Mame4All Gp32 V1.0

slaanesh said:
Hmmmm, yes I don't actually have a BLU+ so I can't test.

Yes, too bad. :(

Also, I've made some progress with profiling on the GP32. This seems to result in about a 10% speed increase in many games.

Sounds good, a speed boost for Mame4all is always welcome. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the internal switch in the smc socket is defective.
Have you already tried to solder these two connections together ?

show.php

the same problems here with the smcs. my blu killed at least 5 smc. I had a normal gp32 before and never experienced this. However, when I bought the BLU I gave the gp32 to my brother. I hate SMC, the only mistake gamepark did with the gp32

camiga64 said:

show.php
I soldered this together. Tested it with a multimeter but still no luck.
I wonder if this GP32 has been registered? It is a BLU+ with the Euro FW so I thought it didn't need to be.
Selecting "Play" gives me the "SMC is not inserted or no game exists". Mind you i've only got .fxe on that SMC.
PC Link starts up on my Mac when I've got a cable connected. However nothing else seems to work. It's been such a long time since I've needed to do this that I can't remember exactly what to do.

slaanesh said:
camiga64 said:

show.php
I soldered this together. Tested it with a multimeter but still no luck.

Crap !
Is it possible for you, to check each SMC connection (i/o line, via portbits from the S3C2400X) for function per mulimeter ?

slaanesh said:
I wonder if this GP32 has been registered? It is a BLU+ with the Euro FW so I thought it didn't need to be.

I can't tell you anything about this GP32, i've ripped the pic out from the net.

Finally, my xd adapter arrived. to be on the safe side, I bought a 128MB xd card. From now on, I do not have to fear anymore the death of the expensive smcs each time I change the roms for the Mame4All emulator. Any experience with bigger cards? 256MB or even higher?

chaos engineer said:
Finally, my xd adapter arrived. to be on the safe side, I bought a 128MB xd card. From now on, I do not have to fear anymore the death of the expensive smcs each time I change the roms for the Mame4All emulator. Any experience with bigger cards? 256MB or even higher?
Oddly enough I still use my trusty Transcend 128MB SMC card which I bought on the same day that my first GP32 arrived.
I still remember driving to work with my new package and doing the un-boxing whilst I was waiting at a train-crossing.

Ha - I also remember thinking that the build quality seemed not as good as my newly acquired GBA.

Anyway, from that point on the GP32 was my number one handheld.

Good luck with your XD adapter, hope it all works out. If anyone can repair or suggest what else to do on my broken BLU+, please feel free to say something. :)

chaos -- does the XD adapter work?

I just got one as well, but can't find my gp32 comms cable so can't send any .fxe's to the damned thing ;) I've got a 1GB XD for the adapter, so I could perhaps pick up an XD supporting multicard wrtier, but I'm unsure if that'd work.. ie: for the gp32 to see it, perhaps the card needs to be formatted in the adapter (and thus via the gp32 and the cable) .. as I'm not sure what happens with the adapter (masking off the top ports of the card, which would invalidate a full 1GB formatting, etc.)

Any experiences?

jeff

Back on topic here, I'm wrapping version 1.1 of MAME4ALL for GP32.

Features:

More Speed! A nice increase in fact! This is achieved by: optimized compiler settings, code profiling (using -fprofile-generate and -fprofile-use and a custom built GP32 version of libgcov.a), and using GCC's g++ instead of gcc. As a side effect, this seems to have eliminated

More Speed! Implemented option to use DrZ80 for sound CPUs only. This provides a big speed increase to games that previously couldn't use DrZ80. Examples include: Tapper (and other MCR games), Choplifter and Wonderboy (and all other Sega System 1 games), 1942 and most likely lots of others!
The Sega System 1 games are now very much playable running fullspeed but with frameskip.

Fixed bugs in the sound code. I'm using my own custom built sound engine for maximum efficiency but it had a horrible bug which means that the sound was nasty in some cases. It's now very much cleaner.

Double buffer video for both frontend rom selector and games. Double buffering for games switches off dirty video handling so some games will be slowed down (usually those which feature non-scrolling screens). Double buffering reduces screen tearing for scrolling games.

Fixed various bugs. A couple nasty ones that seemed to effect the A320 build of MAME4ALL and doesn't seem to bother the GP32/GP2X/Wiz versions at all. Must be the difference between newlibc and uClibc?

Short of a few tweaks that I will leave for the final v1.2 version, I think I am approaching a fairly mature MAME emulator for the GP32.

It's just a pity that interest in the GP32 is all but gone. :-/

Back