Beta Mednafen 0.9.17.1-Wip

Yep, works now. Thanks.

I think I will switch to this for my NES emulator of choice. I'd love if you add cheat support (I think mednafen supports .cht files), but I guess some kind of UI would be required for that. Yes, I'm a wuss but some NES games kick you in the balls. :blink:

Hi all,

I uploaded another version (r3) to repo.openpandora.org

Download

If you are upgrading from a previous version, you need to delete the file pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen/mednafen-09x.cfg in order to pick up the new settings

Changes since r2:

* Enabled cheats console
Press \ (Fn-c) to toggle the cheat console
Press ! to enable or disable cheats

* Enabled network console
Press n to open the console
See below for more info on network play

* Made English default language for Neo Geo pocket
* To restore default config file, simply delete mednafen-09x.cfg and restart

Network Play
If you would like to try out network play, here is what I did to test it:

Download and build mednafen-0.9.17-wip.tar.bz2 from http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&goto=2113&
I haven't tested any other versions, but they might work.

Download and build the latest mednafen-server from sourceforge here http://sourceforge.net/projects/mednafen/files/
Start it up with
./mednafen-server standard.conf

On the PC build start up a game and press 't' followed by
/server localhost 4046

On the Pandora start up the same game and press 'n' followed by
/server server_ip 4046

I tested it with a couple nes and pc engine games and it worked quite well with no hiccups using usb network.
With wifi I noticed a few hiccups, but they mostly went away after doing

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

If you try pcengine games, you need to launch mednafen on the PC with the parameters '-force_module pce_fast' for it to work.

One other thing I had to do:
On my PC build of mednafen the Enter key was not working in the network console.
I had to apply this patch

Code:
--- a/src/drivers/console.cpp
+++ b/src/drivers/console.cpp
@@ -102,6 +102,7 @@ int MDFNConsole::Event(const SDL_Event *event)
 			break;

case SDLK_RETURN:
+                     case SDLK_KP_ENTER:
                      {
                       std::string concat_str;
                       for(unsigned int i = 0; i < kb_buffer.size(); i++)

Please see the documentation at http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/documentation/ for more info on how to use the cheats and net play

Just curious - it looks like the .9.17.1 WIP build has support for both SNES and Genesis. Are there any specific reasons that they're not exposed in the Pandora build? I'm pretty excited to try out the netplay. It would be even cooler if I could do the netplay for SNES and Genesis though.

MooTheKow said:
Just curious - it looks like the .9.17.1 WIP build has support for both SNES and Genesis. Are there any specific reasons that they're not exposed in the Pandora build? I'm pretty excited to try out the netplay. It would be even cooler if I could do the netplay for SNES and Genesis though.

Unfortunately snes is a slide show on the Pandora. The mednafen code for snes is based on the emulator bsnes which targets accuracy over performance. I'd have to revisit Genesis, but when I originally tried it, it wasn't very stable and tended to crash every few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Potentially dumb question -- and if I missed this earlier in the thread I'm sorry, but what is the recommended way to exit a game? As is - when i hit escape (or the pandora kill button i think) - it leaves the game screen drawn on top of everything -- even if i completely exit back to minimenu and/or launch another application.

MooTheKow said:
Potentially dumb question -- and if I missed this earlier in the thread I'm sorry, but what is the recommended way to exit a game? As is - when i hit escape (or the pandora kill button i think) - it leaves the game screen drawn on top of everything -- even if i completely exit back to minimenu and/or launch another application.

To exit you should press Esc (Fn-q) - not the Pandora button, but thanks for catching that. I'll look into handling the Pandora button more gracefully.

On that topic, does anyone know what one can do when they encounter the situation of an SDL program crashing and leaving an image on top of everything? Short of rebooting that is.

Maybe not quitting properly (Not deinitialising the graphics?)

Any tips on getting this to compile? I have an Ubuntu virtual machine set up that I was using to compile personal builds of Mame4All -- but I can't seem to get Mednafen to compile. When I run the ./configure command it ends up telling me 'libcdio not found!'. Any tips on how I get this? I'm a pretty experienced programmer - but my last experience with Linux was probably 13 or 14 years ago (do windows/c# dev these days). So - basically treat me like a total newbie :)

MooTheKow said:
Any tips on getting this to compile? I have an Ubuntu virtual machine set up that I was using to compile personal builds of Mame4All -- but I can't seem to get Mednafen to compile. When I run the ./configure command it ends up telling me 'libcdio not found!'. Any tips on how I get this? I'm a pretty experienced programmer - but my last experience with Linux was probably 13 or 14 years ago (do windows/c# dev these days). So - basically treat me like a total newbie :)

You should just be able to run:

sudo apt-get install libcdio-dev

If configure complains about any other missing libraries search for them using:

apt-cache search libwhatever

and install the corresponding -dev package.

I found the following info regarding VBoy:

Code:
All of the VB-related command-line/config-file arguments start with "vb." e.g. "-vb.3dmode <mode>" chooses one of the four available 3-D display modes:
anaglyph
cscope
sidebyside
pbarrier

In anaglyph mode, there are color presets. Pick one with -vb.anaglyph.preset <preset>

Where <preset> is one of:
disabled
red_blue
red_cyan
red_electriccyan
red_green
green_magenta
yellow_blue

If none of the presets work well with your glasses, you can control the brightest color used for each eye with the -vb.anaglyph.lcolor and -vb.anaglyph.rcolor options (be sure to set "preset" to "disabled"). Each option takes an RGB triplet in 0xRRGGBB notation. The three shades for each eye are calculated from these colors.

The other VB-specific options are either self-explanatory or equivalent/similar to the other systems.

pder said:
MooTheKow said:

To exit you should press Esc (Fn-q) - not the Pandora button, but thanks for catching that. I'll look into handling the Pandora button more gracefully.

On that topic, does anyone know what one can do when they encounter the situation of an SDL program crashing and leaving an image on top of everything? Short of rebooting that is.

Moving things a little off topic... There's got to be a general solution to this problem. It happens with so many applications that I feel like the Pandora button being mapped as it is is a waste of already limited key space.

+ Games I played so far worked fine.

+ Customizeable game controls.

+ Save/load state gives an in-game fullscreen screenshot preview
-- But the game-play continues. Workaround: First pause current game (if possible) then save/load game-states. Suggesting: Emu should pause emulation for that time.
-- Should only display the screenshot as long as the number button is pressed (not a fixed time duration like the current 2-3 secs)
-- Should have more convenient buttons for save/load state (suggesting "l" and "s" (as in GnGB) instead of F5 and F7 which need the Fn modifier key (not very handy for quick access).

- At startup the app should remember previously used directory path.

- At quit the app should not leave any artefacts. I experienced the same as reported here by other users. Only an reboot Pandora reboot could resolve that.

porg said:
+ Games I played so far worked fine.

+ Customizeable game controls.

+ Save/load state gives an in-game fullscreen screenshot preview
-- But the game-play continues. Workaround: First pause current game (if possible) then save/load game-states. Suggesting: Emu should pause emulation for that time.
-- Should only display the screenshot as long as the number button is pressed (not a fixed time duration like the current 2-3 secs)
-- Should have more convenient buttons for save/load state (suggesting "l" and "s" (as in GnGB) instead of F5 and F7 which need the Fn modifier key (not very handy for quick access).

- At startup the app should remember previously used directory path.

- At quit the app should not leave any artefacts. I experienced the same as reported here by other users. Only an reboot Pandora reboot could resolve that.

I'll look into your suggestions for improving the save state previews- shouldn't be too hard.

The app should be remembering the last used directory path. I can't reproduce this and haven't heard anyone else reporting this problem.

Are you pressing the Pandora button or Esc (Fn-Q)? Several people have reported this issue and the simple workaround is to never press the pandora button because it causes the app to crash instead of exiting properly. Use Esc instead. However, I will incorporate the picorestore utility that notaz wrote into the launcher script to fix this issue if the app ever crashes or the pandora button is accidentally pressed.

Hey pder,

I've just tried running the wonderswan color part of the emulator. When pressing any direction on the dpad - it escapes to desktop while retaining the emulated image on top, however, you can't get back to the game. Buttons work fine, I even went through the game's menu. I also tested the NES part of Mednafen - same results.

Update, I've just notived that the dpad directions are mapped to q,shift,a and z. How can I go about changing that?

Any soltuions?
Thanks

amk said:
Hey pder,

I've just tried running the wonderswan color part of the emulator. When pressing any direction on the dpad - it escapes to desktop while retaining the emulated image on top, however, you can't get back to the game. Buttons work fine, I even went through the game's menu. I also tested the NES part of Mednafen - same results.

Update, I've just notived that the dpad directions are mapped to q,shift,a and z. How can I go about changing that?

Any soltuions?
Thanks

First make sure you have the latest version (r3), then try deleting the file mednafen-09x.cfg located in the pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen directory. This should restore the controls and key bindings to the defaults the next time you start.

Regarding wonderswan, I never found a satisfactory control scheme that was comfortable with a variety of games. You will have to configure this yourself. Load up a wonderswan game and press Shift-Alt-1 to configure the controls.

pder said:
amk said:
Hey pder,

Any soltuions?
Thanks

First make sure you have the latest version (r3), then try deleting the file mednafen-09x.cfg located in the pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen directory. This should restore the controls and key bindings to the defaults the next time you start.

Regarding wonderswan, I never found a satisfactory control scheme that was comfortable with a variety of games. You will have to configure this yourself. Load up a wonderswan game and press Shift-Alt-1 to configure the controls.

Thank you so much. I am very grateful as I will be able to enjoy Dicing Knight on a train tomorrow.
IMAG1229.jpg

Back