Mame4All

1magus

I was wondering since XMAME won't be for a while, can Mame4All emulate Sega32 Arcade cabinets?
SegaSonic the Hedgehog would be nice :)

antheus123 said:
Wasn't xmame ported months ago?
Since I have no Pandora I would not know that. But last I heard X-MAME was not going to be supported fully for a while due to a problem with the developer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If MAME 0.101u5: Anonymous fixed SegaSonic so it works as well as the prototype version (still major graphics issues) - Game now playable.

MAME4All == MAME 0.37b12

then NO

TylerAW said:
Since I have no Pandora I would not know that. <snip>
Few people have. Owning one is unlikely to cure ignorance. The truth is out there. :p

TylerAW said:
antheus123 said:
Wasn't xmame ported months ago?
Since I have no Pandora I would not know that. But last I heard X-MAME was not going to be supported fully for a while due to a problem with the developer.
As far as I can tell, XMAME development halted several years ago (which is probably why it was a good candidate for Cpasjuste to port it). There's no problem with developers or anything. If someone wanted to continue work on XMAME I'm sure they could, but with MAME4all so well supported there would be little point.

As for game compatibility (didn't we do all this recently? :p ), the info is out there. Heaps of MAME threads in the GP2X and Wiz sections. :) Yod4z's post is probably the quick answer you need though.

Yes, XMAME is officially dead and replaced by SDLMAME.

BTW if people want to resurrect XMAME, I will strongly oppose :)

From what I understand, XMAME died due to some change in the way MAME itself handles video updates. They used to be handled in such a way that XMAME could just pass whole frames through various backends to display in X11, svgalib, OpenGL, etc. At some point (0.106? I forget) there was a major change in the MAME core that meant that XMAME would have to do a ton of extra video processing in order to work the way it had, or it would have to be mostly rewritten. Thus, the project died. From what I understand, this is also the reason MacMAME died out too.

--Zero

Yes, that's more or less the story. And at about the same time some MAME dev's decided to create SDLMAME, so there really was little point in putting any effort in XMAME.

Back