Wii Homebrew Channel

Fzero

Advanced Member
I'm thinking of picking up a cheap Wii again, I used to own one when they launched but sold it to fund my PS3.

I was looking at the Homebrew Channel available for it, I never got on this when I had mine, I just used it for Zelda and a few other Wii titles.

I'm looking at this site: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel#Pick_One

...and there are a number of paths to take it seems.

Does anyone use these and can suggest one to use, there's a few that state they run on any version system.

I don't really know what else I will use the Homebrew Channel for yet - I'll be looking around it once I can - but ultimately it will be for emulating the NES.

Any advice appreciated.

If you've one of the game used for the hack use that one otherwise letterBomb/bannerBomb depending on your Wii version...

Wii is a total waste of time m8 you want homebrew get an original xbox console best emulators and best homebrew games

Wii is a total waste of time m8 you want homebrew get an original xbox console best emulators and best homebrew games

agree, unless you want to play backup games, the will homebrew scene isn't really that good

the emulators with the classic controller is pretty good however... (mostly due to the actual controller)

Wii has some pretty good homebrew but nothing to really wow anyone, I think. I used my homebrew enabled Wii for a digital whiteboard presentation once, but other than that there's nothing available that (probably) isn't also available for XBox.

I've used both bannerbomb and smash stack, they're both really easy. If you get a Wii with system menu 4.2 or lower then bannerbomb will do the trick. Remember to use a regular SD card, SDHC cards or micro SD in a reader.

The Wii isn't bad for homebrew at all (for the usual range of emulators, anyway). Considering the community effort that went into making the homebrew channel feel like a proper digital storefront, it's pretty amazing really. Certainly eats the 360 and PS3 homebrew scenes for breakfast. As others have mentioned though, the original Xbox is still the king of hacked consoles. The choice between them really comes down to which one you have at hand, or if you're buying one for the task, whether you want a big black box or a little white one under your telly.

I still have a massive soft spot for the original XBMC, it's just a shame the Xbox got left behind in the HD era. For a second TV, especially if it's a CRT, the Xbox would still be my first choice.

I had high hopes for the PS3 in this regard, but that scene went and died before they even eeked out an N64 emu. SNES and FBA are stunning via crisp HDMI, which was the only reason I held on to mine so long. But it's on ebay now. I'm building a HTPC which will take over those duties.

Getting a bit off track here. In summary, big black box or little white one.

Cheers for input guys, I actually have a softmod xbox and agree it is pretty much the ultimate for emulators.

I have seen a few Wii homebrew games though that I want to try out, including a great looking vertical shooter.

Remember a while back here in UK that Gamestation and Game stores went into admin, I had credit and loyalty points/cash with Gamestation, I've now had that moved over to Game stores which are still open in some parts of town, so I basically was looking for something to spend my 40 odd quid on, I figured a pre-owned Wii is good as anything, can pick one up for under 50 quid so thats the plan.

This will sit in my front room and the xbox stays in my room where i generally game.

I was hoping I could use the Wii's wireless controllers for emu too but looks like I might not be able to and will have to use the wired classic controller, no biggie I guess.

Just got to wait until next week when I can reach the shop and pick one up - then going to give the BannerBomb/LetterBomb a go

Back