Which distro

Discussion in 'Pyra OS (Debian GNU/Linux)' started by aTc, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

I did try out PanDebian for a while.

As soon as there was a LibreOffice update synaptic told me and I could update.

Synaptic can look for packages that got an update.

Then you can select all updates.

If you use the unstable packages then you should get quite some updates I suppose.

(Arch user myself)

2. Granitehead

Granitehead Advanced Member

Of course. -.-I knew it should be possible, but I didn't think of Synaptic (or just that default update manager of Ubuntu) although I must have used it /lots/ of times before switching to just doing "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade".

Never tried selecting just a few packages, but I still guess it must auto-select dependencies of the selected packages too.

3. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Arch supports partial updates. You can update individual packages or add packages to a blacklist and update everything else. I had to do this when I rolled back Perl.

4. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

I think it's also possible with synaptic.

You can select any program you like that should update.

Simply unselect the one you don't want.

Don't know if there is also the blacklist feature.

5. Granitehead

Granitehead Advanced Member

Now that we're talking about it, I think some memory of mine arises which says that there is a feature in Debian to keep a package from updating... it's called "hold"ing a package. Terrible, that unreliable piece of bloody meat.

6. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

I want Gentoo, but I'm probably in the minority.

Or, what about keeping with Angstrom, it seems decent.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  7. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

It's not. :p The Pandora didn't have to worry about the heartbleed bug because its version of OpenSSL is so old it didn't have the feature that had the bug in it. :p

It's basically held together by a special glue derived from Notaz's sweat and tears at this point. The Angstrom website has been down "temporarily" for months now.

Neelix and moxie like this.
  8. N3Cr0

N3Cr0 Member

Ångström is some kind of pain in the ass, at least on the Pandora. It lacks a fully automated package management (At least I never found one), which means you have to download your software manually before you can install it.

So I think we need something with a user friendly and fast package manager. ...And of course, there must be stable sources, which may be the hardest part.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  9. Ziz

Ziz Advanced Member

opkg install foobar?Works fine for me. Only problem: There are not so many packages in the repository, however for some small, missing things, it works good.

10. N3Cr0

N3Cr0 Member

OK, maybe It never worked for me because I demanded the wrong packages.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  11. _wb_

_wb_ Microbe Staff Member

The only thing that annoys me about opkg is that it is very slow (at least on the Pandora), especially when it fails to find something. I end up doing "opkg list | grep foobar" instead of using opkg search.

12. kaprikawn

kaprikawn Very Active Member

Yeah, but there was issues with some fundamental dependency (ncurses iirc) which meant that you couldn't download a whole host of stuff.  It was pretty much useless.