Modding A Wii

Tri Wing -

Item number: 280088839882

you might need some 30awg Kynar wire as well if you want to do the wired install (makes it easier to remove the chip) -

Item number: 280089067112

But that seller usually does a Tri Wing and Kynar package for £4.99 Posted (saves 40p or something :p )..

i saw his auctions earlier. He did have one with the wire and the driver but it was liek £4.99 plus £1.50 Postage or soemthin. I emaild him and this other guy askin if they woudl post it today if i paid today and the other guy said yes. So i might get it tomorrow but no wire :unsure: . I think i will have some sort of wire lying around.

Just pre ordered my Wiikey for £28.85 Posted 1st class recorded :)

is the wiikey actually out yet ? I think i found a couple of switches i might use but i have no idea how ot fix them to the wii.

The wiikey dosnt need a switch ? maybe i should just get a wiikey and sell this other thing.

Wiikey is out now but mainly only in the US... UK sites are waiting for shipments to arrive :)

I dont think the WiiKey needs a switch

Just got a message back saying I will be receiving my wiikey in the 1st batch :)

and Dammit, it comes with Kynar wire already... didnt have to buy any in the end after all :p

i got my tri wing driver today but not been feeling very well all day so not even touched teh wii. I might actually wait a little longer to see if this cyclowiz update actually does exist.

Thanks Steve-O; just ordered my WiiKey today too. I haven't soldered since school though and I was shit then!

I just know I am gonna break my Wii.

Does the chip come with solder or do I need to buy some?
Also, is a 15w cheap soldering iron up to the job?

declaration posted on Mar 7 2007 at 10:26 PM said:
Thanks Steve-O; just ordered my WiiKey today too. I haven't soldered since school though and I was shit then!

I just know I am gonna break my Wii.

Does the chip come with solder or do I need to buy some?
Also, is a 15w cheap soldering iron up to the job?

how cheap is cheap?? I have a 15 watt Weller (Weller is a good brand) that cost £18

Yup you will need some solder :)

Last edited by a moderator:
im still a little concerned by the wiikey, seems a far cry from teh perfect chip. Will it ever reach 100% import compatability? Nintendos european release schedule is frequently shocking. Also Ive a feeling the whole playing backups from hdd isnt going to come off too....

declaration posted on Mar 7 2007 at 10:54 PM said:
This cheap? ;)
http://www.huntertools.co.uk/index.php?mai...roducts_id=5938

Also, is all solder the same? I take it I want lead-free 0.8mm or something?

Thanks for the help... I really don't know what the hell I am doing and want to be fully prepared for the chips arrival. I think I might crack open my dead Dreamcast and go solder crazy as practice!

hhmm, I just use any solder I think... dont know about that iron, Cheap irons usualy have big tips on them, you want a fine point tipped iron... Also, sometimes cheap irons ratings arnt exact, eg that one says 15watt but could be 25...

heres the one I have -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weller-2015-Solder...g/dp/B0001P170G

TB32696.jpg

Phone around hardware stores around your area first to see if they have one in stock

Last edited by a moderator:
np, you will most likely be fine...

just get some old worthless PC parts and have a practice.. try soldering telephone wire to the small pads on circuit boards etc..

Also, its good to add hot glue after you have soldered to give it more strength.

Will post pics up of my Wii in bits and during the install etc..

Anyway, if you do kill your wii I will buy it for £10 :p hehe

---EDIT---

My WiiKey is on its way now :D.. Should have everything here tomorrow or saturday :)

think am just goin to order a wiikey now since i dont think this update is coming for the cyclowiz and i dont like the idea of having to fit a switch to my wii somewhere.
I hope they have some left.

My Wiikey and Screw driver arrived today :D

now to install it

Will get some pictures up of it later :)

Its in and works perfectly :)

It was easy but I spent alot of time on mine making it all neat :) heres a quick pic, will get more up tomorrow too tired right now :p -

dsc00239ph4.jpg

oh yea, the points are much smaller than what they look like in the pic (and the wire is much thinner as well) ;)

Back