Media Reports

Guys, just set up a Google alert for the term 'Pandora handheld'. I noticed the alert going crazy over the last few days after being dormant for ages. Nine in two days is good going.

ashdjones said:
Guys, just set up a Google alert for the term 'Pandora handheld'. I noticed the alert going crazy over the last few days after being dormant for ages. Nine in two days is good going.

I may be one of the few (only one) who doesn't have a google account and not wanted to set one up either. :lol: Do you need one for this?

Also would it give you a good list so that someone can come along and have a browse of the write ups at a later date?

Last edited by a moderator:
MonkeyChops said:
small blurb on Linux Today: http://www.linuxtoda...121000535NWGMHW

*edit- also on ubergizmo : http://www.ubergizmo...k_and_roll.html

*edit2- oh and also ehomeupgrade : http://www.ehomeupgr...c-nears-launch/

*edit3- add xtremeopensource to the list: http://www.xtremeope...ource&Itemid=26

*edit4- and pocketables: http://www.pocketables.net/2009/12/pandora-open-source-umpcconsole-reaches-production-milestone.html
"MSRP", "suggested retail price"... methinks that some of these articles don't quite get it.

That engadget article is pretty wrong 'well in to the new year'. The case edits are not as major as people think. We are expecting an update tomorrow/monday.

That's all there is left to do.

craigix said:
That engadget article is pretty wrong 'well in to the new year'. The case edits are not as major as people think. We are expecting an update tomorrow/monday.

So you might get an update on Saturday? Wow, the Chinese really don't get any time off.

second exodous said:
So you might get an update on Saturday? Wow, the Chinese really don't get any time off.
Most factories in North America run 7 days a week as well, at least all the ones I've worked at. A couple of them were even 24/7. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they would be working on a Saturday. In fact, it would surprise me if the factory actually did shut down for the weekend. Especially since it's a plastics factory. Injection moulds need to be quite hot, and stopping on the weekend allows them to cool to the point that it can be very expensive and time consuming getting them back to optimal temperature.

craigix said:

Maybe they're taking into account the time it'll take to make & ship 4000 units. Even if there had been no fixes, most units would only have been shipped after the New Year.

Heh, on another engadget post, someone wrote that the Pandora is, "frankly, kind of ugly. Like a mix of a Nintendo DS and some kind of early 80ies PC."

Well, he just perfectly described my dream device.

GunPei2X said:
Heh, on another engadget post, someone wrote that the Pandora is, "frankly, kind of ugly. Like a mix of a Nintendo DS and some kind of early 80ies PC."

Well, he just perfectly described my dream device.
A lot of people that I've shown pictures to tell me the Pandora is ugly. I think it looks awesome, best looking clam shell I've ever seen. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some of you (SONY in particular) need to calm down a bit.

The Pandora isn't for everyone. A lot of people aren't going to "get" it. A lot of people don't need a device like the Pandora, and wouldn't know what to do with it if they had one. That's really not something worth getting worked up over.

Iorgy77 said:
I love the idea of it and the features but I agree its ugly. Hiring an industrial designer would of just added to the cost.
Really? Hmm, I guess it's not up to Apple's standards but I think it looks as good as the DS Light, better than the original DS.

I do think it looks a little on the bulky side but I know about the battery so I over look it.

From a designer's viewpoint, the only visual thing I have a problem with is...

...the curve on the top lid, which I think should be a bit more steep because it kinda makes it look like older cases for glasses. This is really only an issue because the bottom of the case is flat in contrast. This creates this silhouette which culturally signifies the end of a man's life like typical round top tombstones, engagement ring boxes, or many things designed during the Cold War. At the same time, it's Pandora's Box, so it's kinda very appropriate in that way.

When you open it up, it's a beauty though. You'd have to either not appreciate the details (that you would if you had any gadget) to think this thing is ugly. The matte finish will only enhance it in my mind.

No doubt it is functional and everything is in its place for a reason, I just think a bit more effort could of gone into the design. Something like the logitech dinovo mini meets the tapwave zodiac in a clamshell would of been much nicer imo. By that I mean the aluminium finish of the zodiac with the keyboard of the dinovo mini.

dinovo-mini-2.jpg

Tapwave_Zodiac_13_L.jpg

Iorgy, that's ugly as hell.
Edit: I'd have prefered the older non rounded version of Pandora, but the proportions are off. The curved lid is a compromise. Else the whole device would have just been called "The Brick" or something.

Back