine for a couple days because I am rebuilding this machine and rearranging my office.

So, I wanted to release a version with the changes that I had ready to date.

v0.6 of Mythic Chess is now available!

Changes:
New Board, South Park
New Board, Real Pieces
Added a main menu item to select a chess set
Added a exit menu option
Added a new icon
Added a new splash screen
Bug Fix: You can no longer select an aspected board with non-aspected pieces
Bug Fix: New game during move causes odd problems

As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

EDIT: Also, I have started to put a Mythic Chess website up. It should be up late this weekend or early next week. It will include additional contributed chess sets as well as the source code.

I like this chess game ;)
But I totaly suck at it (it seems). Can't beat the computer at easiest level. :mellow:
Nice game!!! Thank you very much!

Grinder X posted on Aug 28 2004 at 06:01 PM said:
But I totaly suck at it (it seems). Can't beat the computer at easiest level. :mellow:
That's a bug actually. The computer always plays at level 6. Will be fixed in next version.

1 thing i noticed which is completyly weird:

I was plying the game for a few minutes, and switched it off.
The next day, the icon was blank! on "G" letter. I opened it, and it jest rebooted my GP. Weird, huh?

1 other thing. Would it be possable to make the CPU make it moves faster? It took me once nearly 1min!

Dalto posted on Aug 28 2004 at 02:26 PM said:
I think it should svae the board and piece settings automatically, but what about the other options? Should they save automatically or should you have to save them manually?
Automatic saving would be great, I would also include the skill level. That way you would only have to change it when you get better at it instead of setting it to your level all the time.

Thanks, Dalto, I'm going to bed but I'm not going to sleep till I test this, by the morning I'll post my findings of this new version.

Dalto posted on Aug 28 2004 at 09:18 PM said:
That's a bug actually. The computer always plays at level 6. Will be fixed in next version.

damn, and I thought im a complete chess loser :lol:

This isn't a bug but something I've noticed could be a useful feature if you had the time to implent it. I'm not a Grand Master, and I can' remeber the layout of the board all the time. So if the computer moves a peice when I'm not watching the screen I often have no Idea what just happened. The move written down on the right hand side dosen't help as I have not Idea what it means. Is it possible to set the shoulder buttons to track thought the moves, i.e. the L button shows previous moves and the R takes you back towards the current move?

I'm really sorry, I'm a really bad chess player.

Horscht posted on Aug 29 2004 at 10:26 AM said:
Dalto posted on Aug 28 2004 at 09:18 PM said:

damn, and I thought im a complete chess loser :lol:
Yeah me too :D
Nice to hear Dalto. Hope you can fix it.
One thing that would be nice:
When moving a piece, the position it moved from should be marked and the new position too. So that it is easier to see what happend.

Coooooooooool a chess game!!!!
I've played chess in competition for 10 years I'll try it and see if it can beat me.

I saw that someone had some idea concerning new chess rules, There's a variation of chess called Fishess (at least "Fishecs" in French from the American world champion Fisher) where you don't need to change the AI at all (except if you've implemented Openings).
The rule is to set random places for the pieces for the 1st and 8th line but you have to still be able to castle (which means, one rook at the left of the king and one at the right) I think this is a very interesting style of game as people who are strong in chess Opening won't be in fichess (so now I can beat them GNARK GNARK).

Now something about real chess, is clock implemented? if it is maybe you could add Fisher's rule (HIM AGAIN??) which means each time you play a move you have x second more on your clock.

Congratulation for this game and sorry for my bad English
I'm gonna test is right now!

wow! just tried the 0.6 version and it looks damn good. really professional.
and also good to hear that skill level was permanent on 6, because i couldn't beat it, too :)

but i think, your black and white are too similar, i hardly can't see any difference. i don't know, if i'm the only one, but if there more, maybe you could make the black look more black and the white look more white?

that's the problem with most of the crazy/funny pieces set...

I tested Mythic chess yesterday and I think i'd give him a elo fide(chess international rating) approximation of 1800/1900 at level 6 (which is very good).
I think it has already been said but in last version you can't promote your pawn when they're on the eight's line.
It is important to be able to play Black or White (if it is possible i didn't see how)
there's no clock at all (that would be useful but difficult to implement)(a clock is what limit your time playing, for example you can have 5mn for the whole game and you're opponent too)
I've many other suggestions but there all little details...

Back