Mame Gp2x 1.6

Anyone know why this new MAME will not let you clock less than 200mhz?

Just curious. I would think there are a small handful of games that do not need a full 200mhz.

Unfortunately, No TV-Support. Actually you can get compressed and stretched images on your TV. I think these can be solved easily by franxis soon. Anyway excellent job! Thanks again!

Is it just me or does Missile Command no longer accept coins?

Drat I was looking forward to trying this once we could save the configuration.

Nevermind. I just delete the hi score file and now it is fine. Weird..

I tinkered with the mame.cfg file to get it to run at 166 mhz but then it wont let you change it in the interface.

I just realized that this particular version musta been before they switched to the highscore.dat file.

MAME GP2X 1.6 is not in the news of gp32x.de yet... EvilDragon is a lazy :p

About the frequencies < 200 MHz i saw that the image flickers... I will try to solve the problem for next version, sorry...

TV-Out is working now in my WIP version, it will be available in next version...

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis posted on Feb 21 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
MAME GP2X 1.6 is not in the news of gp32x.de yet... EvilDragon is a lazy :p

Pity too. This one is a great release.

Nice to know most everything else is accounted for. hint*samples*hint ;)

Shane R. Monroe posted on Feb 22 2006 at 01:52 PM said:
*cough* count me in on samples too *cough*

Hey, gots to play da Star Trek SOS man!

I think getting sound on older MAME games is a lost cause. It seems no one has any interest in doing it. Maybe someday a retro fan and coder could port something someday, hopefully.

If I continue to line Franxis' pockets with PayPal donations, maybe I can convince him ...

I GOTS to have sound on Star Trek!

Shane R. Monroe posted on Feb 22 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
If I continue to line Franxis' pockets with PayPal donations, maybe I can convince him ...

I GOTS to have sound on Star Trek!

Is that kind of like a slot machine where if you pump enough coins in it will eventually pay off?

I wish ya luck....

Again :angry:

Sample support is not in my priority list for MAME, and it won't be... with or without donations...

Let me spend my free time on whatever i want please...

I removed a lot of functionalities during the beginnings of MAME GP32 during december 2004... It is no worth to add sample support again and get it to run... Also it is very hard to get samples from MAME 0.34...

Franxis ... If you need a complete sample set, I'll provide it.

Is this a PERSONAL thing, bro? I mean - it sounds like it, but you've never like come forward and said "I don't think games need sound to be playable, and since I'm doing the work, what I say goes". Its always been some technical thing.

But let me go on record as saying something ... a LOT of people got pissy with MAME and Team MAME when they STOPPED caring about fixing "what didn't work" and kept trying to "add games and clones" (aka Pr0njonng). They took a lot of heat for adding San Francisco Rush 2049 (at a whopping 2fps) when TOP GUNNER still had broken PROMs.

Before anyone lets loose with the flaming about "MAME IS FREE, STOP BITCHING" and "WHAT HAVE YOU EVER DONE TO SUPPORT MAME! SHUT UP" and so on ... Let me say I did a LOT for MAME in the early days (before The Empire) including providing documentation for dip switches and assets (I provided the first sample set for Mario Bros). It breaks my heart to see what happened to MAME - and it kinda breaks my heart to see MAME GP2x already moving "forward" without addressing "current issues". It rend a great community apart - and I just don't want to see the same sort of thing happen here.

I won't bring it up again ... but I DID note that Franxis changed his mind about the VOL button being a fire button - and he was VIOLENTLY opposed to that ... never hurts to bring this up from time to time; maybe samples won't be out of line either ...

Anyway, enough babbling. I have Mr. Do and Robotron - I should be grateful.

Shane R. Monroe posted on Feb 23 2006 at 04:53 AM said:
Is this a PERSONAL thing, bro? I mean - it sounds like it, but you've never like come forward and said "I don't think games need sound to be playable, and since I'm doing the work, what I say goes". Its always been some technical thing.

It doesn't sound that way at all. Franxis is simply doing what he want's to do... If he is not motivated to add sample support then there is no point forcing the issue. Otherwise he could easily lose motivation and drop the whole project. Sure sampled sound support would be great but if you guys really want it that much maybe you should pick up the source and give it a go.

Shane R. Monroe posted on Feb 23 2006 at 04:53 AM said:
Franxis ... If you need a complete sample set, I'll provide it.

Is this a PERSONAL thing, bro?  I mean - it sounds like it, but you've never like come forward and said "I don't think games need sound to be playable, and since I'm doing the work, what I say goes".  Its always been some technical thing.

But let me go on record as saying something ... a LOT of people got pissy with MAME and Team MAME when they STOPPED caring about fixing "what didn't work" and kept trying to "add games and clones" (aka Pr0njonng).  They took a lot of heat for adding San Francisco Rush 2049 (at a whopping 2fps) when TOP GUNNER still had broken PROMs.

Anyway, enough babbling.  I have Mr. Do and Robotron - I should be grateful.

The thing is samples are way too slow to work in MAME on the GP2X. It has been tried and it just isn't possible at a good speed. So in that case I can see why Franxis doesn't want to add samples as it wouldn't work very good on the GP2X anyway. What is the use of doing all of that work adding samples when it will run at FS7? Fuck samples then.

BUT if drivers were added from .36 (I think) alot of those games that had no sound have it emulated in that version. I know that some games in the current GP2X MAME have drivers from newer versions, so maybe the same can be done with Phoenix, Zaxxon etc? Alot of work I guess. Maybe someday hopefully something can be done when Franxis does all of the other stuff he wants to do with MAME. The source is available so maybe someone that wants sound like us, and can code unlike us, can add it. I am hopeful of someday.

MAME IS a pain in the ass to work with. Many of coders, good coders, have looked at the MAME source and ran away because of it's complexity. We are lucky it runs as good as it does because of Franxis' good work.

OK so we can kiss sound sample support goodbye? :(

Alright thanks for the info.

Well there is always my tapwave which seems to handle samples just fine.
Hey shane couldya help me out with getting the correct samples?

Moves along.

Greenchili posted on Feb 23 2006 at 06:10 AM said:
OK so we can kiss sound sample support goodbye? :(

Alright thanks for the info.

Well there is always my tapwave which seems to handle samples just fine.
Hey shane couldya help me out with getting the correct samples?

Moves along.

If the Zodiac can do samples why can't the GP2X? I thought they were about the same as far as power and speed?

Back