Mobile Edition

Also, How is the telephony going to work, its going to in theory be capable of talk and text, but there are no packages that I can find for handling that. Will something have to be coded? :p

Also, How is the telephony going to work, its going to in theory be capable of talk and text, but there are no packages that I can find for handling that. Will something have to be coded? :p
There are other threads on this. It sounds like everything is there or it exists on other *nix or Linux based systems. It will just take someone to actually do it. Meamo, I think that is what it is called, the Linux OS made by Nokia, has open source telephone components that can be ported.

The modem is a tty and an audio device. If you're feeling nerdy you can open the tty device in your favourite terminal program (minicom, screen, etc...) and manually send it AT commands to dial, pickup, send SMS, etc... and use aplay | arecord to pipe the audio from modem to speaker. Day 1 that's probably all that will be available.
It's almost trivial to write a bash script that would open the tty device and take care of most of the stuff for you: someone'll probably have that working Day 2.
Probably take a couple weeks before a proper gui frontend is done.

Back