My Zelda broke...

Viking

So, I was gonna play Twillight Princess on my awesome GC. And when I found the disk, I lifted it up and it split in half...

SO my disk is broken in half, but I have a modified Gamecube so it can play back-up games from a DVD (Not my idea, my brothers). So I know we do not talk about if I should download it illegaly and that stuff, the point is I got the game in .ISO. So my question is.

How do I burn a GC game to a DVD to make it play on my GC?

I've allready tested this (my brother) and it worked (also, another broken game. I had a temper issue as a kid). so, any help?

Is the disk reader modified? Unmodified drives are very picky about the disk you use, but it should be no more complicated than just burning it at around 2X.

google is your friend. My roommate in college had a modded GC and Wii and I'm pretty sure he just burned images normally with no issue. the first 1.5 gb's will propagate to the inner circle first.

The reason i ask is because I've never done this for my GC, and I HAVE googled. Couldn't find anything that explained why twillight princess wouldn't run on my GC

But i'll try again on 2X :)

2x wont help you any. just use IMGBurn and burn at whatever fastest the disc supports, but as mentioned above, the ngc laser is very anal about its POT and it has to be adjusted to read discs. oh and i forgot. the ngc only accepts quality discs. ritek g05 mini-dvd was the best at the time of the ngc, dunno if theres anything better now or if you have your case modded like me to accept full dvds. dont bother with crap like memorex or office max crap dvds. they have to be a certain dye. and adjusting the POT is quite easy, and google will show you many tutorials

Last edited by a moderator:
2x wont help you any. just use IMGBurn and burn at whatever fastest the disc supports, but as mentioned above, the ngc laser is very anal about its POT and it has to be adjusted to read discs. oh and i forgot. the ngc only accepts quality discs. ritek g05 mini-dvd was the best at the time of the ngc, dunno if theres anything better now or if you have your case modded like me to accept full dvds. dont bother with crap like memorex or office max crap dvds. they have to be a certain dye. and adjusting the POT is quite easy, and google will show you many tutorials

I use some cheap MiniDVD-R's from DX, works fine with a totally unmodified cube.

Oh, then I just got lucky with my other disk huh? Because my brother bought them real cheap at a local store, and it worked fine :p

But yeah, do you have any sugestion what kind of DVDs I should get?

Normally, It depends on the system and what it'll accept, but norally DVD-R are a safe bet. MiniDVD-R if you can find them, because they are close to the form factor of the GC disks. Note: I have never done anything like this for the GC, so I may be wrong.

On a side note, remember how the triforce split in OOT, because Ganon was unworthy? Well, from your statement of events we can infer that... y'know.

(Sorry, someone had to say it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally, It depends on the system and what it'll accept, but norally DVD-R are a safe bet. MiniDVD-R if you can find them, because they are close to the form factor of the GC disks. Note: I have never done anything like this for the GC, so I may be wrong.

On a side note, remember how the triforce split in OOT, because Ganon was unworthy? Well, from your statement of events we can infer that... y'know.

(Sorry, someone had to say it.)
Haha! When I think about it, it sounds pretty funny! :p

But I own the game, so yeah, we could argue about Copyrights. but I do not think that you were refering to that? But yeah, hilarious!

as i said, ritek(ridata) g-05 work very nicely, so do g04's i think

Yeah, but now I have bought DVD -R and no luck! My file is not larger than 1.45 GB and I assume the regular GC disks are 1.5?

what is the problem? which dvd-r are you using? as i said, the ngc laser is highly anal about the quality of discs it reads, ritek g04 will work, so will ritek g05, which are regular sized discs, which you would need to buy a modified case for your ngc. and even after all this, youre likely to need to take the gamecube apart to reach the motherboard and adjust the POT level, off the top of my head, it has to be anywhere around 90-180 ohm for it to work correctly, this is also a good way to keep your gamecube in top shape, the ohm level will go up by default over time, ive seen gamecubes with a 500ohm level and this is very damaging to the laser. doing all this is really simple with the right guide, a tiny screwdriver, and a multimeter/VOM

But a while ago, I had backup of Super Smash Bros. And it works fine running from a DVD, also Tales of Phantasia. And I am using the same cheap DVD -R my brother used 4 years ago. So why does my old backup games work and not the new ones? Do I need to open the GC, and do something about the CPU speed? I have no idea what to do, but I just remembered it's a Viper modchip installed!

if youre on windows, are you burning your stuff using imgburn? if not, do so. and no its got nothing to do with cpu, the only thing that might/probably has to be adjusted is, as i said multiple times now, the POT level, which is basically the power of the laser. as far as using the same discs your brother used, did you just buy a new spindle of discs? companies are known to change their manufacturer over time, just like taiyo yuden did when they went between japan and taiwan, HUGE difference in quality. also did you get somebody else disc and back that one up, or download somewhere? theres a good chance you got a bad dump, especially if you used torrents

if youre on windows, are you burning your stuff using imgburn? if not, do so. and no its got nothing to do with cpu, the only thing that might/probably has to be adjusted is, as i said multiple times now, the POT level, which is basically the power of the laser. as far as using the same discs your brother used, did you just buy a new spindle of discs? companies are known to change their manufacturer over time, just like taiyo yuden did when they went between japan and taiwan, HUGE difference in quality. also did you get somebody else disc and back that one up, or download somewhere? theres a good chance you got a bad dump, especially if you used torrents
Yeah, I am using different DVDs. The working DVDs had 8X speed support and were pretty cheap local store quality, and the new DVDs are white on top and nothing special about them except that they are R-. I also downloaded it somewhere in the deep internet and will try another site that was more legit. (not gonna tell here because I got yelled at the last time I did mention a Torrent site.)

it doesnt seem like youre listening to me when i tell you that the ngc will not read any random disc no matter what you do with it, so i will repeat myself....the nintendo gamecube will not read any random dvd you put into it, regardless of size....the nintendo gamecube will not read any random dvd you put into it, regardless of the size, is this clear?

it doesnt seem like youre listening to me when i tell you that the ngc will not read any random disc no matter what you do with it, so i will repeat myself....the nintendo gamecube will not read any random dvd you put into it, regardless of size....the nintendo gamecube will not read any random dvd you put into it, regardless of the size, is this clear?
I'm so sorry for beeing a hassle, my mind is in a slow state *derp* because I'm reading a lot for my exames. So for my understanding, you're saying if I'm going to play backup games on my GC, it has to be the same that it was modefied for? Like the DVDs my brother used, and if so, can I adjust the laser so it can run backup games from another kind of R- DVDs?

And again, sorry if I keep missunderstand what you are trying to tell me :(

Different DVD-Rs have different quality. It could be that the old ones you used were actually pretty good, and these ones are not so good. The new ones are good enough to play in DVD players and on your PC, but not the Gamecube. The only advice I can give is to try a few different DVD-Rs.

Back