Beta Mupen64Plus

SteveM said:
notaz said:
Try prepending 'op_runfbapp', like
Code:
op_runfbapp ./mupen64plus --nogui ...
That did the trick - very handy. Thanks.

Now to figure out the controls. I can't find the start button...

ProTip : op_runfbapp will choke if your command has a parenthasis in it. Even if it's properly escaped.

As the rom file I was testing with had (USA) in the title I wound up quoting and escaping the filename, which I didn't even think was legal, but it was the only way I could make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
ProTip : op_runfbapp will choke if your command has a parenthasis in it. Even if it's properly escaped.
Should be fixed in next firmware update.

Pickle said:
emil10001 said:
I re-downloaded as suggested and now it runs. =)

It does not like the controller plugin though.

which plugin? whats the error?

as i mentioned before I included the blight input, but i havnt been able to get button presses to be recognized once the game has started. This would be a nice plugin to get working since it already has the mapping gui. I hoping i just missed a setting or something.

Sorry for not responding sooner, I just started a new job and it's been really crazy for me the last couple of days. The blight input plugin doesn't get recognized in-game, it runs but says 'No Controller'. I tried it out again, following the suggestions here, and I got it running. I am using the op_runfbapp --nogui that notaz suggested. I am using the ppsp input drive and gles64 video driver. Haven't tried sound yet. Everything seems to work really well in-game, with one exception - I can't figure out how to get out of mupen once it's running. How do you kill it???

Thanks for the awesome work guys!

EDIT: Yes, I tried escape.

notaz said:
VRAndy said:
Should be fixed in next firmware update.
When will next firmware revision be released? I heared that some "bigger" things still missing in the current version (hardware acceleration here and there, power saving features and maybe nub-calibration you don't have to do every time you enable the Pandora). ^^"

Works well, It's faster than I thought, I can seriously see this full speed in the future

Thanks for all the hard work that's going in to it

mvickers03 said:
Works well, It's faster than I thought, I can seriously see this full speed in the future

Thanks for all the hard work that's going in to it

Really? What games have you tried and how have they performed?

Keep up the awesome work devs!!!

I tried MarioKart and Ocarina. Without sound, Both ran at about a 50% normal speed. My Pandora is running at 500mhz.
(I didn't time it with the sound. The skipping music was driving me crazy. CRAZY!)

Halving the resolution(and upscaling) didn't seem to have much effect on how it ran.

In a bout of crazy hopefulness I also tried Conker, but could not get it to even start.

edit: Actually, Ocarina seemed to sometimes run at near real-time while I was running around Kokiri(SIC?) Village, but the interminable cut-scenes that start the game went slow as molasses, as did the beautiful moonlit horse ride cut-scene on the start menu.

So, is anyone having luck escaping from mupen when it's running full-screen with the ppsp input plugin? I've needed to pull the battery on my unit just to get out.

emil10001 said:
So, is anyone having luck escaping from mupen when it's running full-screen with the ppsp input plugin? I've needed to pull the battery on my unit just to get out.
The Pandora button + reset switch didn't do the trick?

Games that i have tried ..

mario 64 around 50fps with sound 850mhz sound skips and frame rate loss when in a level ,close to psp emulation speed.

pilotwings slow ,20fps sounds skips badly ,graphics glitches when ingame ,shadows on plane.

zelda oot 40fps ,sound skips no graphics bugs that i could see in menus or ingame ,some text didn't look righr.

mariokart64 20/40fps very slow in game sound skips bad

fzero x game runs quite fast mabe 20-45 fps graphics glitches on cars and track ,game is playable ,sound skips.

to be honest i am really impressed with this emulator it has real potential and i can see it being full speed in the future ,it is the most impressive emulator on the pandora so far ,controls are nearly perfect ,theres still lots to be done but it rocks ,great work guys.

I am going to test about 40 games over the next few days and give in detail reports on all games.

Tensuke said:
emil10001 said:

Ah, ok, I'll try that next time. Too bad mine didn't come with a reset switch. =/

paddy said:
Games that i have tried ..

mario 64 around 50fps with sound 850mhz sound skips and frame rate loss when in a level ,close to psp emulation speed.

pilotwings slow ,20fps sounds skips badly ,graphics glitches when ingame ,shadows on plane.

zelda oot 40fps ,sound skips no graphics bugs that i could see in menus or ingame ,some text didn't look righr.

mariokart64 20/40fps very slow in game sound skips bad

fzero x game runs quite fast mabe 20-45 fps graphics glitches on cars and track ,game is playable ,sound skips.
What?

Mario 64 and Mario Kart run at a max of 30 fps (25 in the PAL version). Zelda OoT 20 fps. Pilotwings and f-zero can go up to 60fps, you will need to enable frameskip for these games to run at a playable speed.

paddy said:
i can see it being full speed in the future
All these games run full speed without graphics rendering, if the game is lagging, then there is a problem with the frameskip or the audio sync.

There are some speed hacks that can make the dynarec run about 5% faster, but it doesn't work in all games and can crash the emulator. (Works in oot though.)

i didn't have the frame rate indicator on ,so was going on my gut feeling in regards to the framerate ,if i do the 40 odd n64 games with detailed bug reporting i will use the framerate indicator so i can specify the actual fps.

When i was talking about my gut feeling of the frame rate ,60fps would be the fullspeed ,but yes not all games run a 60fps in real life.

ps ,bloody great work Ari64

emil10001 said:
Tensuke said:
emil10001 said:

Ah, ok, I'll try that next time. Too bad mine didn't come with a reset switch. =/

Your Pandora doesn't have a Power switch? How do you turn it on? o_ô

Ari64 said:
All these games run full speed without graphics rendering, if the game is lagging, then there is a problem with the frameskip or the audio sync.

There are some speed hacks that can make the dynarec run about 5% faster, but it doesn't work in all games and can crash the emulator. (Works in oot though.)

Go on... I'm listening. ^_^

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
emil10001 said:

Either pop the battery in and out or use a key or pen or something to get at the little switch in the housing. The switch is there, just not the plastic piece that goes on top of it. So, I worry about it breaking or something if I use it too much. I have e-mailed OP to ask for that part.

Also, doing the pandora key + power switch is a hard reset. Is there not a better way to get out of this emulator in frame-buffer mode? Again, I've tried Escape and many other keys.

emil10001 said:
God Ginrai said:
emil10001 said:

Either pop the battery in and out or use a key or pen or something to get at the little switch in the housing. The switch is there, just not the plastic piece that goes on top of it. So, I worry about it breaking or something if I use it too much. I have e-mailed OP to ask for that part.

Also, doing the pandora key + power switch is a hard reset. Is there not a better way to get out of this emulator in frame-buffer mode? Again, I've tried Escape and many other keys.

Well, I hope you get your part soon.

As for getting out of the application, I don't have my Pandora yet, so I haven't had a chance to mess around to find the Escape sequence. However, are you using xfce? If you are using xfce and you hold the Pandora button, it is supposed to bring up a kill menu and boot all fullscreen apps out of fullscreen. That may help you.

-God Ginrai

As to the escape problem, i havnt found a solution yet...
I was hoping the blight plugin would work and then i could search in it for the method it uses.

God Ginrai said:
Ari64 said:

Go on... I'm listening. ^_^

-God Ginrai

A small speed improvement can be had from assuming the register usage strictly follows the ABI. You can do this by uncommenting the lines in unneeded_registers. Zelda OoT will tolerate a slightly more agressive optimization (2-3% improvement):

Code:
--- new_dynarec.c.orig	2010-04-02 07:24:40.000000000 -0400
+++ new_dynarec.c	2010-05-31 12:23:01.615916916 -0400
@@ -5563,7 +5563,7 @@
         // Branch out of this block, flush all regs
         u=1;
         uu=1;
-        /* Hexagon hack 
+        // Hexagon hack 
         if(itype[i]==UJUMP&&rt1[i]==31)
         {
           uu=u=0x300C00F; // Discard at, v0-v1, t6-t9
@@ -5571,7 +5571,17 @@
         if(itype[i]==RJUMP&&rs1[i]==31)
         {
           uu=u=0x300C0F3; // Discard at, a0-a3, t6-t9
-        }*/
+        }
+        if(start>0x80000400&&start<0x80800000) {
+          if(itype[i]==UJUMP&&rt1[i]==31)
+          {
+            uu=u=0x300FF0F; // Discard at, v0-v1, t0-t9
+          }
+          if(itype[i]==RJUMP&&rs1[i]==31)
+          {
+            uu=u=0x300FFF3; // Discard at, a0-a3, t0-t9
+          }
+        }
         branch_unneeded_reg[i]=u;
         branch_unneeded_reg_upper[i]=uu;
         // Merge in delay slot
This will crash many other games though. If the game doesn't use virtual memory, you can also remove the bounds check on r29 similar to what Strmnnrmn did in Daedalus. This gives a 3-4% speedup:
Code:
--- new_dynarec.c.orig	2010-04-02 07:24:40.000000000 -0400
+++ new_dynarec.c	2010-05-31 12:25:06.391892425 -0400
@@ -2384,9 +2384,13 @@
     if(th>=0) reglist&=~(1<<th);
     if(!using_tlb) {
       if(!c) {
-        emit_cmpimm(addr,0x800000);
-        jaddr=(int)out;
-        emit_jno(0);
+        // Strmnnrmn's speed hack
+        if(rs1[i]!=29||start<0x80001000||start>=0x80800000)
+        {
+          emit_cmpimm(addr,0x800000);
+          jaddr=(int)out;
+          emit_jno(0);
+        }
       }
     }else{ // using tlb
       int x=0;
@@ -2552,12 +2556,18 @@
   else addr=s;
   if(!using_tlb) {
     if(!c) {
+      // Strmnnrmn's speed hack
+      memtarget=1;
+      if(rs1[i]!=29||start<0x80001000||start>=0x80800000)
       emit_cmpimm(addr,0x800000);
       #ifdef DESTRUCTIVE_SHIFT
       if(s==addr) emit_mov(s,temp);
       #endif
-      jaddr=(int)out;
-      emit_jno(0);
+      if(rs1[i]!=29||start<0x80001000||start>=0x80800000)
+      {
+        jaddr=(int)out;
+        emit_jno(0);
+      }
     }
   }else{ // using tlb
     int x=0;
I don't recommend that for normal usage since it will crash the emulator if it doesn't work, but you can experiment if you're trying to optimize a particular game.

You can also add -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp to CFLAGS (2-3% faster, works in every game I've tried). I should make that the default configuration.

Interesting. So, the emulation of the games are being slowed down only by graphics rendering? o_ô

-God Ginrai

Back