May I Present You With...

BackAssward said:
marshal said:
USB1 will work on the usb OTG port. As it's custom made he might as well put a mini usb connector so he can connect to it directly (no adapter). The only limitation is that it should not use more than 100mah
If it is USB 1, he might as well throw a hum inside... he's got the real-estate to fit one. Then he could also use it as a hub for other USB devices. I think that'd be better than using the OTG.

@ marshal - it would still require an OTG adapter, either at the plug end or inside the stick casing. I think BackAssward's idea is a good one (assuming the existing stick internals aren't USB2 already).

Sugar Kane, you could even go the whole hog and put some flash storage for ROMs inside the case. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The term is "crazy muffin"!

I'm still trying to figure out some nice artwork for my arcade cabs and supergun hardware :) Nice :)

jeff

Gruso said:
Sugar Kane, you could even go the whole hog and put some flash storage for ROMs inside the case. :D

Didn't think of that. heck, along those lines, he could throw a small hard drive in there, and if he did put in a hub he could make it house anything he wanted. It could double as a docking station... anything USB would be possible. Ethernet comes to mind. I mean, you have the space, why not use it?

Gruso said:
BackAssward said:
marshal said:
USB1 will work on the usb OTG port. As it's custom made he might as well put a mini usb connector so he can connect to it directly (no adapter). The only limitation is that it should not use more than 100mah
If it is USB 1, he might as well throw a hum inside... he's got the real-estate to fit one. Then he could also use it as a hub for other USB devices. I think that'd be better than using the OTG.

@ marshal - it would still require an OTG adapter, either at the plug end or inside the stick casing. I think BackAssward's idea is a good one (assuming the existing stick internals aren't USB2 already).

You're right of course. A simple mini USB wouldn't do it... forgot about that.

Gruso said:
Nice work Sugar Kane :)

Thanks Gruso!

BackAssward said:
Gruso said:

Didn't think of that. heck, along those lines, he could throw a small hard drive in there, and if he did put in a hub he could make it house anything he wanted. It could double as a docking station... anything USB would be possible. Ethernet comes to mind. I mean, you have the space, why not use it?

There isn't really a great deal of room inside once the PCB and wires are in, I doubt I'd get even a small hard drive in there! Flash might work, but as the guts of this will be a hacked pad (might just pick up a USB pad this afternoon), i'd have to pull off some technical witchcraft to incorporate something like that, and I don't have the knowledge.

Hopefully I'll have this wrapped up by this evening, along with the second stick that I was working on, then I'll do some more pics and a size comparison.

nice looking joyatick. you should use an xbox1 controller and wire up an arkanoid knob. they are already usb. the street fighter pad boards are tiny and still have a spare usb port (memcard slot) for a hard drive.

tin your wires and use flux!

rabidpoobear said:
JHemperly said:
That actually should be quite portable. On another note, i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one that sucks at soldering! I killed 2 DS lites trying to desolder and swap the power switches :( I'd like to think it's the irons i'm using, but i'm pretty sure i'm just bad at it. I'd love to see pictures when you're finished, keep up the good work!

If anyone ever needs some soldering done and don't mind paying for shipping, I'd do it for free (I have a nice iron and I do it pretty often but I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist.) Also I make no guarantees I wouldn't mess it up, but I haven't messed up anything so far (I've soldered modchips and other delicate things like that, I can do small stuff so long as it's not surface-mounted parts.)

Actually, the power switch -was- surface mounted on some solder pads :rolleyes: . Every instruction i read said "oh it's easy, just don't desolder the solder pads or you're screwed". Not such an easy task when they're tiny as hell and your iron can't keep the precision tip heated up (unless you turn it to the high temp setting and start melting other shit you accidentally bump with the base). I actually found some alternate through-the-board solder points that i may be able to use, so maybe if i ever get around to buying a replacement switch, i'll send you a PM, rabidpoobear.

Taking longer than expected. This being the UK, I couldn't find a reasonably priced USB pad in town, then I threw my back out and rendered myself Quasimodo. But I'm almost there...

Well, I'll be the one interested in the wood working I suppose.

Please tell what sort of wood you used to build the case with?

Zor Prime said:

It's oak, although I'm not sure which variety. A friend of a friend is a cabinet maker and he gave me a board for Christmas

Sugar_Kane said:
Zor Prime said:

It's oak, although I'm not sure which variety. A friend of a friend is a cabinet maker and he gave me a board for Christmas

English Oak ?. The best.

Trooper

BackAssward said:
marshal said:
If it is USB 1, he might as well throw a hub inside... he's got the real-estate to fit one. Then he could also use it as a hub for other USB devices. I think that'd be better than using the OTG.
Well it depends maybe it is also the protective case for the Pandora.It looks strong.

im no pro at soldering either, i have done modchip, eplaced bad caps in lcds, and soldered surface mount leds in my wiimote (green leds ftw)

trooper said:
Sugar_Kane said:
Zor Prime said:

English Oak ?. The best.

Trooper
Professor Oak?

Ok, still no wiring as I couldn't fit the pcb inside the case! It was just slightly too small. I'll have to buy a smaller pcb, no matter. I did do a comparison with the other sticks that I made. The two larger ones have A4 plexi panels, to give you an idea of the size.
4360006729_8e6ece44b5.jpg

calc84maniac said:
So how long did it take you to erect your joystick?

*facepalm*

It's still on going, do you think I should seek help?

Sugar_Kane said:
It's still on going, do you think I should seek help?
This bottle of little blue pills suggests seeking medical help if it persists for more than 4 hours.

Back