Moving default OS of the Pandora to Ubuntu OS?

Ubuntu/Debian as default Pandora OS?

• No, I prefer Angstrom

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • Yeah, I prefer Ubuntu

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I prefer Debian

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • I prefer Android

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I prefer another Linux distro

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Other (please see my post below)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

patrick295767

Hello,

Since Ubuntu is making more and more fans and has a greater impact on our Linux devs, I would like to open the discussion to on the topic of the OS choice.

Ubuntu is now available on Phone. 

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

You can use Ubuntu also on ARM machines. 

Ubuntu has a great number of packages, and it remains greatly compatible.

Ubuntu is at the cutting edge. Might crash time to time. In that case, if you prefer the stability, you keep the developed kernel and you use Debian Stable or Testing on it.

So, all the power into your hands!!  

What do you think about Ubuntu by default?

Regards

This has been discussed in many threads.

The NAND is small, and Angstrom is one of the very few distros that are small enough for that.

Also, Angstrom has an ARM v7 optimized version.

Also, why choose a distro who ships a spyware ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you plan to use an SD boot by default, there is no way any of the poll choices (except Angstrom and possible some other trimmed-down distros) are actually an option because of space limitations - the NAND is only 512MB. E.g. Ubuntu requires ~2GB for a minimal install, and they recommend at least 5GB.

If I recall correctly, Ubuntu is no longer "making more and more fans", but rather the opposite. 

Reactions: tsh
No Ubuntu please.

Default OS is fast and nice.

I'd take the fastest available as default OS.

Gah!, Ubuntu it makes me shutter.. I've played with the Ubuntu ARM release, maybe it improved since last I used it, but it was sluggish even in the command line last I played with it.

If Slackware could be effectively shrunk down to fit on the NAND that would be my choice for an alternate OS. But otherwise I have no huge complaints about Angstrom.

Should be possible.

My build system is ready for that kind of thing, but i'll have first to remove man and doc from all packages.

If you could make a shrunken Soleil as well then ;) .

Slackware would be nice.

If it'd be not as fragile as the SD version.

Have lots of "check forced" and "repair" messages while start up.

I know my opinion about ubuntu is a bit abrupt, but I consider it a waste.

I want to know why the people like ubuntu?

Just because of the Software Central? --'

MarTinazzI​

It's more important that we get the current system up to date and bug-free than go back to the drawing board.

Considering the limitations on the storage and overal performance, the default OS should most probably remain Ångström.

Nobody is stopping you from making a port of Ubuntu that you could boot from SD-card though.
Many of the same issues/bugs of the main OS will remain (kernel and some userspace-scripts/things).

So get on with it. Impress us with your favorite distro.

Slackware would be nice.

Well it's not fragile here... Have no check except after a hard reset (pnd crash, like DraStic).

Do you use the latest version ?

Are your two Pandora + PC clocks the same ?

Wouldn't switching to another distribution cause some pnd's to break?

Let's use Slack (or maybe Archlinux?) for the next Pandora. The 512MB of NAND is the biggest weakness in my opinion

edit:

regarding Ubuntu,.. I really dislike it. Their Uniti desktop is bulls**t and the search function spams you with commercials/products from Amazon. Collectiong user data? seriously? wtf!!

On the other hand when you throw it on the smartphone/tablet market its starting to look really nice, compared to iOS or Android and so on. And maybe it opens a way (drivers, optimisations, documentation, the UI?) for other distributions to get ported to these platforms.  So I'm kinda excited

I also (have to) run Ubuntu on my laptop (dual boot with Slack) in order to support Steam for Linux..

Reactions: tsh
No Ubuntu please.

Default OS is fast and nice.

I'd take the fastest available as default OS.
I use Debian (installed with debootstrap with a hack) , and it is very fast though.  

Slackware would be nice.

Well it's not fragile here... Have no check except after a hard reset (pnd crash, like DraStic).

Do you use the latest version ?

Are your two Pandora + PC clocks the same ?
Not using the latest version.

Hope I have time to update.

Use the latest SOLEIL version but not SL4P.

No time to test both.

I know I can switch to original Slack but no time to test it as well.

Didn't have a crash with latest SOLEIL so far :) .

milkshake said:
What's wrong with Ubuntu? I like it :huh:
its too comecial and some even call it spyware because it collects data from the search bar

also Unity - I don't like it

there are some other points too but its basically enough to dislike it. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Ubuntu is bad or anything. Its fine liking it.. I'm probably going to be an Ubuntu fan as well but only of the mobile sector.

It being commercial doesn't really bug me much, Unity bugs the hell out of me.. Also it's poor package handling bugs me, by default on install it assigned a 40MB boot partition and the package management system never removes old kernel images by default.. after four kernel updates it maxed out the boot partition.. Now I'm in some odd state where it wants to install the new kernel but there isn't enough room, but it won't allow me to uninstall these images because it's still trying to resolve installing the new kernel.. Deleting old unused kernel images by hand just made it more confused... As clunky as the Redhat camp is I'll take it over Ubuntu. I plan on formatting to the newest Fedora, I only tried Ubuntu for Steam.. but now I found the Fedora packages for it..

Back