My Mp Pandora

Thanks for the video Craig, but for whatever reason, it is stopping at 3:41 so I can't watch the last little bit...

Anyway, I like the hinge. I know there has been a lot of speculation about it, but it looks like it will work well. My wife has a DS Lite and she thinks the Pandora's hinge is better, but I guess I will know for certain when I have them side by side.

I also have to say I really enjoy the color scheme. I think it looks perfect in your hands and I am so glad you guys decided to go with this specific design. I think the clamshell will protect the unit well.

Looking forward to my Pandora :D

Ohhhhh--- I chose the wrong day to start a new job... Stuck at work, all day, I can't watch these things till I get home! 8 hours+ without Pandora updates!! NOOOOO!!

It looks amazing guys, like everyone else, I can't wait. :)

Nice vid next time get the woman (this wasnt ment rude in anyway if you might think) to film you while playing your pandora istead of playing with your pasta :D gets rid of the having to play via the seeker and the acward balancing of camera's

craigix said:
Frustratingly I've ran out of sockets next to the Pandora.

I have something in every socket in this room. I was just laughing to myself when plugging in the Camera battery.

I've got my mac, the pc, the pandora, the router, the lamp and the battery.

Does anyone really want to come and see the Pandora(s)? They are so cool you are welcome to come and see them.
I'm definitely tempted... after all I want to a random uni lecture to see the prototype... :lol:

EDIT: oooh nice vid! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeetle said:
Nice vid next time get the woman (this wasnt ment rude in anyway if you might think) to film you while playing your pandora istead of playing with your pasta :D gets rid of the having to play via the seeker and the acward balancing of camera's
99% of internet video I think 'why don't they just find someone to operate the camera for them?' I don't know though, they have college courses on camera operation so maybe it's harder than it looks and wouldn't look any better than it does when the person demonstrating it makes the video.

Thanks very much Craig :)

The panda looks sweet as.

What kind of noodles are you eating?

Also was this 4am in the morning, man I can't sleep if I eat that before bed hehe :p

Edit: Craig, could you do your next video showing off Snes maybe Yoshi's Island?

Christ, I live near Bristol and that is a bum shatteringly long trip from here to cd. How about posting me one of yours for a day's worth of inspection?

inmyhand.jpg

Warpshade said:
second exodous said:
Warpshade said:
craigix said:
Does anyone really want to come and see the Pandora(s)? They are so cool you are welcome to come and see them.
I'm less than an hour's drive from County Durham. I MAY have to "persuade" my friend with the car into joining me for this little jaunt. I'm a first-batcher and he's deciding whether or not to order from the second batch based on mine, so it's all good really.
Heck, if he saw one before the first batch sell out I'm sure he'll get one.
Hah, true enough, although I think he just spent a large amount of money upgrading his desktop PC (AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB L3 Cache Retail Box Processor, ATI HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card OEM, Crucial 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ballistix Memory if anyone's curious) so I doubt he can fund it in time. Still, college is over at the end of this week and once he's recovered from his 18th birthday I may have to prod him with a stick and say "pretty please with a cherry on top can we go see the crazy noodle eating man and play with his magic box for a while?".

wtf. That's the exact computer I built my brother.

I bet tomorrow 50 people are going to show up to Craig's house demanding Pandora time.

I am very confused (and somewhat scared) about to the final layout of the ABXY buttons. Until now, in the Pandora's test application and the first prototypes the layout was:

Code:
 X 
Y A
 B
Which I beliebe to be the best choice: two main buttons, A-B (next to the thumb) and two secondary buttons, X-Y.

In a recent picture, the layout was:

Code:
 Y
B A
 X
Which I also believe it's ok: there are still two "logical" main buttons, A and X. It was told that this scheme was intended to be unique among other consoles and handhelds. Perfect.

But in this latest video of the Mass Production Pandora, the layout is the awful one from gp2x, which also has been used in the renders:

Code:
 Y
A B
 X
We should have learned from GP2X experience and developers being unable to agree on a "de-facto" standard for a main action button. In GP2X, some devs assigned "A" as main button because it's "A", despite it's in a "less logical" position. Others, assigned "B" or "X" because they are in a more logical position to the be main action buttons.

IMHO, copying the layout from GP2X would be a major error, and it would be a very important point I'd really dislike in my Pandora. Don't tell me "You can remap the buttons" (not all apps have this choice) or "You can dissasemble your pandora and exchange the buttons" (the problem will persist). It's just a matter of common sense allowing the community to settle a kind of logical and standard behavior for the action buttons. This was one of the major annoyances I experienced when using the GP2X, and it would be a shame if we'd have to experience it again in Pandora.

Yesss, I also know that this discussion has been already done several times. So I'm just asking for a final confirmation on what will the final layout be.

It's too bad we couldn't just blatantly use the Super Nintendo layout.

darien said:
It's too bad we couldn't just blatantly use the Super Nintendo layout.
I thought legally we could, or are you talking about trying to keep out of Nintendo's radar?

Edy said:
Don't tell me "You can remap the buttons" (not all apps have this choice) or "You can dissasemble your pandora and exchange the buttons" (the problem will persist).
I don't think stressing to everyone to make their programs to have mappable buttons would be too outrageous. Craig could make it a requirement to get into the app store, I'm sure everyone will listen then.

This way you could remap your buttons in the OS and move them around physically. I don't know though, I mentioned this before and everyone thought that was a bad idea.

I think the buttons should spell out 'ARSE' and avoid the whole A,B,X,Y minefield

It's not a MP Pandora until all the case bugs have been ironed out and the final high quality plastics and coatings etc have been employed. To me, it's still a prototype - but it's the most complete prototype we've had so far. And I'd be very happy to have one of these prototypes in my hands right now...
In another week or so I guess we'll be seeing final glorious cases which we can honestly call MP. Then (for me as I'll be away at xmas) it'll be a short wait into the new year and I can max out on all these emulators and roms I've been collecting. :D

Back