Micro USB plz?

Using full-size USB-B would be mechanically the best solution, if anyone can find the space.
Then...
The Pyra should firmly avoid obsolete and obscure external connectors.
Glol!

I honestly don't know the best option here. Mini USB may have its fans here, but finding a Mini USB OTG cable seems to be getting generally harder (though the availability of Chinese parts seems to have made them more available now than they were last year on Amazon UK curoiously enough). Micro USB is fragile apparently, and the larger USB sizes aren't generally used for charging. I never thought I'd be wishing for more USB standards ;)

Using full-size USB-B would be mechanically the best solution, if anyone can find the space.
Another vote for USB-B! I didn't think it would be this popular. Maybe we should try to convince ED. :D

-God Ginrai
Maybe re-think that.  USB 3.0  standard B connectors are -taller- than USB 3.0 standard A connectors.

Radical idea time.

Theory:  microUSB 3.0 OTG has the same wires as USB 3.0 standard A.  The OTG functionality is driven in the controller, not the socket configuration.

Idea:  Skip micro and mini USB completely and make the worlds first device with a USB 3.0 OTG standard A plug.

The Pyra would have a USB 3.0 OTG type A (host & client & charging) -and- a USB 2.0 host.

Drawbacks:  

Need an adapter to charge off of a phone charger (micro to A adapter).

To set up device in client mode, need a gender changer adapter or a 'male type A both ends' cable.

Gains:

Mechanically superior - more durable.

Height the same as USB host.

It's an idea - may or may not be a great one.  I'm mixed on it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously something like this is forbidden in the USB specs. How are they enforced again?

I guess that would be a good solution, just put a male-male cable in the box with the Pandora.

Obviously something like this is forbidden in the USB specs. How are they enforced again?

I guess that would be a good solution, just put a male-male cable in the box with the Pandora.
Don't need the male-male cable in the box - just a male-male gender changer plug.  (Plug with USB male on both ends).

Like this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-ADA20082-Gender-Changer-Adapter/dp/B005MMW55O

Alternatively, use the standard female USB 3.0 OTG micro connector on the Pyra and include this cable for charging and sync:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Type-Micro-B/dp/B005H3Q57M

Then you just need a 2A USB wall wort charger (ubiquitous) to charge with - alternatively you could use a cell phone charger in a pinch.

The more I think about it - the more I think that the OTG port should be micro USB 3.0 OTG.  The cables have become cheap, the Galaxy Note III set the stage where the're a more accepted standard.  Because they're MUCH wider than standard microUSB features, it should be much more stable/hardy.

Maybe re-think that. USB 3.0 standard B connectors are -taller- than USB 3.0 standard A connectors.
Why not put it sideways then?
Seems like what we really need is a full-size USB-AB socket

Really, though...  why not use one of the wide micro-USB 3.0 OTG ports as the OTG/charging/host/client switchable port AND a USB 2.0 host port?

Again - the main fault with micro-usb is that it's so tiny that it lacks durability.  The micro-USB 3.0 standard cures a lot of that simply by being a wider connector - giving it a bigger footprint on the circuit board.

What are the drawbacks to using micro-USB 3.0 OTG then?

The micro-USB 3.0 standard cures a lot of that simply by being a wider connector - giving it a bigger footprint on the circuit board.
I don't follow.

Sockets are only held down by a few tabs, not their entire PCB footprint.

Are microUSB3 sockets held down with far more tabs that microUSB2 ?

The micro-USB 3.0 standard cures a lot of that simply by being a wider connector - giving it a bigger footprint on the circuit board.
I don't follow.

Sockets are only held down by a few tabs, not their entire PCB footprint.

Are microUSB3 sockets held down with far more tabs that microUSB2 ?
The tabs ride on the outside edges of the feature.  Tabs that are farther apart have more mechanical leverage than tabs that are close.  Even if there are the same number of tabs, it will be inherently stronger.

The ability of a microUSB connector to withstand rough treatment is generally, appallingly bad.

I've got two Arduino boards where the entire connector is held on with two surface-mount tabs about 1.5mm². Both have had to be used with extreme care and laboriously hand-soldered back together.
I have one Arduino like that, and another with full-size USB-B. The full-size one feels like I'm going to break something when disconnecting, because the connector grips the cable really hard, circuit boards prefer to be held delicately by the edges, and I've often come close to dropping it or slamming it into something when the cable comes out. I actually added a micro adapter. (Of course, it wouldn't be so bad on a device with a case that you can grip properly.)

How about putting the connector on a seperate, small pcb that is connected by a flex cable to the main pcb ?

disadvantages I can think of:

- moves the stability problem to the case

- not possible due to size constrains

How about putting the connector on a seperate, small pcb that is connected by a flex cable to the main pcb ?
That's really smart, even though it would be a bit messy when not designed properly.

We can even put some charging circuit with it and a big battery case that can hold 4 rechargable batteries. 

Then we will have our own external battery pack with fully customizability, you can even use your own rechargable batteries. (you) Can't get more open than this. 

I like the idea of putting the socket on a separate board.

It could even be part of the main board but held on with tiny tabs that could be broken away when you need to replace the socket.

Looking at this, the cost of a spare board would be about £2

The additional cost in manufacture would probably be nothing, since it would just involve a little extra work for the machine  that cuts out PCBs (+ the cost of two flex cable connectors and a short length (1cm ?) of cable - this can't be more than a few £ )

bag_of_cement.jpg

That'll hold it in place. ;)

CeMeNt? Isn't that a windows technology?

Presenting-Windows-CEMeNT-Lost-and-Found-2.png
Genious,it made me laugh loud ;)

But a Extension like a Micro Docking Station is realy a good Idea for the Pyra.

Then can Exist TVOut Stations with Playstation Joypadports and other Ports.

And for gaming underway you dont need this Ports and the Pyra is smaller then.

I would love to see a Docking Station with Hub and other Things building like Archos TV Docks.

With TV Recording Function,XBMC and and and.

And all aviable USB Port Types for all ;)

Maybe re-think that.  USB 3.0  standard B connectors are -taller- than USB 3.0 standard A connectors.
And? That's fine w/ me. USB-B is much nicer than A because it has a solid connection and is easy to tell if it is right-side-up when trying to insert.

-God Ginrai

And? That's fine w/ me. USB-B is much nicer than A because it has a solid connection and is easy to tell if it is right-side-up when trying to insert.

-God Ginrai
It may be technically superior (I wouldn't know), but in my experience it is much less common. At least none of my memory sticks and devices use it.

Memory sticks? I'm not sure how much of the following you already know, but reading that makes me want to say this anyway:

USB-B is only used as a socket on the gadget (not host) side whenever a detachable cable is needed. Common uses for the full-size USB-B are (for example) printers and external hard drives. Smaller USB-B connectors (mini, micro) are used in almost every gadget, including cell phones and cameras.

USB-A is only used as a socket on the host (not gadget). The end that has USB-A connector (regular, mini, micro) is always the host.

USB-OTG changes its mode based on the cable inserted. If the connector is B it works as a gadget, if it's A it works as a host.

These connectors are not interchangeable. They actually have a meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
800px-Usb_connectors.JPG

Types of USB connectors left to right (ruler in centimeters): Micro-B plug, UC-E6 proprietary (non-USB) plug, Mini-B plug, Standard-A receptacle (upside down), Standard-A plug, Standard-B plug

271px-Types-usb_th1.svg.png

I propose to have one Type A port, one Mini-AB port (even though it is deprecated now), and one Micro-AB port with SlimPort capabilities.

I don't think it is useful to have a Type B port.

Back