Beta Mame 106

I'm afraid I don't know how to answer that. I find the MAME way of organising ROM-sets to be a bit weird... :lol:

Prometheus said:
I'm afraid I don't know how to answer that. I find the MAME way of organising ROM-sets to be a bit weird... :lol:
Weird?

That is one way to put it. If I posted my true feelings about it though the string of expletives and harsh rantings would probably get me banned..

Last edited by a moderator:
This MAME is a bit of a pig to get it running a game. Ive only got a handful of games to run: usually the problem is that the romset is wrong or the scaling option is the culprit. Usually the last few lines in the "linux gibberish" is informative.

OK, I thought I would knock-up a little guide to help people who are having any rom issues with mame. This guide will show you how to use Romcenter to audit you roms and get them working in mame.106 for the Pandora.

I will try and make this as easy to follow as possible. (this may look like a lot to take in, but trust me it is really simple. If it's not, then it's down to my poor guide and not Romcenter, or you!)

Step 1: Download and install a program called 'Romcenter'
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ca101qnwy7cj578/rc351.exe

Step 2: Download a dat file that corresponds with the mame version you want to use your roms with. In our case mame 0.106 http://romshepherd.com/oldmame/

Step 3: Make a folder on your desktop. You can call it whatever you want. I named mine 'fixrom' (this is where all your rom files will go to be fixed, you can put them there now or later)

Step 4: Launch Romcenter - and begin by going to 'file/new' it will open a window like this>

2-5.png

Click on 'Load games list from a data file'

Navigate to where you saved your dat file, in my case Desktop.

Select the dat file

dat1.jpg

A window will popup like this one

5-2.png

Click on 'Create the game database'

Another window will pop up and ask to save a file, click save. (this will save the data file we want to your romcenter/datas directory)

Now it will start to build a data base of game roms. This will take a few minutes so be patient.

Once that has finished go to - file and click on 'Add rom path'

12.png

Now navigate to the 'fixrom' folder we made earlier, or whatever you named it. If you already put all your roms in there, great. If not put them there now. (note that this will permanently edit all of your roms, so make a backup copy of them if you need to)

Once it has finished you will get something that looks like this.

last.png

Green indicates the rom is good and will work with the version of mame we are doing this for.

Red indicates the rom is incomplete, has files missing.

Yellow indicates the files inside the rom need their names changing for them to work.

Grey indicates the files are not recognized by the mame dat version we are using.

For the quickest solution: Right click on the folder path and select 'fix game' This will now go through and rename/edit all your roms.

(Depending on how many roms you have, this could take seconds, minutes or even up to an hour if you were doing a full 20GB set!)

10.png

Make sure you have selected the rom path and not an individual game, other wise it will just fix that one game and not all of them.

Once it's finished you should end up with something like this:

11.png

This may not fix all your roms, but it should do the majority of them. I used this method to get my 0.130u2 mame set working with the current .106 build for the pandora.

There are advanced options to fix broken roms and generally cleanup your roms sets. This can all be found under the advanced tab. :)

edit: Just to simplify the above^ Download Romcenter, download dat file, navigate to dat file, navigate to roms folder, press 'fix roms'

Sarlix post this guide on the wiki http://pandorawiki.org/MAME

Yod4z said:
Sarlix post this guide on the wiki http://pandorawiki.org/MAME

Hmmm I could do. I'm generally not very good at explaining things, so I don't know how successfully anyone will be able to follow my guide. Also don't you need special privileges to edit the pandora wiki?

dgame said:
You can also get old MAME dat files including version 106 from HERE.

Wow look at that gold mine! The reason I suggested using an actual build rather than a dat file was because I thought they were easier to find. I've always had trouble finding dat files in the past. I will have to re-edit the guide! Thanks for the link!

Alerino said:
any pandora/linux based workaround?

It looks like you can use clrmamepro through WINE. http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/download.htm

And maybe Romcenter can be used through WINE too?

Cpasjuste are you still working on mame .106 for pandora? im not sure if you have a pandora yet. man mame .106 fully optimized for pandora...(tear in eye). it would be cool to have it working as well as possible if you can please.

Did SteveM make this port, or just package it?

cpasjuste definately has a pandora, he's one of the extended dev team :)

jeff

jonlad1 said:
SteveM for president!

So many dev's takin one (or many) for the team ;)
+1

If anyone out there has the Access-Roms 15Gb .106, please reseed. (Don't see anything wrong with this request since it isn't a link to anything, Mods if it is verboten, please remove this line)

Thanks in advance,

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: I'm all good now, was hung at 14.7Gb for a week and last night 3 or 4 seeders came out to help!

Sorry for the double post, but I just noticed with SDL MAME that the sound is much more in sync with Hotfix 4 Beta 1. Am I the only one to notice this? I was overclocked at 760mHz playing Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. Tried to break Billy Mitchell's new records on the Pandora. Any pros here? I'm just kidding, I'm not that good.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I finally tried this and it is very nice. The CPS2 support is sweet.

@SteveM Could you adapt your Mame4All front end to work with this 106 version?

Thanks!!!

It would be awesome if this could get a similar GUI to Mame4All. It's hard to know what game's what from the 8.3 filenames used by Mame. At the very least, an interface showing the full names and also easy to access display settings would be awesome.

^ If my memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure that it's just a straight recompile and packaging of MAME 0.106.

Back