More Pandoras soon at the shop!

I missed the whole LCD cable news. But What's withe the cable? 

Do I need a other one? I have a 1Ghz version.

Is it to improve, or are the current ones crap?

I've been living under a rock i guess when this issue was discussed...... ;)  
If you have a 1Ghz you "should" be fine, some of the earlier version of the cables had some wear issues although there can always be a freak breakage. Why this is a big topic now is that the LCD cables ran out and now are back in supply.
Are the Ol' LCD cables that notorious? I've had my Classic for around 2 years, its now a 1ghz model, and the LCD hasn't had any problems. Should I be on my toes?

Are the Ol' LCD cables that notorious? I've had my Classic for around 2 years, its now a 1ghz model, and the LCD hasn't had any problems. Should I be on my toes?
I don't think so, the big brunt of the issues were with the LCD cables on the original "First Batch" Pandori which were essentially the units manufactured before production moved to Germany. What are classified as Classic units in EvilDragon's Shop are refurbished First Batch units, but they have the newer LCD cables and typically sold with the newer silver case.  

I don't think so, the big brunt of the issues were with the LCD cables on the original "First Batch" Pandori which were essentially the units manufactured before production moved to Germany. What are classified as Classic units in EvilDragon's Shop are refurbished First Batch units, but they have the newer LCD cables and typically sold with the newer silver case.  
Ah, I see. So the 'First batch' LCD cables were a bit off. My classic was definitely a refurbished unit, so that clears my concerns, thank you very much my friend.

Mine was a 1GHz unit, but the cable still seems to have broken.

Excellent news indeed! I shall prepare my list of refurb parts for Friday.

When i bought the Pyra Mug, i also bought the Revo K101 + because i allready have a Pandora..

Sadly, i ditnt went to use the Mug until now..

Ahh yeah, a 1GHz model on its way into my grubby paws! I've been waiting quite a few years for this (still going to buy the Pyra when it comes out though).

Congratulations on your new acquisition MikeS and Lanksu!

You'll soon discover how awesome that supposedly outdated piece of tech is.

I also ordered one. I am following the project since its early beginnings, even had one of the very early preorders, but needed to cancel it since my parents wouldnt allow me to spend such an amount on a maybe failing project. Since then i became financially independent but always missed the chance to get one. So thanks a lot for this opportunity!!

I also have a first question: Do these new units come with the newest firmware or do i have to flash the newest right away? Is it still recommended to run the system from a sd-card? Do i need to manually update the SGX driver? I have the feeling the wiki is a bit outdated on these points, especially the user guide. A short initial start-up to-do list to be up too date would be very nice.

Thanks again

@rootshell: Welcome to the club!

I don't know if they come with the most recent firmware, but flashing is a simple and painless process (most of the time).

Running the system from the SD card is not a necessity. It has some advantages, but you can be fine running it from the NAND.

On the 1Ghz, the most recent firmware uses the right SGX driver. Some users might sometimes switch to another driver to get a few FPS more in some specific cases, but the default driver is your best bet in most cases.

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess i will try booting of the sd card and compare speeds. 80mb free space on the nand sounds a little low to be usefull if i want to install a few packages. Although, i dont know how usefull ipkg will be in replaceing a full grown package manager and how much packages are available. Do you guys mainly use the pnd system to "get functionality"?

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess i will try booting of the sd card and compare speeds. 80mb free space on the nand sounds a little low to be usefull if i want to install a few packages. Although, i dont know how usefull ipkg will be in replaceing a full grown package manager and how much packages are available. Do you guys mainly use the pnd system to "get functionality"?
I run mine from NAND, and have most of my software (usually PNDs) and files on SD cards.  I have made a few minor changes to some system files.  I have never bothered to run SZ from SD, although I probably would if I was making frequent or major changes.

I am not sure if you have plans to do things differently than they are intended for an average user, or just overly concerned about getting it up and running.  It is very simple, and unless you want to do things differently, you can plug a blank SD card or two in, turn it on and download most stuff you will need (internal wifi might be a little slow).  Emulators and some games will require files from an original copy of the game, so you might need a computer to copy those files from discs, or to install so you can copy whatever you need.

Back