Minimig anyone?

Im waiting for the natami.It's going to be a proper amiga not like the commodore usa pc in amiga branded case stuff.The fpga arcade is aga compatible and you can load multiple cores of various other consoles/computers/arcade etc into it as far as i understand.You could use it as an arcade board.The fpga arcade or even the natami board could be used in a handheld machine as at least the natami board generates very little heat and the board is very small indeed.@ evildragon it would be cool if you were to contact the natami guys on http://www.natami.net/index.htm and exchange ideas etc. They are passionate amigans over there and the natami sounds really cool. Yes im excited about Natami. edit Seems that the minimig core is already in the fpga arcade as well.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vn4ZzLH6MpE?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been some talk in the Amiga scene about a PowerPC nettop that could run Amiga OS 4... basically it would be a rebranded LimePC Z9 (due to the stupid way their site is designed, I can't link directly to the page I want to. Click on the Right Arrow next to "LimePC N10Y", then on "LimePC Z9" to see the specs). They were talking somewhere in the range of $300-500 (This would include an Amiga OS 4 license), which I would be very open to.

--Zero
Yeah I've been waiting for further details on that one, I'd definately grab an OS4 machine at that price - can't really justify the cost of the current offerings

Just a thought... how difficult would it be to add ethernet to a minimig? not much fun on an A500 granted (I've had mine online through a slip setup with null modem to usb) but running the '020 core you could get the better Amiga browsers and of course there are still some BBSs around... ;)

http://www.illuwatar.se/project_pages/mini-minimig/mini-minimig.htm small enough to fit in a pandora? maybe the minimig handheld idea wasn't so crazy after all.

FPGA Arcade is more realistic than the natami and more powerfull than the minimig (AGA faster processors etc)

Thats the one Im waiting for anyway... Well... A decent AGA, at least 020 with heaps of ram and HDF version of UAE on the pandora is what I really want. :)

Theres a couple other Amiga hardware projects around too, isn't there?

Which was that board that started out to run some arcade stuff maybe, then they just started building Amiga and C64 and all sorts of stuff to reflash over it; some multi-machien crazyness from hell, twas awesome. I forget though now.. not enough sleep for me :)

I know the Suska boards for Atari ST, FPGA based stuff.. they're all quite expensive, since so few in the production run; like $500-$1000 per board, that sort of thing (though I really don't know why they're _that_ much...); even the Firebee, which is pretty comparable to an Amiga FPGA board, is pretty expensive stuff.. again, like $1000 for a board.

(FWIW, I have a Firebee Atari ST FPGA board, and its freaking awesome ;)

jeff

Edit: I think I'm thinking of the C-One, where wiki says:

So far, C-One circuit boards have been produced by German company Individual Computers, and they currently sell for 333 with the FPGA extender card.

The C-One can do C64, Amiga, Amstrad..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-One

It uses the Minimig FPGA code, which is cute

But 333euro is not half bad for such a beast.. thats pretty hot :)

Speaking of the Amiga, anyone seen this - ?????

Amiga goes MacMini! :blink:

Yes, that is known about, it is not an Amiga, it is a gaming PC called Amiga, that is what the new name owners did to it, just use the name.

Closest to a real Amiga new build will be the Natami project mentioned above.

Yeah. This is no different to when a company called Escom were sticking Commodore logo badges on generic x86 boxes in the mid-1990s, or when whoever-it-was was badging generic MP3-players with the VIC-20 branding a few years ago.

I think the best idea would be a conventional ARM + FPGA (i dream of it for pandora 2).
This will be a great thing...imagine run software/emus with the help of a FPGA programmable for working in cooperation with the ARM cpu

Ed if you're looking for something to make how about some kind of USB remote that we could program to use with audio/video players?

Maybe have a headphone jack for using the Pandora in your bag for audio but still allow all regular controls, pause Rew/FF etc.

Ed if you're looking for something to make how about some kind of USB remote that we could program to use with audio/video players?
I think the thing here is that the Minimig is open hardware - the plans are already made and already available.

Would I be wrong in assuming that the remote idea would have to be developed and designed first?

Fair enough, pity it would really add to the Pandora's functionality.

I have a Blue-tooth device that does similar but it doesn't work on the Pandora. :(

This will be a great thing...imagine run software/emus with the help of a FPGA programmable for working in cooperation with the ARM cpu

Agreed...

...this isn't the market-changing awesome Craig has hinted at, is it? I could imagine it giving the Pandora a real edge in emulation, being able to recreate the actual hardware on the fly. Also, It would differentiate a P2 from a smartphone.

^ It would certainly be interesting if it was.

The one thing that makes me doubt it, though, is because I'm pretty sure it's already been done elsewhere. (I'm sure I've seen mention of such a thing whilst looking at Minimig variants and other FPGA-based computers.)

^ It would certainly be interesting if it was.

The one thing that makes me doubt it, though, is because I'm pretty sure it's already been done elsewhere. (I'm sure I've seen mention of such a thing whilst looking at Minimig variants and other FPGA-based computers.)

Any idea what it was called? I thought (nearly) all FPGA equipment was aimed at hardware devs, rather than end users.

^ I've had a look around and found what I saw. It was the Mini-ITX Minimig Version 2.0. It has a separate ARM controller that apparently allows for running from a hardfile, and overclocking.
Llooks like that ARM chip is really just interfacing and control. I was envisioning something more capable than the current Pandora and then an FPGA, which would allow conventional emulation for things that don't have suitable HDL files.

Also, its not really portable :)

Ahh, I see!

An SoC in the vein of what we have in the Pandora, plus FPGA stuff for switching to reimplemented original hardware and other interesting stuff on-the-fly, you mean?

Back