Mweston Tries Out A Range Of Leds (Photo)

VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
I have a blue LED and green LED on my Wacom tablet that's constantly on, and it's never once bothered me.
You must not have the same wacom tablet that I do. (I've got whatever their current cheap one is.) The blue LED on it is overpowering and distracting even with room-lights on.
I have an Intuos3, sounds like you might have a Bamboo?

Last edited by a moderator:
-Tj- said:
VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
I have a blue LED and green LED on my Wacom tablet that's constantly on, and it's never once bothered me.
You must not have the same wacom tablet that I do. (I've got whatever their current cheap one is.) The blue LED on it is overpowering and distracting even with room-lights on.
I have a Bamboo Fun, and it's not overpowering or distracting.

-Tj- said:
VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
Yea, Some model of Bamboo Fun. It lights up the room with its pulsing blue touch-ring.

emusan said:
There are many different brightnesses of blue LED's, however, as others have stated, due to its place in the visual spectrum we view it differently than other colored LED's. You can also dim LED's by either lowering the voltage or applying a pwm signal to one, which can be done(I think, though maybe not with the Pandora) in software.
The Pandora LEDs are connected to a PWM control. I remember MWeston saying so, but I can't find the explicit quote. Here's an implicit quote, and something very cool: there's apparently a GPIO line run to the back of the lid which could be used for either an LED or a button, but he specifically mentions that it is not PWM driven (so the LED would be either on or off, no fading) which suggests to me that the other LEDs are PWM driven.
Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

You guys are missing an opportunity here.
I propose:
[uv][uv][uv][uv]__________________[uv][uv][uv][uv]
GET A TAN WHILE YOU PLAY YO GAEMZ!

El Jefe said:
You guys are missing an opportunity here.
I propose:
[uv][uv][uv][uv]__________________[uv][uv][uv][uv]
GET A TAN WHILE YOU PLAY YO GAEMZ!

lol I bet you I would get a serious burn then die :(.

emusan said:
fusion_power said:
I wonder, if there is only one type of blue LED, the bright one. Is there no weaker, not so bright blue LED or do LED's indeed come only in one specifig brightness?
There are many different brightnesses of blue LED's, however, as others have stated, due to its place in the visual spectrum we view it differently than other colored LED's. You can also dim LED's by either lowering the voltage or applying a pwm signal to one, which can be done(I think, though maybe not with the Pandora) in software.

Actually, if you've ever played with LEDs, you'd know that when dimming, it goes something like bright...bright...bright...tiny-glowing-square. There's no intermediate point.

Alec  said:
emusan said:
fusion_power said:
I wonder, if there is only one type of blue LED, the bright one. Is there no weaker, not so bright blue LED or do LED's indeed come only in one specifig brightness?

Actually, if you've ever played with LEDs, you'd know that when dimming, it goes something like bright...bright...bright...tiny-glowing-square. There's no intermediate point.

Thats not true at all, it depends on how you are controlling the Voltage and Current applied to the LED, but in most cases there is a mid point. With PWM you are normally given 180 or 256(not sure which right now... its late) different voltage levels to send through the pin(I know your not really changing the voltage, but that makes it easier to understand). There will be a value somewhere in there that will make blue LED's(or any other color for that matter) nice and calm, and a value that will make it quite bright.

Alec  said:
emusan said:
fusion_power said:

thats why we usually use pwm instead of real voltage regulation.

anyway IIRC the PWM was connected to the keyboard led (pads) instead of those mounted above, also since they posted n amount of pwm ports available (4 IIRC) so if we reduce the keyboard pwm and those in the ext port i dont see how it has anymore ports

VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
Yea, Some model of Bamboo Fun. It lights up the room with its pulsing blue touch-ring.
You're kidding right? :blink: Mine certainly doesn't.

MDave said:
VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
You're kidding right? :blink: Mine certainly doesn't.
Not at all. I'm not trying to say I could stand on the other side of the room and read a newspaper by it, but just sitting on my desk it casts a noticeable pulsing blue on the walls and ceiling.

It's distracting enough that I try to remember keep it face down when I'm not using it.

My computer is in my bed room and it's bright enough (and pulsing enough) that it actually bothers me enough when I'm trying to fall asleep that I'll get out of bed and unplug the thing. (My bedroom, of course, has a zillion other LEDs that are always on that don't bother me at all.)

I'm willing to entertain the possibility that I'm crazy and that this particular shade of blue triggers a sort of insanity.

I've never had a problem with blue LEDs being annoying/too bright with the exception of the blue "Cylon" style cycling of my Wii when I receive an email. Annoying as hell - thankfully you can turn that off.

I personally don't fancy blue LEDs, red ones are my favorites actually. But concerning the blinding quality of blue LEDs in some cases, has anyone thought of changing the resistor used between the driving pin and the LED? You technically don't have to drive the LED to its rated output. (heck, technically, if those LEDs are driven with a PWM output, you could just adjust the (apparent brightness) through software!)

Just my 2 cents on blue. B)

PS: these are probably all surface mounted... if they were through hole, it'd be very easy to customize DIY style. Surface mounted is a bit more of a challenge but should still be doable.

hmm, i would rather vote on
RGBW RGBW

so we could play with at least 15 colorz

The standard orange/yellow/red/green LEDs are lame. Is there a more subtle blue?

iBrew said:
The standard orange/yellow/red/green LEDs are lame. Is there a more subtle blue?
yes there is, if you read the last few pages of the topic we discuss that.

Back