Mythic Chess

Dalto

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
All,

The first beta of Mythic Chess is now available.

Features include:
Full implementation of Chess rules
The ability to optionally undo your last move if it was poor
Play either, both or no sides of the board
Three selectable piece sets
Two selectable boards

As always, feedback welcome!

Also, I still need at least two more piece sets and three more backgrounds if anyone is interested in helping out.

EDIT: Latest version attached -- February 20th, 2005

Cool.

Suggestions

-Alternate rulesets.
-Make it show the name of the piece when its selected.
-A "learn to play chess" mode.
-A nice main menu.
-Less sensitive menu movement,
-Animated pieces?
-MOD playback in the background.
-Better graphics. (The community can fill you in here.)

One small thing I noticed... when the game is done you can't press a key to continue it just stays there (atleast that's what just happened to me)

Enslaved said:
Alternate rulesets.
What kinf of alternate rule sets?

Enslaved said:
Make it show the name of the piece when its selected.
On the right side, in the border?

Enslaved said:
A "learn to play chess" mode.
Hehe....Would need some help here as I don't really know how to play chess much beyond the rules.

Enslaved said:
Less sensitive menu movement
No problem, I don't have access to real hardware right now so it's hard to test timing. I will have an update out tonight or tomorrow.

Enslaved said:
A nice main menu.
Yeah...I'm hoping Antiriad will have time to make a splash screen then I will redo the menu's

Enslaved said:
Animated pieces?
If someone can provide an animated piece set I could probably implement it.

Enslaved said:
MOD playback in the background.
Got a MOD file?

Enslaved said:
Better graphics. (The community can fill you in here.)
Hehe...those are graphics from the community ;)

Still trying to get more though

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooka posted on Aug 21 2004 at 01:58 AM said:
One small thing I noticed... when the game is done you can't press a key to continue it just stays there (atleast that's what just happened to me)
Hehe....I just never have the patience to play to the end. ;)

Did you win or lose?

So, did you end up using the pieces I sent you? I know they're not perfect, but 28x28 pixels is kind of hard to work with (though I should have cropped it before resizing, now that I think about it) and it was hard to get the white pieces the right color. I used photos from a set that I have, but I just changed the colors since it saved a lot of time and the pieces would look the exact same otherwise.

I'd test it myself, but I don't have a GP32 atm.

spongebue posted on Aug 21 2004 at 02:28 AM said:
So, did you end up using the pieces I sent you? I know they're not perfect, but 28x28 pixels is kind of hard to work with (though I should have cropped it before resizing, now that I think about it) and it was hard to get the white pieces the right color. I used photos from a set that I have, but I just changed the colors since it saved a lot of time and the pieces would look the exact same otherwise.

I'd test it myself, but I don't have a GP32 atm.
Yep, your pieces are piece set 2. They are in there.

EDIT: I also mentioned you in the readme along with which pieces you did.

who made the AI? i mean, if you say, you can't play chess well....
just interested...

This game looks great so far Dalto :)

Hmm... alternate rulesets... Well, you could try a setting in which all pawns are instantly queens... or perhaps putting a few unusable squares on the board (effectively just a piece controlled by a third non-existant player who can't do anything and can't be taken). Or you could implement draughts or latrunculus in as well. Or even Go (which is a truly amazing game) though that runs on a slightly different board and probably runs into waaay too many possibilities to have a computer player that'd actually play well at all fast (though if you want to get some AI for it that we could need to wait for, GNUgo is fairly good).

Firstly I'd like to say how great this is, really good work!

2 bugs I've encountered so far:

1) I had my blue Bishop, able to travel diagonally along blue squares. I could move him about fine but when I had the chance to take the red Queen diagonally, I couldn't.

I would select the Bishop, move him over the red Queen who was diagonally to the left of my Bishop, but my Bishop was placed back onto the square he was on before.

^ I dont think anything else would've caused this behaviour i.e., it wouldn't have placed me in check.

2) I've also just experienced the split screen bug (caused by double buffering using the Gamepark SDK isn't it?), which is a nightmare on a chess board ;P

0-bake posted on Aug 21 2004 at 11:09 AM said:
who made the AI? i mean, if you say, you can't play chess well....
just interested...
It's a slightly modified version of the gnuChess engine under the covers

lek said:
1) I had my blue Bishop, able to travel diagonally along blue squares. I could move him about fine but when I had the chance to take the red Queen diagonally, I couldn't.

I would select the Bishop, move him over the red Queen who was diagonally to the left of my Bishop, but my Bishop was placed back onto the square he was on before.

^ I dont think anything else would've caused this behaviour i.e., it wouldn't have placed me in check.
Interesting....if anyone sees this bug again I would appreciate a picture of the board so I can replicate it. Perhaps I will add the ability to save the current board position to the SMC.

lek said:
2) I've also just experienced the split screen bug (caused by double buffering using the Gamepark SDK isn't it?), which is a nightmare on a chess board ;P
Damn, that sucks. I will have to look into that. Odd though, Mythic Chess is by no means graphic intensive. I am using Mirko's SDK for this project.

No it's caused by double buffering without the gamepark sdk. I think mrmirko had a fix for it in the works or its already done. Ask him.

Back