May I Present You With...

Sugar_Kane

Could crush a grape
Hello All,

I hope you don't mind, but I'm so close to finishing this that I couldn't wait to show it to you. I've been planning to make a joystick for when my Pandora arrives, and I thought that as we're in the twilight age of production, I'd better ramp things up. I hope you like it!
4351550577_b0b780cc7c.jpg

4351554725_e43cae71f7.jpg

4352359004_9e584d52e6.jpg

It's a miniature stick, because I felt it had to match the portability of the Pandora.

Phawx said:
I was hesitant to click on this thread.

LOL! I can't believe that slipped by my pun radar...

r00tw00t said:
I must say. Impressive work sir! :)

Thanks dude!

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I like :D
How long you been working on it for, and any chance of seeing the inside?

EDIT: :lol: @ Phawx

I'd been working on the frame for about a week, then I had to wait a week for the parts to arrive from Japan. I will be glad to show you the insides (including my god awful soldering) but it isn't wired yet, I'll be hacking a ps1 pad tomorrow and finishing it off. I'll pop more pics up when it's finito.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phawx said:
I was hesitant to click on this thread.

hahaha same :lol:

ps: very nice work, i like the wood trim.

Sugar_Kane said:
I'd been working on the frame for about a week, then I had to wait a week for the parts to arrive from Japan. I will be glad to show you the insides (including my god awful soldering) but it isn't wired yet, I'll be hacking a ps1 pad tomorrow and finishing it off. I'll pop more pics up when it's finito.
It's too bad you don't have a regular rs232 controller, you could probably hook that directly to the UART so you'd just use a cable directly in instead of using an adapter (a USB pad would actually work better now that I think about it, so long as it's 2.0 (which may be rare))

Also are you interested in some ps1 arcade sticks? I listed them on craigslist and no one wanted them, I'm in Texas. You pay for shipping and I'll send 'em to you, there's 4 of them.

USB1 will work on the usb OTG port. As it's custom made he might as well put a mini usb connector so he can connect to it directly (no adapter). The only limitation is that it should not use more than 100mah

marshal said:
USB1 will work on the usb OTG port. As it's custom made he might as well put a mini usb connector so he can connect to it directly (no adapter). The only limitation is that it should not use more than 100mah
If it is USB 1, he might as well throw a hub inside... he's got the real-estate to fit one. Then he could also use it as a hub for other USB devices. I think that'd be better than using the OTG.

That's really nice! Classy and classic.

Y'know, It actually doesn't look that small in the picture...how about a pic of your joystick in your hand...that didn't come out right. How about holding a ruler... On second thought, i'm going to stop digging this hole any deeper. ;)

rabidpoobear said:
Also are you interested in some ps1 arcade sticks? I listed them on craigslist and no one wanted them, I'm in Texas. You pay for shipping and I'll send 'em to you, there's 4 of them.

Possibly! Pm me what you have and what you want for em and I'll let you know

JHemperly said:
That's really nice! Classy and classic.

Y'know, It actually doesn't look that small in the picture...how about a pic of your joystick in your hand...that didn't come out right. How about holding a ruler... On second thought, i'm going to stop digging this hole any deeper. ;)

I'll just avoid any innuendo and simply say that my joystick is 8 and a half inches long, and 5 and a half inches wide... oh dear

I guess you have a button on each side to work with pinball games? What are the two buttons on top for?

Oh, and looks really nice :) I would have used a different image though.

[/quote]

I'll just avoid any innuendo and simply say that my joystick is 8 and a half inches long, and 5 and a half inches wide... oh dear
[/quote]

That actually should be quite portable. On another note, i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one that sucks at soldering! I killed 2 DS lites trying to desolder and swap the power switches :( I'd like to think it's the irons i'm using, but i'm pretty sure i'm just bad at it. I'd love to see pictures when you're finished, keep up the good work!

Awakening said:
I guess you have a button on each side to work with pinball games? What are the two buttons on top for?

Oh, and looks really nice :) I would have used a different image though.

The two on the back are start/select. There is only one on the side, and on a normal custom I would map that to the home button on the ps3 or the xbox. I put it in to hopefully map to access the menu of whatever emu I'm in.

Sugar_Kane said:
The two on the back are start/select. There is only one on the side, and on a normal custom I would map that to the home button on the ps3 or the xbox. I put it in to hopefully map to access the menu of whatever emu I'm in.
I was thinking start and select but thought the location was odd. I think you are missing out if you don't have pinball buttons on the sides, I'm looking forward to playing the classic Amiga pinball games on my Pandora :)

Sugar_Kane said:
rabidpoobear said:

Possibly! Pm me what you have and what you want for em and I'll let you know

I'd send them to you for free, but I don't really want to ship them to UK :(

JHemperly said:
That actually should be quite portable. On another note, i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one that sucks at soldering! I killed 2 DS lites trying to desolder and swap the power switches :( I'd like to think it's the irons i'm using, but i'm pretty sure i'm just bad at it. I'd love to see pictures when you're finished, keep up the good work!

If anyone ever needs some soldering done and don't mind paying for shipping, I'd do it for free (I have a nice iron and I do it pretty often but I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist.) Also I make no guarantees I wouldn't mess it up, but I haven't messed up anything so far (I've soldered modchips and other delicate things like that, I can do small stuff so long as it's not surface-mounted parts.)

Back