Monthly Competition Game Tips - Ms Pacman

You need to 'zone out' and focus on the play area rather than on MsPacman all the time - if you're aware of where the ghosts are and where they are going, you're less likely to get trapped. Use the tunnels and some back and forth movements to trick them into changing direction.

If the ghosts are spread out it's dangerous, it's safer for you (and easier to get them all for highest score) to play to get them all together - your movements will manipulate theirs. Spend some time drawing them close, then go through the tunnels and try and draw them to the center area - if they are all grouped together it's time to head for one of the power pills and get them all for maximum score. Make use of the time they are out of action to scoop up the dots in some of the risky passages that they can trap you in.

It's worth learning the quickest routes from A->B. The ghosts will chase you, but if you take a longer route that's likely to end up in the same place, they'll almost always take the shortcut. But if you take all the shortcuts, you can lead them on a merry dance to the next power pill.

Not that they all go at your speed - sometimes they go a little faster or a little slower. Although generally they only seem to go much faster if they're within a character of you, and then they'll just close in and get you.

One obvious one - you can go full speed through the side tunnels, but the ghosts only go through them at half speed. So if you've only got a few dots in the top left it's often worth going up on the right then popping through the gap - though be careful, I suspect that on higher levels the ghosts will try to ambush you, so check what's on the other side of the tunnel before you go through.

I've also experienced glitches where I've been able to go through a ghost, but I've not figured out when it happens reliably yet.

I've also experienced glitches where I've been able to go through a ghost, but I've not figured out when it happens reliably yet.
Yeah, I would love to find a way to replicate this.  I gave some advice in the MAME thread which I'll copy & paste here.  I am actually better at the speed hack than the original version.  I think there is a speed advantage on the speed hack I've played in Northern California, but even among two different machines, it was the same speed ratios.  I'm wondering how many speed hacks or variants might be out there. 

Can a mod combine these two post as I've screwed this up royally.  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
PS Link what is your secret on mspacman - I have been trying and trying  and cannot crack the top 10 (because of you)  :D
At regular speed, I can only Billy Mitchell level 1, and sometimes miss a ghost or two on the 2nd level.  Things get progressively worse.  Only eat dots on the Apple level.  Same goes for the 2nd & 3rd Banana.  Brown levels really take some getting used to, especially with the Pandora controls.  I've only made it to the first stork once, and that level is going to be another learning experience.  I think you lose power pellet changes 3 or 4 levels after first baby PacMan.  I've pulled scores excessive of 250K on speed hacked tabletops (3 kids, not sure if the intermission ever comes back).   I'm clocking a 1GHZ Pandora at 600MHz when playing, but can actually get just of good if not better scores at 1GHz (though this is a bit challenging for Galaxian, haven't tried the others over clocked, but I know Donkey Kong would not be much fun faster). 

Exactly.  The ghosts change back too quickly, and if you try to eat them, chances are good they will change just before you do...and eat YOU instead.

This is a well-known thing on the Apple level.

Best, on the Apple level...to use power pills to make the ghosts change direction.  Because every ghost immediately turns and goes back the other way, once a power pill is eaten.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I mean don't try eating ghosts. 
Gotcha, use the power pills to clear the dots, not eat the Ghosts. Thing is, that's what I tend to do anyway & just eat the ghosts if they're nearby.

Looks to me like I should learn how to herd the ghosts on early levels & rinse them for score whilst one can.

Really enjoying Ms Pacman, hope to beat 50K one day :)

Back