Most Nerdies Geekiest Thing You Can Do With Your Pandora

mechanizeddeath said:
Bosbeetle said:
For myself I was thinking of making a noisemaker, and it would work in such a way that you would load an image in it and by using the touchscreen it would make a noise that corresponded to the color on the image. Then I would try to create a composition using paint and a specific way of drawing through the custom image. (generating a 'song') sadly I cannot code nor write music let alone draw music in paint :D
Sounds a little bit like the unfortunately named Touch & Tell, also from TI. :lol: I had one when I was a kid, and I think it was actually more fun when I'd technically outgrown it, and would just keep spamming a button to make noise.

TouchnTell.jpg

Ah, good times. :D

I wonder since the Pandora has TI parts if that TI would let some one emulate that on the Pandora. That would a great funny and useless app for the Pandora!

Last edited by a moderator:
RenegadeChic said:
RavenX said:
Create a virtual image of my house with lights and appliances on it and use the touchscreen to control the lights with my X-10 system via WiFi to my Linux server or directly with a X-10 FireCracker attached to a USB Com Port adapter.
Oh man, i am so jealous of you right now. I would feel like a God! Does that include heating and everything? Does it monitor consumption and all that? I needs me some of that!

Actually, you can raise and lower the temperature that the thermostat is set at, but I don't really have anything to monitor consumption ... yet.

If you are really interested, check out ActiveHome or SmartHome.

ashdjones said:
Stacking up an entire table full of USB gadgets and plugging the whole lot through a hub:

CDRW/DVD Drive
Floppy Drive
External Hard-Disk
Web-Cam
Printer
Scanner
Keyboard
Mouse
Ethernet Adapter
Game Pad
Drawing Tablet
Well I plan to use the pandora as a full purpose computer so that'll be my plan, but I have some doubts if I can figure out getting the canon printer to work.

mahousaru said:
Sit in a pub with a bunch of friends and only chat via IM ;)
That is nerdy. Admiring :)

Altought, it may even come useful in certain pubs with loud music.

valhalla said:
That is nerdy. Admiring :)

Altought, it may even come useful in certain pubs with loud music.
hee hee you found a practical reason for being nerdy, I salute you!

One of the main issues is that the nerd boundaries have been blurred by the iPhone and that orcarina app. We need one too!!!!

mahousaru said:
One of the main issues is that the nerd boundaries have been blurred by the iPhone and that orcarina app. We need one too!!!!
Well, it's not the same screen ;)

Maybe with our special controls :p

eksasol said:
Well I plan to use the pandora as a full purpose computer so that'll be my plan, but I have some doubts if I can figure out getting the canon printer to work.
Angstrom already has a cups port for armv7a. You may be able to use GutenPrint to compile the relevant driver for your printer.

As for my own geeky projects for Pandora, I have two:
  • Getting it running as a mythtv frontend. I'm currently playing with the Angstrom build of mythtv on my Beagleboard as a proof-of-concept. It's not working yet, but I'm making progress.
  • My girlfriend and I are in the process of rebuilding a '66 Mustang. It's in bad enough shape that we're not too concerned with authenticity in the resoration (it's not going to be a matching numbers car), so I'm looking into the feasibility of using a combination of beagle boards and the pandora to trick it out with multimedia touchscreens for entertainment and/or diagnostics. Probably more entertainment than diagnostics, though -- I don't know yet how easy it will be to retrofit the proper sensors into the engine yet. :D Ideally, I'll have a dock for the Pandora so I can just plug in, turn on, and serve media and/or games to the beagleboard clients running the touchscreen displays in the back of the front seats -- give the kids something to do on long car rides. This one's still a couple years off, though. We have to get the car running first. B)

EDIT: Oh, and I can't believe no one's already put up the geekiest thing you can do with your Pandora -- read/post right here on the official Pandora forums!

The usual nerdy things to do on the go:
-SSH access
-Coding (C++/OpenGL/SDL)
-Wardriving

I suspect the absolute nerdiest thing will be trying to have a LAN party on road trips (While on the road, Zaurus + Pandora + Laptop ad-hoc style B), the driver will, unfortunately, be excluded until I manage to make the Pandora drive).

How about using it as a remote control for my lounge pc, which runs Mythbuntu ???

I would like to be able to select media on the Pandora screen to play on my 37" Acer 1080p Telly.

Do we have anybody here that knows about Myth TV ???

Cheers.

Ford Prefect said:
Heh. Look three posts up from yours.

Also, look here.

There are some mythtv plugins that let handhelds work as remote controls, which would probably be the easiest way to go, but most of them require an IR port, which IIRC Pandora doesn't have. You might end up having to do something as complex as writing one from scratch that connects via bluetooth.

Then again, if you can somehow configure the Pandora to operate as a remote bluetooth keyboard, you're golden!

jakewastaken said:
Wifi sniffing would be nice if it supports monitor mode.

Portable network analyzer.
That would just HAVE to have a beeping noise which gets faster the stronger the signal.

- Write a Shadowrun Character Manager. My 14" Thinkpad always felt to huge for that, but I hate the pen and paper in pen & paper. I guess I'll still have to use real dice, my gamemaster probably wouldn't trust my virtual dice. :)
- Add joystick-support to a lightweight IDE, maybe Geany, so you can show/hide the sidebar/toolbar/messagebar with the D-pad (maximize usable screen space) & launch/compile with the shoulder buttons.
- If nothing else comes up, port a MUMPS-compiler to the Pandora and learn the language. :p

daveski said:
jakewastaken said:
Wifi sniffing would be nice if it supports monitor mode.

Portable network analyzer.
That would just HAVE to have a beeping noise which gets faster the stronger the signal.

hahah. that'd be too much fun.

using the pandora as a frontend machine to a huge cluster.

hook up a dvd drive and a video projector and watch movies with it.

use it to give presentatons....

no wait, these are things i am planning to do ....

well, how about code development for desktps with crosscompiler to x86 :)

_Sterling said:
Ford Prefect said:
Heh. Look three posts up from yours.

Also, look here.

There are some mythtv plugins that let handhelds work as remote controls, which would probably be the easiest way to go, but most of them require an IR port, which IIRC Pandora doesn't have. You might end up having to do something as complex as writing one from scratch that connects via bluetooth.

Then again, if you can somehow configure the Pandora to operate as a remote bluetooth keyboard, you're golden!

I want two way communication over Wifi. My Mythbuntu box has Wifi.

I would like it to be a bit like the Sonos Controller CR100. I would also do Video as well as audio, and act as a keyboard/ Mouse/ Remote for the Myth PC too.

Ford Prefect said:
I want two way communication over Wifi. My Mythbuntu box has Wifi.

I would like it to be a bit like the Sonos Controller CR100. I would also do Video as well as audio, and act as a keyboard/ Mouse/ Remote for the Myth PC too.
Hmm.. Not familiar with the Sonos system, but it looks like just a really fancy wireless head for your media system. Probably doable, but you might have to write some software.

Your mention of wifi reminds me of something, though. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. If someone ports synergy, you'll probably be good to go for using Pandora as a remote control. It won't give you a fancy interface on the Pandora, but it would certainly get the job done.

@hch -- love the idea of cross-compiling back to x86. :lol:

Back