Mweston Tries Out A Range Of Leds (Photo)

BaDToaD said:
You won't notice it after someone has shoved your Pandora up your arse sideways for being so annoying :p
It'll help dimming the LEDs at the same time, if you don't mind the smell! Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Paradox said:
it's still going to look really stupid having 2 places for leds with no leds there..
You won't be able to tell that there aren't any leds there. It'll look the exact same as any of the other spots if the LED were off. Or are you saying you'll keep the wifi module on and data continuously streaming to both SD cards just so all the LEDs will be lit up?

c'mon yall, let's give Paradox a break, plus i have to agree that it will look dumb having two places where LEDs would work but aren't used just because, especially when they could be used to very accurately display the remaining battery charge. This is made under the assumption that the current idea (having 1 LED to display the charge) will not be a multi-color LED. If it is a multi-color LED (red/orange/yellow/green or something simmilar) then displaying the charge, with a fair bit of accuracy, will not be a problem.

as a side note, purple LEDs are stupid, can we stick with the reds oranges and greens, and 1 blue for bluetooth just because not many ppl will use it in the first place, and even when they do, it won't be for any length of time.

i like this layout: ####________####

BaDToaD said:
Paradox said:
it's still going to look really stupid having 2 places for leds with no leds there..

You won't notice it after someone has shoved your Pandora up your arse sideways for being so annoying :p

I don't know who that someone would be, but I hope he thoroughly washes his hands afterwards

BaDToaD said:
Paradox said:

honestly, all these comments bashing Paradox are getting annoying. :\

Shock-Socks said:
honestly, all these comments bashing Paradox are getting annoying. :\

Oh come on! The man lives at:

13 Billy Goats Gruff Lane
Grassisgreener
Underbridge
7R0 ll

the op team shoudl sell sufrace mount led's as well as the other parts, (case, nubs, nubby nubby nubs), in different colors so we can order our full set!

changin sm leds are easy, did it on my wiimote, to green ones if anyone wonders... :p

i think go with the unusual pinky/violet and blue i dont want my leds to be too bright otherwise it will reflect off the screen. but having unusual colours would be a welcome change to having the boring standard green/red orange combos seen on every gadget.

Vorporeal said:
Why are we even discussing coloring? Didn't MWeston say, like, 5 pages ago that the colors won't be changed, he was just trying out different combinations for the hell of it?
To inspire people for their mods? I mean, if I can get purple and/or teal surface mount LEDs I might actually be tempted to hack my Pandora even though I'm not that good at soldering. Getting a small enough tip might be an issue, though...

If it's easy to put a software-controlled led there, the first thing I would do is make an RSS reader that gives Morse output to blink the led.

You're just browsing, the led flashes to let you know there is news, you glance down to see the most amazing news and exclaim it, to the great surprise of the guy looking over your shoulder.

Shock-Socks said:
BaDToaD said:
Paradox said:

... Paradox are getting annoying. :\

-Tj- said:
I have a blue LED and green LED on my Wacom tablet that's constantly on, and it's never once bothered me.
You must not have the same wacom tablet that I do. (I've got whatever their current cheap one is.) The blue LED on it is overpowering and distracting even with room-lights on.

I guess it affects different people differently. I have plenty of devices with blue lights which I'm able to ignore. But I know a lot of other people who get p*ssed off using em

i have far too many blue/green/red/amber blinking things in my room right now, its making it hard to type, but if i had a vote i'd go for just plain ol' white, and give us a float_PWM register to play with .. i mean.

yeah, blinking lights guys.

it doesn't *always* have to be on to show info, and anyway all of them might be fun to cycle, eh? disco mode!

please definitely not blue, or my 19" rack will get jealous and fall over. that would be a bad thing.

Too bad you can't use leds that change color like the ones on the DSi. We could choose our color that way.

MWeston said:
I've got a strip of 25 blue LEDs and I'm just messing around to see how colors interact. The light pipes I have are not hazed on top either so that could make a difference. I've always been fascinated by gadgets with lights and displays on them for the colors.

could use some fine grained sandpaper to haze them.

I had to cover the blue LEDs on many of my appliances because they were ridiculously too powerful, the worst was some wireless wiimote "sensor" bar's power led, it blindingly over-shined the TV right into my eyes when put on top of the tv.

WolfSpider said:
Too bad you can't use leds that change color like the ones on the DSi. We could choose our color that way.
Thats actually just 2 LED's, if you had three you could make any color you wanted. It might be possible to mod your Pandora to have 3 LED's in one place, though it would be hard, and you might have to lose some of the other status LED's.

Stephane Hockenhull said:
MWeston said:
I've got a strip of 25 blue LEDs and I'm just messing around to see how colors interact. The light pipes I have are not hazed on top either so that could make a difference. I've always been fascinated by gadgets with lights and displays on them for the colors.

could use some fine grained sandpaper to haze them.

I had to cover the blue LEDs on many of my appliances because they were ridiculously too powerful, the worst was some wireless wiimote "sensor" bar's power led, it blindingly over-shined the TV right into my eyes when put on top of the tv.
I also suggested fine sandpaper for the lightpipe to have a more smooth and uniform look of the LED's. ;)

I wonder, if there is only one type of blue LED, the bright one. Is there no weaker, not so bright blue LED or do LED's indeed come only in one specifig brightness?

fusion_power said:
I wonder, if there is only one type of blue LED, the bright one. Is there no weaker, not so bright blue LED or do LED's indeed come only in one specifig brightness?
There are many different brightnesses of blue LED's, however, as others have stated, due to its place in the visual spectrum we view it differently than other colored LED's. You can also dim LED's by either lowering the voltage or applying a pwm signal to one, which can be done(I think, though maybe not with the Pandora) in software.

Back