Micro USB plz?

Can you expand on those good reasons?  My impression was that they dropped it solely because they wanted micro-USB to become the new standard..
I cant find the link right now (im in a starbucks) but there was an excellent article about how the design of the miniUSB end was a total failure after short-mid term of use, and MicroUSB was specifically created to address that.  

The exception being that miniUSB cables are as abundant as sea water
They will be way less abundant 5 years down the road, that's for sure. 

I'm not so fond of a Micro USB socket either, as it is even more fiddly to plug something in as with Mini USB. But industry is moving on and so should we.

I don't think that availability of cables will be the problem, I guess everybody has at least one lying around as it is shipped with cameras, phones, 2.5" external hdds, etc.

Micro USB is a standard Connector on new Mobile Phones because they want to sell new Phones nearly after Warranty.

I prefer Mini USB,its more stable and we are not the Mainstream here ;)

Pandora2/Pyra should be better than Cheap Mainstream Products ;)

Why not have all three sizes? Full-size (type A) and Mini-AB like on the Pandora (but USB 3.0 or 3.1 for the full size one, and please make sure that 2.0 and 1.0/1.1 also work), and Micro-AB with SlimPort. The SlimPort would also be used for video out. That way we don't need a dedicated HDMI or DP port, so space should not be an issue in this case.

How cool would it be to have a tiny laptop that can accept all major USB plugs directly?

Micro-AB with SlimPort. The SlimPort would also be used for video out. That way we don't need a dedicated HDMI or DP port, so space should not be an issue in this case.

How cool would it be to have a tiny laptop that can accept all major USB plugs directly?
That is the Best Solution for all ;)
Micro USB A/B as HDMI out with Adapter?
Sounds sooo cool ;)
But a Type A and Mini USB should be there too.

3 Differrent USB Connectors on one Machine.
Very geeky ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer microUSB myself.

I've not encountered the problems some have mentioned with them ... I do agree that the MiniUSB does feel firmer in the connection though, but not enough of a reason for me.

Most my other things use MicroUSB now, so would be handy to just have the one cable to hand and can swap them out.

My phone, my main camera, my tablet, all use MicroUSB and I leave the one same cable plugged in the wall behind my sofa and just plug in whatever needs charging to it ... at the moment I have to swap that out for the Pandora charger, would be better if it could charge of the same cable as my other tech

Using full-size USB-B would be mechanically the best solution, if anyone can find the space.

Failing that, extreme care should be taken designing and choosing a microUSB socket.

The Pyra should firmly avoid obsolete and obscure external connectors.

Just a point to add.  micro USB 3.0 connectors are a bit of a different animal.  Although they include a micro USB 2.0 compatible plug - that is only 1/2 of the 3.0 plug width.

Connector_USB_3_IMGP6033_wp_.jpg

Just a point to add. micro USB 3.0 connectors are a bit of a different animal. Although they include a micro USB 2.0 compatible plug - that is only 1/2 of the 3.0 plug width.

Connector_USB_3_IMGP6033_wp_.jpg
Ya I have an external hard drive with one of those. Also the Galaxy Note 3 has one built in. I think that might be the best option overall. it is larger and so easier to properly secure on the board.

Since this ks being manufactured fir sale in Europe, as I understand it, isnt it required to be chargeable via MicroUSB?
lol wut
http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/09/29/microusb-mandatory-european-union/
 The wonders of bureaucracy...  Never mind if a device has differing power requirements...  There are very good reasons why different devices have differently sized power connectors.    If that goes through we might see more horrors like the ASUS transformer charger that Prometheus mentioned some time ago,  it looked like a USB connector  but was actually at a higher voltage level, and if you tried to use it on any other device it would fry it.

While there's something to be said for making Apple play nice in the industry sandbox,  methinks they've missed the mark with this one.

- Neelix

With adapters, you can still use your old cables:

for example (if Pyra has micro usb):

http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-male-to-mini-usb-female-adapter-converter-for-nokia-3710f-6700c-6202c-6303c-37664

for example (if Pyra has micro usb 3, my favourite):

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/usb-3-0-gender-changer-mini-type-b-female-to-micro-type-b-male.html

img_0048.jpg
usb-3-0-gender-changer-mini-type-b-female-to-micro-type-b-male

Edit:

More about slimport:

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2012/11/02/what-is-slimport/

Woohoo! VGA and HDMI!

SlimPort_VGA_HDMI.jpg

With adapters, you can still use your old cables:
Why would you do that?

Its easier just to buy a new cable.

My objection to microUSB is that it is (or can be) an inferior connector

The exception being that miniUSB cables are as abundant as sea water
They will be way less abundant 5 years down the road, that's for sure.
Among the 5 things I bought last year with a USB connector, one had µUSB, the rest had miniUSB. I don't see them going away any time soon.
And the number with Mini-A sockets? Let me guess: zero. Mini-B isn't deprecated AFAIK, but Mini-A and Mini-A/B. Mini-A cables are pretty rare even today. There are none in mainstream electronics stores and the ones on online stores get downvoted by idiots complaining that they don't fit their (non-host) Mini-B peripherals.

Back