Moar Vids! Mplayer (Video), Kronos (Text Advent), Battlejewels (Ac

Spirit said:
Opening a video by doubleclick with mplayer is just a matter of telling the system to do so. ;)
Maybe the amazing smplayer gui will be ported.

That was not the point of mplayer part of the video, It was to show that there is no problem playing standard definition video on the Pandora, Which you would have deduced yourself, If you had read Jeff`s (skeezix) original post. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
Spirit said:
Opening a video by doubleclick with mplayer is just a matter of telling the system to do so. ;)
Maybe the amazing smplayer gui will be ported.

That was not the point of mplayer part of the video, It was to show that there is no problem playing standard definition video on the Pandora, Which you would have deduced yourself, If you had read Jeff`s (skeezix) original post. :rolleyes:

Trooper

And in fact, we have Gnome MPlayer GUI (which I use), but skeezix is a console man :D
Good thing you can do both with the Panda :)

I also do a lot using the console, but you don't have to :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid - welcome as always. I know we've seen stuff before but a cased Pandora running stuff just looks so awesome. Some of ED's(?) older vids where things were hooked up looked a little cumbersome - this just looks a prefect size and easy to control. Like everybody else, I can't wait til it turns up.

TaG said:
Thanks for the vid - welcome as always. I know we've seen stuff before but a cased Pandora running stuff just looks so awesome. Some of ED's(?) older vids where things were hooked up looked a little cumbersome - this just looks a prefect size and easy to control. Like everybody else, I can't wait til it turns up.

:D I've done a ton of vids already with a cased Pandora running stuff :)

Last edited:
I have a request for video -- could you show using something like pmenu to actually launch something like picodrive and then fire up a game? I'm still kind of interested in seeing the current state of usability from the standpoint of actually getting emulated games fired up and ready to go... If there are any options for things like how the game is rendered (2x scalling, stretching to fit the full pandora screen, etc) could you maybe show that a bit too?

Thanks!

Something also to consider.. On most devices, people play transcoded video. An iPhone or psp etc requires conversion since it let's them use hardware decoder for lowbattery usage, and in psp case it doesn't have the horsepower for pure software decode. So people are used to that annoyance - if you transcode for pandora too, you're fine.

Stil, we don't have to.. A good lot of video will work fine, but highdef or whacky codecs may not. And it'll get better.

So it's not ideal, but in my book it's already better than many other devices in hat way. But I'm pretty tolerant since I look at things as a challenge not an impediment :)

jeff

Could you try something xvid at 720p, instead of the CPU intesive h.264? I realize that the quality isn't quite the same, but the transcoding time is WAY shorter. It might be a good stop-gap solution for some people.

I believe that has been shown in a previous vid, but could be wrong. I remember it at least being mentioned that 720p xvid is/should be fine. But more vids the better I say.
I'm one of those people who wont be transcoding anything. But I'm prepared to wait. :lol:
My anime is usually 720p(or higher) h264 mkv.
I'll just watch the odd things that I'm able to.

mindlord said:
Could you try something xvid at 720p, instead of the CPU intesive h.264? I realize that the quality isn't quite the same, but the transcoding time is WAY shorter. It might be a good stop-gap solution for some people.

720p is too much to handle without hardware acceleration, and it's not really needed.
720p = 1024x720, more than the LCD can show.

DVD Quality is 480p (480 pixels height) which run fullspeed in xVid and is probably the best the LCD can show anyways :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
mindlord said:

720p is too much to handle without hardware acceleration, and it's not really needed.
720p = 1024x720, more than the LCD can show.

DVD Quality is 480p (480 pixels height) which run fullspeed in xVid and is probably the best the LCD can show anyways :)
I realize that it doesn't fit the screen, and it's technically a waste. The issue is - Those who use DVR software to record HD video probably don't want to transcode it twice. I probably will since I already do so for my PSP sometimes. That or I will just wait until hardware decoding becomes available. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

If your converting/re-encoding, then yea may as well do it to a lower res.
But if you already have stuff at that res, then that could be a different matter if you don't want to re-encode.

EvilDragon I'm sure that a 720p xvid was shown, but obviously your in a better place to know than I am.

It's not about what the display can show it's about if you can just plop it on the SD card and go, and not have to re-encode stuff.
I'll not be re-encoding, but I am willing to wait for hardware playback, I'll just watch what I have that can play. It's just a personal thing that I'm not going to be transcoding anything, period.
Didn't for my Dell x51v wont be for the Pandora. :lol:

Alpha2 said:
<snip>
Also wondering; We've got a Genesis/MD emulator (wouldnt mind seeing a little Sonic CD :p ) but has anyone has cobbled together a TG16 emulator yet.

This! :p

Especially if there's already a TG16CD emu already for our Pandoras (I haven't heard of any TBH)... but some SegaCD would be amazing as well.

And last, but not least, thanks a lot Skeezix!

Great vid! Thanks for the update. I've been waiting patiently for this awesome piece of hardware, and the reality is closer each day! I second the idea of a Quake 3 vid.

Thanks for the great video, Sheezix!

+1 for some dosbox action

Quick question: Will BattleJewels support 2 player over wifi?

I can totally see myself putting some long hours into that game, especially with some head to head action. Can't wait! Thanks again.

We do have vlc working already btw

720p is too much for sw decode at 500mhz. Even kranking up the clock might not handle it to well, but I didn't try from ramdisk (to eliminate sd latencies?)

I ran mplayer from cmdline since current file association is to totem, a nicer GUI but performs not as well. Also, I'm an old school commandline junkie :)

battlejewels is currently same as Wiz one. I will be addin head to head network, game lobby, etc. Having fun hacking on Kronos when I get a moment, but got lots of pnd and pxml fixups to do in the next week :)

jeffPhone

Back