Mame Gp2x 3.9

Laser said:
Loving this new version, but I have question:

The sounds in Asteroids seem a bit "rough", particularly the engine noise. Sounds like a looping sample has a slight glitch in it. Anyone else notice this?
Try increasing your clock speed or Audio Clock speed. This happens with me in certain games too if the clock speed isn't high enough. I notice games that need samples do require a faster speed (Asteroids being one of them) or you will get some minor crackling sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robotube said:
Try increasing your clock speed or Audio Clock speed.

Hm, thought I'd tried that already, though it's possible it's lost the settings after a re-install. Good call though, I'll try it later.

slaanesh said:
Ah yes, starTREK.zip... not starwars.zip...

Thanks TelcoLou!

Yes, there is some glitchy-ness with sample play, I'd like to look into this.
No prob ... I was also going to upload it on the file archive, but it's telling me:

Error: Licence not specified.

... even though there's no option to choose a fucking license!!! :angry:

... which is realllllly pissing me off, as I'm suffering at work in 85° air ...

While we are talking about samples, can someone explain why star trek has .sam files, but my other samples don't? I got my samples from the GP32X file archive (search 'mame0.34').

So, to make it clear, the sample file should be the same name as the parent ROM.

ie.

ROM = roms/startrek.zip
SAMPLE = samples/startrek.zip

All sample files need to be in .SAM format. If you look in the sample ZIP file, there should be a number of files ending in .SAM.
If they end in anything else, especially .WAV then they are the wrong format and will not function.

Some sample ZIP files are incomplete. Some are missing entirely. Some are not even necessary.

On my to do list is to compile a definitive samples pack to be used my GP2X MAME.

TelcoLou said:
slaanesh said:

Thanks TelcoLou!

No prob ... I was also going to upload it on the file archive, but it's telling me:

Read this...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=36916

slaanesh said:
On my to do list is to compile a definitive samples pack to be used my GP2X MAME.

Thank you very much, that will be great.

slaanesh said:
Awesome :)

Yorper said:
TelcoLou said:
slaanesh said:

Thanks TelcoLou!

Read this...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=36916

Hey, thanks :)

... but now it tells me:

"Error: Password is incorrect."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TelcoLou said:
Hey, thanks :)

... but now it tells me:

"Error: Password is incorrect."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, well i've got no clue about that. Try setting the archives to remember your login and password, see how that goes for you?

Good News Everybody!

I've got good sound happening for some Konami games using the VLM5030 audio chip:
(No samples required for any of these.)

Yie Ar Kung Fu (all the nice sound effects are there)
Jail Break (speech fully working, makes the game alot more interesting)
Track & Field (speech fully working)
Super Basketball (speech fully working)
Hypersports (speech fully working "On your marks... get set... ")
Salamander (speech fully working... "Destroy them all!")

Still to do:
Punch Out

I've also found and corrected the previous sound bug in a much more robust manner.

As for Power Spikes 2 losing sound, it's odd as it's symptoms are quite different. Other Neo Geo games don't exhibit this problem as far as I can see.
It loses sound whilst the game is running, which indicates a different kind of problem.

I've had a quick look at samples for Donkey Kong and DK Jr. No progress there, yet.
Will also look at Wizard of Wor.

Thank you very much Slaanesh :)
Hypersports is one of my favourite games of all times :)

Has anyone found a way to start Choplifter. Every time you press the select button to gain credits, the game restarts.

Wizard of wor sound isn't that bad.

Just wanted to renew my request for Hat Trick to be added to a future release if possible and to thank the devs for the work they have already done.

Hat Trick

-pughead

claus said:
Has anyone found a way to start Choplifter. Every time you press the select button to gain credits, the game restarts.

Wizard of wor sound isn't that bad.
You must use Choplifter (bootleg) or Choplifter (alternative). The main version doesn't work due to unemulated protection.

1) This is a fantastic release. I've not upgraded for a while, and this is blowing me away. Donkey Kong with clean sound!

2) Ok, I realise I may be the last surviving gamer who actually likes, nay loves Journey... but it keeps rebooting. For sure it'll be waaaaaay down the list of priorities, but it sure would be nice to play this on the GP2X.

Could this issue be to do with the cassette player that was inside the arcade cabinet? If so, is there a work around to turn that bit off?

Anyway, great great work on this release. :)

Back