Media Reports

I still haven't received the email. It's strange because I got the account activation email really fast and I'm wondering why I need to wait for another email. Are they personally checking my first message to make sure I'm not spamming?

Awakening said:
I still haven't received the email. It's strange because I got the account activation email really fast and I'm wondering why I need to wait for another email. Are they personally checking my first message to make sure I'm not spamming?
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51898-engadget-engaging-in-censorship/

Last edited by a moderator:
PocketGamer picks up on the appstore and promises a full review when they get theirs.

edit - oops, should have added that to the previous post - sorry! :blush:

here's another:

urbanblend wants one to review.

and another:

pocketables

btw, forums and blogs all over the net are a buzz about the pandora because of the engadget article. everyone thinks they are shipping.

Awakening said:
Are they personally checking my first message to make sure I'm not spamming?
No, their comment system is just borked. Once you're registered, you shouldn't get the "we're sending a confirmation email" message. No email will ever show up. If you get that message (everybody gets it sometimes), the system is being screwy and your post may or may not show up eventually. I've had comments never show up, and I've had them show up double a couple hours later.

Chip said:
Awakening said:
Are they personally checking my first message to make sure I'm not spamming?
No, their comment system is just borked. Once you're registered, you shouldn't get the "we're sending a confirmation email" message. No email will ever show up. If you get that message (everybody gets it sometimes), the system is being screwy and your post may or may not show up eventually. I've had comments never show up, and I've had them show up double a couple hours later.
Thanks for the info Chip. However, I tried posting again (I had saved my post in a text file) but I got the same message again:
Your comment was submitted.

An e-mail has been sent to confirm your e-mail address, as well as a password for you to use if you
comment regularly. Click on the link within the e-mail to activate your comment and password.

Have you put your full email address and the password from the account email into the fields? I've never gotten one of those when using them.

If I recall correctly Engadget's comment system is the same one that Joystiq uses, and the way it works is if you comment once you get a code assigned to your email address. that code is yours forever and you have to keep entering it to avoid the confirmation message. But assuming you used your code, if you curse or use a term they have blocked they simply dont tell you to fix it, you just get the confirmation prompt and never get an email. Your post just wont go up as long as the offending word is still there. I've had it happen several times.

From my understanding they have moved from an old system to a new system. The new system is similar to many forums, you sign up and get an activation link emailed to you. Once I've logged in there are no fields to enter any information other then the comment. There should also be no offending words in my post. I have contacted them about my problem, let's see what they say when they reply.

From Linux Format April edition
Carl said:
Appears in the April issue (subscriber copy dropped through my door this morning), fairly general piece :

"Pandora Launches handheld console - Another attempt to build an open source, open standard gaming device - After three years of development, the Pandora gaming handheld is apparently ready for release, just in time to capitalise on the popularity of it's name through the film Avatar. The device which resembles a fat Nintendo DS with a keyboard at the base, was announced in 2007 and was instantly proclaimed as the "world's most powerful handheld gaming device". However, in the time it's taken to come to market, the machine's specs - 600MHz chip, 256MB RAM- have been eclipsed by the likes of the iPhone and Google's Nexus One. The developer says the device is more than adequate for playing games such as Quake III and will also run a full version of the Firefox web browser to provide a full 'desktop-like' experience in a form factor smaller than a netbook.

While the company is selling the device on its gaming prowess, it actually running (sic) a tailored version of Angstrom-Linux, which is also available for the Archos range of media players(see boxout below(Underneath there is a small article about the Archos media players)), and will install and run a wide range of desktop software. The Pandora has the usual array of connectors and includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and a TV-out for gaming or video playback on the big screen. The company is currently taking online orders through its website and the first batch of pre-ordered devices are expected to be shipped soon, although no precise date has been given. The Pandora is the latest in a long line of gaming machines which have been based on Linux; however most have not succeeded, because they are open systems and the hardware developers can't rely on licensed game sales to subsidise the hardware." source Linux Format (c) Future Publishing, all typos except the one noted are purely my own work ;)

There's also a picture of the Pandora with the caption "The Pandora claims to be a games machine, but appears to be capable of much more - look at that keyboard!"

Very nice article about ED and the Pandora in a German paper.

EDmenagerie.jpg

Google translate link

Spotted at http://www.pandorato...nd-die-pandora/

Reposted on Pandorapress of course: http://pandorapress....a-bit-of-cebit/

If you're reading this ED, can you get a higher res version of that pic?

I particularly liked the line about "a few dedicated lunatics." :D

Back