Beta Milkytracker

Stuckie

Website
www.stuckieworld.net
This was done entirely from my Pandora using the AUFS fiddling I've described in the Developer's Corner.
I've tested it by booting into my "vanilla" install, but I want to make absolutely sure this works on other Pandoras before releasing it!

This has now been Released:
http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Application/milkytracker.inf
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,102

Let me know how it goes! :)

I've loaded it and I'm playing a demo song.

It doesn't load fullscreen, and the window doesn't fit vertically.

Hope that helped :)

It also seems to be somewhat quiet, maybe me?

That's the default settings, you need to go to the config menu and set it up... JayFoxRox reminded me of the $HOME variable ( can't believe I managed to forget it ) so I'll do another one soon with a decent default config, and hopefully no NAND editing.

As for the quietness, it defaults to 50% volume for whatever reason. It's in the config menus though :) I'll sort it out shortly though!
Thanks for the feedback :)

[edit]
Just fixed those niggles now, please re-grab it from the link above :)
If there's anything else, let me know!
[/edit]

All seems good!

Only thing left is to change it to not touch your home directory. Tut tut ;)

Tried your Gimp PND too. It seems to lag, doesn't it? Even when I overclock it stutters while drawing. Cool though!

It shouldn't be writing to NAND anymore, but there's an issue with the instrument editor that aTc spotted in IRC - it'll crash when you select it.
Very annoying, as I don't know what it is - it literally just hangs with no debug info in a terminal or anything!
I'll try compiling an older version and see if that has the same issue.

As for GIMP, that was a very hacky port as the guide will show you!
I've a few other ideas on how to make it somewhat nicer than symlinking stuff all over the place ;) of course, nothing would beat a proper port with the paths fixed in code.. but if we can get a procedure down for porting repository apps straight into PND files, I think that'd be pretty good :) especially if we can get it so that nothing on the NAND gets touched!

I think perhaps inkscape would work better than GIMP, or one of the other paint programs.. GIMP's a hog ;)

Stuckie said:
It shouldn't be writing to NAND anymore, but there's an issue with the instrument editor that aTc spotted in IRC - it'll crash when you select it.
Very annoying, as I don't know what it is - it literally just hangs with no debug info in a terminal or anything!
I'll try compiling an older version and see if that has the same issue.

As for GIMP, that was a very hacky port as the guide will show you!
I've a few other ideas on how to make it somewhat nicer than symlinking stuff all over the place ;) of course, nothing would beat a proper port with the paths fixed in code.. but if we can get a procedure down for porting repository apps straight into PND files, I think that'd be pretty good :) especially if we can get it so that nothing on the NAND gets touched!

I think perhaps inkscape would work better than GIMP, or one of the other paint programs.. GIMP's a hog ;)

Is there any chance The Gimp could be optimised any? I was having fun with it! All the windows are annoying though. It would be cool to map them to the shoulder buttons so they pop in and out of the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built the older version of MilkyTracker and it has the same issue - it freezes when opening the instrument editor.
It's very strange as it still seems to be running, as it still triggers PCM under runs while the focus is changing on the window. Definitely one to have a poke around and see what it's doing.

As for GIMP, I think I have a way of running it that doesn't touch the NAND at all ( need to check I can actually cleanly unmount it, else like the rest of the AUFS hacks I've been fiddling with, it ties up your SD which isn't ideal, ) but in terms of optimisation, that's going to require someone actually sitting down and compiling it and doing code changes. Though I'd be surprised if there wasn't a version already done for notebooks or the like.

I should have a look at MilkyTracker's smaller GUI and see if the instrument editor bug is on that as well.

** FIXED **

[ see first post for download links ]

Please test and ensure there aren't any other gotchas in there ;)

[edit]
This is a sneaky fix actually.. as I nicked the one from the Debian package to see if it had the same issue.. it doesn't, and it seems to work fine so.. that'll do for now!
[/edit]

This looks better - instrument editor works - but it freezes when I try to quit and there is no response beyond that - have to hard-reboot the Pandora.

agh.. I left the old config file in there.. I'll fix that when I get back, it's an easy fix :)
For the moment, if you disable fullscreen, you can atleast bring up a Terminal and type "killall -9 milkytracker" to get rid of it... if everything else works, it's all good!

[edit]
Should be fixed now... I removed the config file so you can set your own up.
By default, MilkyTracker loads up at 640x480 and windowed mode.. just go to Config=>Layout and select 800x480 and Fullscreen and it'll remember next time ( or should! let me know if it doesn't ;) )
[/edit]

Back