Modding A Wii

CABBAGES

Website
Visit site
Has anyone modded their wii yet ? is the CYCLOWIZ the one to get ?

Anyone in the UK used techwizad.com or modchip-store.co.uk ? whats the best one to go with ?

anyone near livingston in scotland good at soldering ? :p or will i have ot try it myself ? :(

EDIT: I just orderd one and chose special delivery so i will get it quick (hopefully)

I will be tryin to install it myself so I will probably be on here on the market place in a couple of days selling a faulty wii :p

http://modyawii.tehskeen.com/

is a great site. It has reviews of the chips and installation guides. However, it is not yet up-to-date with news of the WiiKey, which can apparently play imports and doesnt have the slow disk reading problems that CycloWiz does.

I think WiiKey is the way to go really because of the imports but I am waiting to see how early adopters get on.

Ability to play imports is a must, so im going to be waiting too. Thanks for the link declaration, ill be sure to keep an eye on that.

Let us know how it goes cabbages, take it you went for the cyclowiz? Which of the two stores did you use in the end?

the wiikey can play us jap region free it says but im in the uk. It doe ssay that it can play some jap us games on the pal wiis but it did just say partial.

Im a bit annoyed now that i orderd the other one since partial import support is better than none. But ah well ive done it now :p

declaration posted on Mar 3 2007 at 03:03 PM said:
http://modyawii.tehskeen.com/

is a great site. It has reviews of the chips and installation guides. However, it is not yet up-to-date with news of the WiiKey, which can apparently play imports and doesnt have the slow disk reading problems that CycloWiz does.

I think WiiKey is the way to go really because of the imports but I am waiting to see how early adopters get on.
The modchip dongle on that page looks damn sweet. I might have to do that when I get a Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want one if it can do homebrew / imports

thanks for the link, I'll keep my eye on it

EDIT: oh "softmod" I have everything needed too, besides the SD Gecko thing, which I can try to make, just need to find an SD card slot to use... nvm, I just need to desolder one from a broken camera, I think that will work

Dont order the Cyclowiz, I would go with the Wiikey instead...

also apparently WiiXT is fake

70% of Imports work with the Wiikey chip NTSC on a PAL and PAL on a NTSC and 100% imports work with Jap NTSC on a US NTSC and a US NTSC on a Jap NTSC...

I think the next best thing after the Wiikey would be a real Modchip (These current chips just trick the disc drive)

Heres some top tips :) -

You might need a Tri Wing Screw driver (a quick Ebay search will get you one for around £3)
you need a 15 watt small tipped soldering iron
If you want to remove the chip sometime in the future you should install it with wires (makes it alot easier to remove and reduces the risk of burning something out)
If you want to remove it but went with the Quick solder No wire option you will need some de solder braid and a solder sucker.

http://wiikey.cn/

* Direct boot of wii backups
* Direct boot of GC backups
* Direct boot of homebrew in GC mode
* Supports all currently available console/drive versions
* Supports D2B chipsets
* Sophisticated (true) update mechanism via DVD (future proof, expect cool features to come)
* Direct boot of different NTSC region Wii games/backups on US and JAP consoles
* Partial support for NTSC region Wii games/backups on PAL consoles
* Boots different region GC games/backups (partially without swapping)
* Supports multi-disc games for BOTH Wii and Gamecube
* Supports DVD-R / true DVD+R and +RW support (no bitsetting required!)
* Improved readsettings for recordable media
* Built-in audio fix
* Supports fullsize 4GB discs for gamecube homebrew
* Stealth mode
* 512 byte EEPROM to store configuration
* Quicksolder interface - no wires required
* Unique disc backup application via sdcard
* Compact design, best quality components, rock solid high speed controller
* Professional ESD packing
* Recovery mode - Can recover from a bad flash

Comparies the chips - http://www.neoasic.com/news.htm

loz_the_guru posted on Mar 4 2007 at 12:18 PM said:
Presumably this will void our warranties, even if we remove the chip at a later date?

yes, opening any console voids the warranty... BUT if you open it carefully and you bought your Wii from somewhere that employes people that cant tell then you should be ok :)

Steve-O posted on Mar 4 2007 at 01:52 PM said:
loz_the_guru posted on Mar 4 2007 at 12:18 PM said:
Presumably this will void our warranties, even if we remove the chip at a later date?

yes, opening any console voids the warranty... BUT if you open it carefully and you bought your Wii from somewhere that employes people that cant tell then you should be ok :)

Does gamestation count :D

should i email them and cancel it and try find somewhere that had that wiikey in stock ? coz that place i orderd from dosnt have any in stock yet?

Also it says the Cyclowiz is upgradeable via dvd does that mean they coudl add import support later with an update ?

It'd wait a bit to see if the update thing is true before getting a Cyclowiz. It may well be possible (I've no idea if that microcontroller could update its code whilst running) but it's possible that no updates will be released.

well the Cyclowiz team say its upgradable and have been promising a upgrade for quite a while but havent released anything yet which means A. They have fooked up and it wont upgrade or B. They hit a problem while making the update... Where as WiiKey have already proved that you can control the Chip via CD / DVD with a Setup Disc that you can download from their site..

Also theirs a chance that you could have a defective Cyclowiz that came from the factory with the quick solder contacts joined. Easy to fix (just cut the contacts where they are joining)

All in all if you cannot upgrade the Cyclowiz you will have some compatability issues with some games, No import support unless you patch the games first before burning and others. New features that the cyclowiz upgrade will have if it comes out -

- Direct boot of NTSC Wii imports on NTSC consoles (no patch needed)
- Direct boot of PAL Wii imports on NTSC consoles (no patch needed, partial compatibility)
- Direct boot of NTSC Wii imports on PAL consoles (no patch needed, partial compatibility)
- Runs imported GC games (partially without swap)
- Perfect compatibility (100% of games are working)
- Improved read (no more slowdowns)
- Compatible with DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW (no bitsetting required)

Also the Wiinja Delux is out now which will do the same as the updated Cyclowiz...

The thing I like about the Wiikey is the "Unique disc backup application via sdcard", Setup disc and proof that you can control the chip via a disc.

Overall dont worry if you cant get your money back, I think the only difference in Wiikey and Cyclo (as long as the Cyclo update is released) is the backup feature and setup disc.

its ok really as i will probably fuck up my wii when im tryin to install the Cyclowiz. I read somethiin aboubt needing a couple of switches for soem of the features of the Cyclowiz :huh: sounds more and more difficult. actually my friends dads friend chipped my ps1 and then my ps2 so i may just ask him if he can install this for me :)

oh yea, With the cyclowiz you need a seperate switch to Enable and disable programming mode...

heres a picture of the Wiikey next to a cd case and some coins... its small, about the same size as a £1 coin!!! -

wiikey_size.jpg

did you get a wiikey ? or is that just a picture you found ?

Hopefully my cyclowiz will be here tomorrow since i did pay for special delivery !!

so it came today ! I started to try and open my wii with the limited tools i have as my real tools are at work. So i get one screw out to remove the battery then i find that i need a tri wing driver. I check all my bits an dno tri wing bits :(. So i goto maplins find a set of bits with tri wing bits, Take them home and they are all too big !!! :angry:. SO i go up to my friends dads house and he has no tri wing bits ! but he does have a tine flat headed driver that seems to take them out :D:D. But before i coudl leave he needed me to fix his lights as he had fucked them up again :angry:

Anyway now its time to try take this wii apart again !!!

EDIT: aaaaaaahgh feck it need to get one of those tri wing drivers off ebay. Got some of them tri wing screws out but the other ones just wont move :(.

Back