Maxconsole Article, Very Nice........

@Fanboy Comments. Wow, you really can't win with these people can you?

For some reason I kept laughing every time someone says, it's dated, and tells you to buy a PSP. [sarcasm]Which is clearly not old at all.[/sarcasm]

Found it more hilarious someone thought the author of the article was an employee, because he's defending his article.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys just don't understand. The Pandora just doesn't have enough of the dual core! Where are the cores?!

@Fanboy Comments. Wow, you really can't win with these people can you?

For some reason I kept laughing every time someone says, it's dated, and tells you to buy a PSP. [sarcasm]Which is clearly not old at all.[/sarcasm]

Found it more hilarious someone thought the author of the article was an employee, because he's defending his article.

I'm not sure what you were laughing at then... most of the posts said the hardware was dated, which is what you'd expect from something is 2+ years overdue, and many said the price was too high, which is subjective but not especially unreasonable.

The only person who mentioned PSP said that gamers would prefer a "PSP-like" handheld with commercial games and homebrew, which kind of makes sense too. Nowhere did anyone say "this is dated, go buy a PSP."

Personally, I think these days some people in the Pandora-faithful camp come off as pretty unreasonable too *dons flamesuit*

I'm not sure what you were laughing at then... most of the posts said the hardware was dated, which is what you'd expect from something is 2+ years overdue, and many said the price was too high, which is subjective but not especially unreasonable.

[…]
You're right, the hardware seems outdated and overpriced to the mainstream consumers.

The reasons are simple, they see that their cell phones are fitted with dual cores and gigahertz+ processors and that their consoles are really cheap.

I may be wrong, but here is what I think about that :

What they don't know is that phones don't need processors that powerful, but since companies want to sell new phones every years, the processor speed is a good argument.

And with powerful processors, devs don't have to optimize that much their code, it means less development hours => reduced costs.

About the cheap consoles, they are not aware that most of the consoles are sold at a (huge) loss.

So I can understand what they say, but I can't really agree. So like maplesugarlover, I go back to waiting my pandora
tongue.gif

The only person who mentioned PSP said that gamers would prefer a "PSP-like" handheld with commercial games and homebrew, which kind of makes sense too. Nowhere did anyone say "this is dated, go buy a PSP."

Personally, I think these days some people in the Pandora-faithful camp come off as pretty unreasonable too *dons flamesuit*

I was generalizing, which was unnecessary. I could have reworded what I said to come off as less unreasonable, and I don't normally focus on people dislikes about the pandora, as it isn't really the every-man machine. I guess I was worked up by the purely negative comments to actually formulate a post that didn't make me sound like a douche. So, for that. I apologize for making you reply to my initial post.

You're right, the hardware seems outdated and overpriced to the mainstream consumers.
The reasons are simple, they see that their cell phones are fitted with dual cores and gigahertz+ processors and that their consoles are really cheap.

I may be wrong, but here is what I think about that :

What they don't know is that phones don't need processors that powerful, but since companies want to sell new phones every years, the processor speed is a good argument.

And with powerful processors, devs don't have to optimize that much their code, it means less development hours => reduced costs.

About the cheap consoles, they are not aware that most of the consoles are sold at a (huge) loss.

So I can understand what they say, but I can't really agree. So like maplesugarlover, I go back to waiting my pandora
tongue.gif

Consumers aren't so blind as to buy a smart phone that they only want to use to make voice calls. Smart phones these days are more general purpose devices meant for running highly special-purpose apps, but geared towards web browsing, media, and gaming. These things can benefit a lot from improved specs.

If anything phones benefit more than Pandora because Pandora doesn't have a stream of gaming content that can push the CPU and GPU capabilities. Most of Pandora's CPU tends to go to emulation, and you need a huge capability boost to make a difference to really move a system from "too slow" to "good enough" for emulation. But people are still running their Pandoras overclocked to get a lot of emulators running as well as possible, and especially for N64 and PS1 right now more CPU would help. A lot of this can change as software improves, but this too is a cost and it's an advantage to be able to run slower software faster sooner.

Another advantage is that higher performance in this space generally means you can do the same workload for less power consumption. Again, this helps Pandora less because it has such a huge battery, but IMO a later Pandora would benefit a lot from being able to have a much smaller battery. Too bad that that'd require redesigning part of the case.

Then there are other facets like RAM capacity which does impose usability restrictions.

Right now the difference between phone hardware and Pandora isn't really enough for the phones to have a big killer app gap for things that actually can run on both to begin with (mainly emulators). But if Dreamcast, DS, and/or PSP end up becoming a reality on phones and not Pandora, due largely in part to phones suddenly gaining multiple cores, things will look worse.

It's true that a lot of the more high end consoles are at least initially sold at a big loss, but it still looks bad for Pandora to debut at $330, be massively delayed, and then end up with a huge price increase even though during this time the cost of components would surely have gone down and not up (inflation wouldn't be nearly large enough to counter this).

Still don't understand people who thump the "buy a PSP" or "buy a 3DS". 3DS's most interesting flagship games are rehashes of old like OOT, and PSP last time I checked -still- can't manage flawless SNES emulation with no frame-skipping on certain games.

These people wont buy a pandora but there are a lot that will. It has immediate appeal to people who are in the niche we are in. I think that it being a niche helps these forums and the pandora to be a nice device and it's not for the masses but who cares. I have a lot of friends that like the pandora and when I hand it to them they play with it but they will never buy one and it suits them because if they would buy one they would never use it to the extent it could and they probably be all over the boards complaning about stuff that is not easy enough or doesn't work (these are the people that are very afraid of the command line)

then again they really dont understand the pandora:

Khameleon - Yesterday

So which Pandora employee are you? You've made multiple lengthy posts trying to justify it. We don't believe you you need more people.

Still don't understand people who thump the "buy a PSP" or "buy a 3DS". 3DS's most interesting flagship games are rehashes of old like OOT, and PSP last time I checked -still- can't manage flawless SNES emulation with no frame-skipping on certain games.
The fact is that they're all just completely different machines.

Personally, I find that my Pandora and my 3DS complement each other perfectly, but I think it would be impossible for me to compare one to the other or choose one over the other, because they both perform quite different tasks in my everyday life.

For me, it's very much like the overlap of carrying a Game Boy and a Psion Series 3a, in ye olde times. :p (Except back then I could never afford the Psion Series 3a. :( I always really wanted one, though, and the Pandora fulfills the tasks I had envisaged for it back then, and then some, because it's not reliant on syncing with a computer like the Series 3a was.)

Although these comments are perfectly acceptable (if I didn't know as much about the pandora as I did, I couldve been one of those commentors. The true question is, how powerful do you need the pandora to be? Is there not a current cutoff to 'retro'? As software gets better, (I mean, iirc, we don't even have the graphics chip running properly yet) the pandora will probably max out at smooth n64 emulation (not a small feat, my iPhone 4 with MOAR GIGAHURTZ doesn't run n64 properly). The other thing is, the BUTTONS. Smartphones don't have buttons. Touch isn't even a valid excuse. (hence the icontrolpad, but software support is still evolving). Nothing beats a good dpad.

Nothing beats a good dpad.

Booya. Pandora's dpad is phenomenal. A few of those posts are actually just trolls :3. But I don't like that a lot of those people are just whining. ED, Craig, Fatih, Michael Weston, and everyone else involved in the project put something amazing together and all they see is "I've never seen that before and you can't get it in a store so it sucks." I don't care if they don't like it, it just bugs me when people act stupidly like that.

how powerful do you need the pandora to be? Is there not a current cutoff to 'retro'? As software gets better
I would say 1ghz and 512mb ram to be capable of running firefox4 very smoothly and watch flash at 480p. That isn't going to happen, but I'm still very happy with this device. For the first time in years I'm pulling out these classic games to replay. I am sure I'll have more fun using it than an iPhone which is locked down, but I find comparing the Pandora to an iPhone is ridiculous since they are two different categories of devices.

Anyway I hope there will be the Pandora 2 one day. I never owned a laptop before, because I feel its too big vs the performance to make it worthwhile. But the Pandora sub-notebook form factor is very good. Before the Pandora, I was interested in the x86 UMPCs like the OQO, but they costed massively and was ahead of their time. A Pandora with dualcore arm, 1gb ram, and mini-displayport output would make a perfect device. Also it should have one of those integrated optical mouse where you slide your thumb over, similar to the Raon Everun handheld (not the Note).

Can someone with an account there post a link to EDs video thread so interested peeps can get a feel for the pandoras capabilities. It might give the fanboys a bit of a shock too lol.

Back