Mweston Tries Out A Range Of Leds (Photo)

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
different_lights.jpg

Blue tends to wash out or blend too much with nearby colors, even with the current set ridiculously low

Good. Blue LEDs are the devil. Continue the research!

I've seen those lights before. Hovering above my house! They're coming to take me awaaaaayyy!! :p

An interesting choice of colours, but please - lose the pink!

The purple looks pretty good imo. At least it wouldn't be boring green/orange/red.

I'm a fan of the ones in the lower left. But I'm color blind so I can't say with confidence what color that is ;)

Gruso said:
Good. Blue LEDs are the devil. Continue the research!

Agreed! They are way too bright. I prefer the "classics": red and green.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if he's seriously looking at options here, or just playing. Considering the boards are well on the way to being populated, it's probably the latter.

The lower left looks best to me too. Nice solid colours, no glare or washout.

Disagreed! I love blue LEDs, but sadly, they appear so very bright that you're right, we can't in any way use them.

MooTheKow said:
Am I missing something? Shouldn't these things already be done/decided?

No, there is enough time to decide on LED-colors. The boards have been produced, but not populated. The decision has to be made when all the boards will be populated and put into cases. Buying the right amount of LEDs shouldn't be a problem. They are off the shelf products, produced in the millions.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, i can say a thing if i dont see em compared with the outside.

its the same for displays on laptops cameras can fool your eyes very much

The blue led's will look much better in person then from photo's, as taking pictures of LED's is not easy(without making them look like that. Besides, if you REALLY don't like it, just replace it yourself, they're pretty cheap(just a few pennies each), and not the hardest components to replace(as long as you have an ok soldering iron and a little practice/patience).

Though I want to know whether he is just soldering new LED's in in each picture, or if there are multiple LED's? I'm sure that this info is somewhere though.

I would have hoped something like this would already have been decided. I'm getting concerned about when the Pandora'll be assembled if we're not even done deciding on parts.

I'm pretty sure that none of the team has officially commented as to whether or not they have been officially decided or not, even if they hadn't, it doesn't really change anything to buy a few LED's

Also, I would rather have too bright then not bright enough.

I'm not a huge fan of blue leds either. They are often too bright. I like the classic colors. Green, red, amber, etc.

Traffic Lights and blue for bluetooth sounds good!

Green for on / Charged
Orange for Charging / Reading SD Card
Red for Battery nearly depleted.

I've got a strip of 25 blue LEDs and I'm just messing around to see how colors interact. The light pipes I have are not hazed on top either so that could make a difference. I've always been fascinated by gadgets with lights and displays on them for the colors.

What I've learned from messing around is that the colors don't blend well with blue and really only the power LED could be changed for fun. I tried a blue BT LED but it overpowers the orange WiFi LED. I still like the idea of one color for all wireless and I'm not going to start changing things in production since they have already started that. I was thinking about hand modifying a few of the first Pandora systems just for fun as a way of noting their 'first-ness' but that's all. I thought the colors were trippy so I wanted to share. :)

...no I'm not on acid ;)

lol anyone else here going to make all their LED's blue purple and bright green?

Back