Beta Mednafen-Pce

I'm having issues running both versions of this... as soon as I load a rom it just quits on me. In the case of the Picklelauncher equipped one, it just goes back to the rom select menu immediately. Is there any way to get some sort of output to a terminal to see what's going on? (still new to my Pandora) Or is there something that I'm forgetting to do that's painfully obvious?

Thanks!

lardo4life said:
I'm having issues running both versions of this... as soon as I load a rom it just quits on me. In the case of the Picklelauncher equipped one, it just goes back to the rom select menu immediately. Is there any way to get some sort of output to a terminal to see what's going on? (still new to my Pandora) Or is there something that I'm forgetting to do that's painfully obvious?

Thanks!

You should see a file in /tmp called pndrunmednafen-pce_run.out If you can post the contents of that file, I can try to help.

Update: I realized I made a mistake in my packaging. Please grab version r2b above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to get it to run cd games. I've tried using both the US and the Japanese version of the syscard3.pce in the correct location. I've tried using the audio tracks converted as both mp3 and as wav. I've tried launching it with the cue file, track01.mp3/wav, and the iso file. If I launch it with a track01.mp3, I'll just get a blank screen that won't boot. If I try launching in any other way, including track01.wav, it doesn't do anything - not even the blank screen.

Other people have been able to run cd games, so obviously I'm doing something wrong. How are you supposed to get it to boot cd games?

ozzyfreakdude said:
I can't seem to get it to run cd games. I've tried using both the US and the Japanese version of the syscard3.pce in the correct location. I've tried using the audio tracks converted as both mp3 and as wav. I've tried launching it with the cue file, track01.mp3/wav, and the iso file. If I launch it with a track01.mp3, I'll just get a blank screen that won't boot. If I try launching in any other way, including track01.wav, it doesn't do anything - not even the blank screen.

Other people have been able to run cd games, so obviously I'm doing something wrong. How are you supposed to get it to boot cd games?

You will want to launch it with the cue file. Its possible your syscard3.pce could be a bad dump and you could try running usa_fix mentioned earlier in this thread on it.

You can also post the contents of /tmp/pndrun_mednafen-pce.out

pder said:
ozzyfreakdude said:

You will want to launch it with the cue file. Its possible your syscard3.pce could be a bad dump and you could try running usa_fix mentioned earlier in this thread on it.

You can also post the contents of /tmp/pndrun_mednafen-pce.out

I figured it out, my games were in the wrong format.
apparently they all have to be in iso/wav format (no mp3s). Also turbografx 16 cds appear to have a strange disc structure, so segacuemaker won't cut it for making the cues.

the cd games that I tried ran really smoothly with no overclock needed.
good job on the sweet emulator, thanks

ozzyfreakdude said:
I figured it out, my games were in the wrong format.
apparently they all have to be in iso/wav format (no mp3s). Also turbografx 16 cds appear to have a strange disc structure, so segacuemaker won't cut it for making the cues.

Note that ogg is supported as well. The tool I used to generate the cue iso and ogg files from a CD was included with Exophase's temper emulator. If you download the gp2x version of Temper, there is a windows exe and a source file included.

Thanks for the suggestion - using ogg's at ~96-112kb vs using wavs would mean that each game takes up about 1/10 of the space - which would be a Godsend on limited storage such as the Pandorian's SD card.

However, I tried the utility that you mentioned in Temper, and it wasn't working for me - when you use it as it comes, it doesn't find oggdec. I tried placing a number of versions of oggdec both in the exe folder and in the output folder, and got varying errors. How did you go about setting it up?

So instead I'm batch encoding all of the wav files to ogg and manually modifying the cue files to point to ogg files.

EDIT:
for some reason the ogg/cue files that I created don't work, whereas the wav files do. Go figure

What is the secret to making this work? I select a ROM (not CD) and it dumps out to minimenu.

Also could this maybe use something like Pickle launcher? that zenity thing is kind of cumbersome, not too good when using d-pad.

DaveC said:
What is the secret to making this work? I select a ROM (not CD) and it dumps out to minimenu.

Also could this maybe use something like Pickle launcher? that zenity thing is kind of cumbersome, not too good when using d-pad.

- Check that you have the latest version (r2b) installed.
- Try deleting mednafen-pce from the appdata directory and relaunching. (This shouldn't be necessary but who knows)
- If that fails, please post the contents of /tmp/pndrun_mednafen-pce.out

I'd rather not include Pickle launcher unless the problems with using a network filesystem are fixed and the source is released. I'd like to possibly incorporate a menu into the emulator so you can change various settings on the fly, but I don't know yet how feasible this is.

When I exit the emulator, by pressing the Pandora button, the game screen freezes and remains in front of minimenu. I have no choice but to reset the system. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

goldenegg said:
When I exit the emulator, by pressing the Pandora button, the game screen freezes and remains in front of minimenu. I have no choice but to reset the system. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
Did you by any chance install sebt3's new pnd_run.sh? I've been having a similar problem with quitting Mupen64 after installing it.

Does Alt+F4 work to exit?

Esn said:
goldenegg said:
Did you by any chance install sebt3's new pnd_run.sh? I've been having a similar problem with quitting Mupen64 after installing it.

Nope, I never installed that.

goldenegg said:
Esn said:
goldenegg said:

Nope, I never installed that.

You should use Esc (Fn-q) to exit.

I had the same problem, with the emulator just "crashing" back to minimenu, whenever I tried loading a game. Used the SD Formatter program to format my SD card, and copied the files back - now it's working like a charm. Apparently it was some sort of "read-only" problem that caused the problem. Hope this helps!
And thanks for an awesome emulator. :D

CD emulation works perfectly at 600MHz. I tried several games and I just finished Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (J) and everything went very well.
Thanks for this great emulator.

Blue Protoman said:
I still need to figure out how to get CD games working.

CD games work fine for me, in bin/cue format - just select the cue file to run, and it should work?

OGG files are also working in CD emulation. Blue, I sent you a PM. Please test it.

Instructions on how to rip your cds to work with Mednafen in pandora:

1-Download TurboRIP. (If you are on Vista use This TurboRIP version.)
2-Insert your PCE disk into your CD/DVD Drive (or mount the BIN/CUE image).
3-Run TurboRIP and select the number of your CD/DVD Drive loaded with the PCE game (you should 1 or 2 and hit enter)
4-TurboRIP automatically create a folder with all the .ISO, .cue, .toc and WAV files.
5-Copy all the files described above to your SD.
6-Start Mednafen and choose the .cue file - It should work.

Alternative to reduce the size of the games:
You can convert the .wav files to .ogg files, there are many ways to do this (google is your best friend).
If you do this, don't forget to change the .cue file too. You should change the music file extensions (from .wav to .ogg) and the words WAVE to OGG in the .cue.
Example:
ORIGINAL CUE:
FILE "TRACK-01.wav" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "TRACK-02.ISO" BINARY
TRACK 02 MODE1/2048
PREGAP 00:03:00
INDEX 01 00:00:00

OGG CUE:
FILE "TRACK-01.ogg" OGG
TRACK 01 AUDIO