Monthly Competition Game Tips - Galaxian

You only get one shot at a time, so try to build up your accuracy by picking off flying ships.

You get more points for a ship in flight than one that is in formation.

Ships generally fly down from the far sides of the formation ( other than the yellow / 2x red combo )

As soon as you hit a ship, you can immediately fire again.  Waiting until a ship is low and close to you means you can hit it and immediately fire again at another ship.

When the yellow and two red ships swoop down, you can take out one of the reds and then the yellow for 300 points.

If you take out both red ships and then the yellow, you will get 800 points.  This gets easier the more practice you get ( take out the red one to the side first, leaving the red and yellow in a stacked line to take out next )

When there are only 4 or so ships on the screen, they will all dive bomb / attack at once.

When you shoot a yellow ship, any flying ships will stop firing.  Also, all ships will return to formation and pause for a few seconds.

If you let a yellow ship fall through to the bottom at the end ( when they are all attacking ), it will disappear and then come back as an extra yellow ship on the next level.

Ah, I usually make sure to get the yellow ships when they're diving, as they can be worth a lot of points. I'm not sure about your explanation of the points (200, 300 or 800) depending on whether you've shot down their accompanying red ships yet or not - I thought that at first, but have not been able to confirm it. Excellent tips otherwise though.

It's worth mentioning that it's better to shoot swooping enemies rather than those in the convoy - watch the attract screen and it shows the bonus you get on each ship type.

If you save the blue-and-yellow ones...one from the bottom left and one from the bottom right...as the last two ships to take out...and let them dive at you for about fifteen minutes or so...they eventually run out of bullets.  Then they stop firing (be careful to let them dive at lest five times in a row without shooting, they like to fake you out.) and then, you can take those two out...AND NO ENEMIES WILL FIRE AT YOU FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE GAME!!

the only way they can kill you then is to kamikaze you!  You get massive score this way!

Oh, wait...crap, this is Galaxian...not Galaga you are talking about.  Forget everything I just said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back