Microsoft XBOX ONE

dont mind me, didnt real

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we HAVE to move forward towards none disc based game distribution???

We still buy music on CD's as we like having a physical copy to do with as we want, rip to play on my mp3 player or backup to use in the car and not worry about damaging it.

Likewise with movies, we have hundreds of DVD's/Blurays and once every couple of years we go through them and take a load to a car boot to clear out and make room for newer titles.

Downloading a 100mb for a CD is quite a bit easier than a 25/50gb game, I know if I downloaded GB's of data on peak hours (8am to midnight) my ISP would start to throttle my connection.

My ISP told me off for d/l 14GB not that long ago, said they'd have to limit my connection if I continued that use the following month.

I didn't risk getting cut off so took it easy for the next month.

Wonder what will happen though once lots of XB1 users are d/l 25/50GB on, potentially, a couple daily basis...

:)

is it fair to say compression? I remember (no sources) killzone devs(or other high profile sony dev) say that textures on bluray for the ps3 was uncompressed... maybe some heavy compression(I know there are limits) is the way to go...maybe some opencl decompression and you wont notice the process overhead...just a thought.

^^ That video FZERO, LOL

I don't think MS thought anything through.  Even their DRM retraction isn't particularly well thought out.  I expect it to change over time to something that still gives the benefits they initially outlined while still removing bad stuff.  

The thing that was the worst aspect that they didn't think through initiailly was the needing to be online. As I've mentioned before:

66% of the planet don't have internet access. Even taking into account the < 20% that don't have electricity - that still leaves 46% .   Based on a world population of 7 billion, that means just over 3.2 Billion people have no internet access despite having electricity.

And of course that doesn't include people who have internet access but can't get a WiFi signal upstairs . Or as a lot of people do - have a modem/router with no wireless which is attached to their computer. 

That one decision was stopping them from selling the Xbox to well over 50% of the planet. No doubt it was why they had post-phoned the release of the Xbox One to parts of Asia including India.  At least now they can roll out to those countries.

is it fair to say compression? I remember (no sources) killzone devs(or other high profile sony dev) say that textures on bluray for the ps3 was uncompressed... maybe some heavy compression(I know there are limits) is the way to go...maybe some opencl decompression and you wont notice the process overhead...just a thought.
So my fancy new console has lower quality textures just so that we can get rid of discs.

Sent from my GT-I9300

So my fancy new console has lower quality textures just so that we can get rid of discs.

Sent from my GT-I9300
I mentioned compression...for textures there is the new compression scheme from khronos and arm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Scalable_Texture_Compression

lossy or lossless is another discussion.

I plan to buy all my next gen games via digital download. Which is what I already do today. I also get all my tv and music via the internet. (For example I have downloaded 15 gigs today alone, 21.2 gigs this week and 497 gigs this month, and no my ISP hasn't said a thing about it.) It seems to me that xbox and ps3 are now on equal footing in terms of policy, but ps3 has the more powerful hardware and lower price. Also ps3 has more games that I'm interested in. If the xbox was 399 and promised easy access for developers and steam like prices for digital downloads I would buy it over ps3 in a second. They tried to do steam for consoles but forgot the most important aspect of steam, lower prices. Next generation i'd like to see digital only distro with the ability to sell/trade you game licenses via a built in marketplace. That would be a console truly designed for consumers.

I plan to buy all my next gen games via digital download. Which is what I already do today. I also get all my tv and music via the internet. (For example I have downloaded 15 gigs today alone, 21.2 gigs this week and 497 gigs this month, and no my ISP hasn't said a thing about it.) It seems to me that xbox and ps3 are now on equal footing in terms of policy, but ps3 has the more powerful hardware and lower price. Also ps3 has more games that I'm interested in. If the xbox was 399 and promised easy access for developers and steam like prices for digital downloads I would buy it over ps3 in a second. They tried to do steam for consoles but forgot the most important aspect of steam, lower prices. Next generation i'd like to see digital only distro with the ability to sell/trade you game licenses via a built in marketplace. That would be a console truly designed for consumers.
Ahem... PS4.

The official announcement page is visible again

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

I wonder if all the hugely imbalanced polls and rumours of opposition from several US retailers were the last straw..?

I also wonder what the initial online requirement is all about, if as it says it never needs to be online again, what function does this 'registration' process serve? (and what, if any, implication would it have for selling the hardware I had registered?)

I'd definitely sit back and watch how the system plays out now, and I'd avoid buying any new game discs until I see reports on forums saying whether they update the firmware in some fashion...!

Likewise with movies, we have hundreds of DVD's/Blurays and once every couple of years we go through them and take a load to a car boot to clear out and make room for newer titles.
Heh, I even have a select bunch of 16mm and Super-8 movies. I never get rid of anything.

But yes, I buy music on disc. I always want the highest quality source, and an archival copy.

Interesting, the reversal announced included the dropping of the proposed "game sharing" plan (games in your library could be played by 10 friends/family on your list, albeit 1 at a time). However, another alleged dev email drops a bit of a bomb, that the plan was not at all as it had been portrayed:

When your family member accesses any of your games,they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full gamewith a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to.
http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

Something (demo trials) that's already possible on PS3 to an extent, from a much larger selection.

Great article about the policy change:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-20-xbox-180-microsoft-pulls-back-from-the-brink

A hair-brained DRM scheme cooked up in a boardroom and already showing cracks before E3 arrived (if any of you honestly believe that the 10-person "family" sharing notion was a fully considered policy and not a desperate measure flung out half-baked in an attempt to calm consumer sentiment, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you) was judged to be far less important than the overall goal of making a console that sells strongly and retains or builds the Xbox market share.

(...)

As for the big, looming question of what happens to your games in ten years when Microsoft gets bored of running authentication servers and decides to switch off the Xbox One iteration of Xbox Live, absolutely nobody had any kind of answer to that - which tended to suggest, horrifyingly, that nobody had even thought of it.

(...)

The problem with Xbox One DRM was not primarily a communication problem - the problem was that the DRM was a shambolic piece of monstrous corporate thinking that contemptuously treated every consumer as a potential criminal, and good PR for that would be like putting a sprig of parsley on a fresh turd

(...)

This is not, as the dwindling but vocal band of DRM apologists would have it, a victory for loud-mouthed internet troublemakers, nor is it some kind of dishonest manipulation of consumer power by media busybodies. This is the market at work.

If that was true about sharing only being in demo mode, then that's pretty explosive, yet not surprising.  I'm pretty sure also that you could only allow one person at a given time to access your game library .

That was fun, lol.  I love blowin' shit up!

oldspice_explosion-412x195.jpg

Is it any wonder why they wanted the thing to phone home regularly...

Xbox One Dashboard Created “With Advertising In Mind”

An Xbox employee has commented as to how the architecture of the Xbox One dashboard has been created “with advertising in mind”.

Of course with the Kinect being bundled with the Xbox One, not only is there bound to be an increase in advertising engagement with the peripheral, but also the opportunity for more targeted advertisements.

The attending Xbox LIVE Advertising Developer commented that they don’t actually receive a lot of the biometric information collected by Kinect. “This sort of works at two levels. There’s the game producers who have a different API, so a different set of code and system that they use, and they’ve got a lot more control of the whole thing,” he stated, “whereas from the advertising point of view we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can’t do certain things.”

Additional information from your Xbox LIVE account could also influence these by using metrics such as your gender, age, location, media habits and more, and Microsoft are very aware of the potential around this.
Striking how they don't seem so keen on Kinect as a games controller, whereas the advertising implications excite them.

http://sticktwiddlers.com/2013/06/28/xbox-one-dashboard-created-with-advertising-in-mind/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125523-Xbox-One-Designed-With-Advertising-in-Mind

Back