Mame4all Gp32 Eta

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
MAME4ALL is (primarily) a handheld version of MAME.
MAME is the Multi Arcade Machine Emulator which emulates old arcade/coin-op games.

This version of MAME4ALL is for the GP32 handheld and is still a BETA version - some things will change for the final release.

Downloads via the homepage or directly from here.

Please read the supported.txt included in the download for a list of games that this version supports. The GP32 version does not and will not support all games that that GP2X does.

I've worked pretty long and hard on this project - starting many months ago. Getting the sound right and splitting the games was quite time consuming. As it stands MAME4ALL GP32 beta is fairly feature packed and includes most things that you would expect from a capable emulator.

There is no documentation yet nor source code but I will release both of these soon with version 1.0.
For now see the homepage for details.

Special thanks to Franxis as this version for the GP32 is based on his excellent version for the GP2X.

Congratulations, i really didn't think it would run correctly on the GP32 !.

PD: I will release an updated GP2X version next week with your M68010 changes (sorry for being so late).

Cheers. :D

slaanesh said:
MAME4ALL is (primarily) a handheld version of MAME.
MAME is the Multi Arcade Machine Emulator which emulates old arcade/coin-op games.

This version of MAME4ALL is for the GP32 handheld and is still a BETA version - some things will change for the final release.

Downloads via the homepage or directly from here.

Please read the supported.txt included in the download for a list of games that this version supports. The GP32 version does not and will not support all games that that GP2X does.

I've worked pretty long and hard on this project - starting many months ago. Getting the sound right and splitting the games was quite time consuming. As it stands MAME4ALL GP32 beta is fairly feature packed and includes most things that you would expect from a capable emulator.

There is no documentation yet nor source code but I will release both of these soon with version 1.0.
For now see the homepage for details.

Special thanks to Franxis as this version for the GP32 is based on his excellent version for the GP2X.

Thanks so much for the update. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it's great to get some new software for my beloved gp32. For games that work on the gp32, I prefer to use the gp32 over the gp2x because of the longer battery life and better joystick and in proper lighting, better screen. I wish I would have got the frontlit version of it back when I bought it (actually my girl bought it for me for xmas in 03)

Hopefully a few other people can do a gp32 release? Like Temper is coming, maybe we can get a little momentum? I know it's wishful thinking, but I can hope:)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Please excuse my ignorance, but how does Mame4all differ from Franxis' original Mame on the GP32? Is it faster or does it support more games?

I 'm still chuffed that the GP32 is getting releases - I thought my SMC card had died on holiday, but it seems to be fine again. I actually play the GP32 more than the GP2X at the moment...

BTW - this is supposed to read MAME4ALL Beta, not ETA.

Compared to the original MAME for the GP32, MAME4ALL is more accurate and supports more games.
Technically it has greatly improved timing and sound support, which is 16-bit instead of 8-bit.
It also has the original MAME settings menu which gives you completely re-definable controls.
Sample support is fully integrated so just like the GP2X version you can use .wav samples instead of .sam.
This new version also supports 8-bit and 16-bit color graphics modes - though this is purely academic and virtually all games work fine (and faster) in the 8-bit modes. This was implemented more as completeness than anything else.
This version also has an auto rotation mode - it will pick the best orientation for you - so be prepared to hold your GP32 TATED :) You can over-ride this of course.
The main reason I wanted to do this was so that I could learn about MAME and the GP32 which I've done. This release is just two years too late as the GP32 scene is a little slow now :lol:

Franxis said:
Congratulations, i really didn't think it would run correctly on the GP32 !.

PD: I will release an updated GP2X version next week with your M68010 changes (sorry for being so late).

Cheers. :D
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with this.

Actually speaking of the GP2X version, I've probably left some DISCRETE sound stuff in this GP32 release. If you play Asteroids on this GP32 version and it's dead slow - I'll have to change that back.

However, shall I add DISCRETE sound to GP2X? It may be okay for some games like "Fire Truck".

slaanesh said:
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with this.

Actually speaking of the GP2X version, I've probably left some DISCRETE sound stuff in this GP32 release. If you play Asteroids on this GP32 version and it's dead slow - I'll have to change that back.

However, shall I add DISCRETE sound to GP2X? It may be okay for some games like "Fire Truck".
I don't know what to do with the discrete sound because you say it is very slow. I don't know if it will make any difference in the sound quality taking into account the console small speakers and the low sound mixing frequency (15 KHz by default). Maybe you can add discrete sound support and make it selectable with a #define in the compilation phase... Then we can experiment with it and try to make it faster.

Optimus said:
Wow! I hope this really proves to be faster since the last GP32 MAME wasn't even playable here (too slow, sound breaking). I will try soon..
Whilst most of the MAME engine is faster, it seems that FM sound is slower. Unfortunately many games use FM sound. Sticking with games that use simple sound chips lie. SN76496 or AY-8910 is best. I know this isn't really any consolation.
The other option is turn sound off - but I don't like doing this as games aren't as much fun without the original sounds!

EDIT: The chips I mention have widespread use though of course not everyone is going to know what uses these chips. So here's a list:

AY-8910

Franxis said:
Maybe you can add discrete sound support and make it selectable with a #define in the compilation phase...

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll add it in as a #define compile option as I think it will be useful for some up and coming consoles such as the Wiz and Pandora. :)

slaanesh said:
This release is just two years too late as the GP32 scene is a little slow now :lol:
You're telling me! I just bought one off e-bay. Logged onto the forum here and.... you can see tumbleweed blowing down the street.

Thanks ever so much for releasing this. I got the GP32 mainly for MAME so it's really appreciated that you are continuing to work on it.

Never owned a GP32 or even intend to get one, but I really think it is great that slaanesh still cares enough to develop for it. Don't know why, but it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling ;)

One of the main changes I want to make to v1.0 is changing the buttons around a bit.
I wanted to use the shoulder buttons as a "shift key" to change the function of other controls.
The sacrifice is that they wouldn't be usable by themselves.
However the advantage is that it allows for many more controls, especially for "other functions"

ie.

Current Defaults:
R Shoulder = Insert Credit
L Shoulder = Start Game
SELECT+START = MAME Menu
L Shoulder + R Shoulder + SELECT + START = Exit

Proposed Defaults:
L Shoulder + A = Insert Credit
L Shoulder + B = Start Game
L Shoulder + SELECT = MAME Menu
L Shoulder + START = OSD Menu
R Shoulder + A = Pause
R Shoulder + B = Show FPS
R Shoulder + SELECT = User Definable
R Shoulder + START = User Definable
L Shoulder + R Shoulder + SELECT + START = Exit

I'd like to ask the users what they think. This would suit me but I'd like some input from you guys.

I'll also add some new games that didn't make it into the BETA plus I'd like to try and replace the 'C' Z80 CPU code with a faster 'C' based Z80 engine for games that don't work with DrZ80.

so happy to see a release, at last!
I used to cruise on GP32x several times a day.. now it is a lucky thing if i pop my head in here once a month, as I've never upgraded beyond my GP32 FLU. Obviously there's still reason to do so!

I can't wait to check out your work, if you have a paypal address in there I'll float you some bucks too. Have a great weekend - and thanks for not forgetting about us GP32 devotees who still enjoy that scene!

It's my pleasure to still support the GP32. There's still as least one (actually two) more piece(s) of software I want to do for the GP32, so I hope I get a chance to do it (them).

One of these is emulator related the other is a port of an existing game.

Back