Majora's Mask!

I really enjoyed OoT, but Majora's Mask was my favorite Zelda game on the N64! When I had played it when I was younger (~14 years old), I had really enjoyed the play on time and the collecting of masks. Does anyone else feel this way? I feel the game is often overlooked because of the significance of OoT.

I had been reading about OoT 3D and it has inspired me to dust of my N64 to play this classic again.

You do realize that most of the significance of OoT comes from the fact that it was the first time Link went into full 3D gameplay mode (just like SM64 was the best Mario game ever created).

MM was a direct sequel to OoT and only improved in overall polish (graphics). IMO, both OoT and MM had gameplay and story-lines that were unparalleled and was obviously the work of the genius, Miyamoto.

You do realize that most of the significance of OoT comes from the fact that it was the first time Link went into full 3D gameplay mode (just like SM64 was the best Mario game ever created).

MM was a direct sequel to OoT and only improved in overall polish (graphics). IMO, both OoT and MM had gameplay and story-lines that were unparalleled and was obviously the work of the genius, Miyamoto.
Yes, I do realize where the significance came from... but thanks very much for pointing that out? And calling SM64 the "best Mario game ever created" is highly opinionated, as that is not my favorite Mario game and probably many others will agree. Going 3D does not make a game the "best ever", even A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game still. OoT is often the most talked about game on the N64 where I'm from, while MM is overlooked somewhat, so I wanted to bring it up...

a lot of people got very comfortable with the exploring in zelda games, once you add a constant timer to it, some people will get turned off by it

I love OoT. I've beaten it many times. But I started MM and got bored... Didn't get very far in it at all. Might just have to do with the fact that I'm older now though.

MM is probably my least favourite Zelda game. The time mechanic with everything resetting all the time just wasn't enjoyable for me.

Going 3D does not make a game the "best ever"

Absolutely not - there may be other 3D games out there that are better. However, I can assure you that re-making a 2D game in 3D will make the game much, much better. It works very well indeed for movies, and that goes double for video games. Hence, as our friendly mod Sony points out, SM64 is far better than the 2D versions that preceded it. If you feel otherwise then that's ok, but it does need to be pointed out (in the nicest possible way) how wrong you are - lest soe of our younger readers get the wrong idea.

D.

Absolutely not - there may be other 3D games out there that are better. However, I can assure you that re-making a 2D game in 3D will make the game much, much better. It works very well indeed for movies, and that goes double for video games. Hence, as our friendly mod Sony points out, SM64 is far better than the 2D versions that preceded it. If you feel otherwise then that's ok, but it does need to be pointed out (in the nicest possible way) how wrong you are - lest soe of our younger readers get the wrong idea.

D.

wait really? films in 3d are just poor, games going from 2d to 3d can be good, all depends on the game, games going to '3d' in the 3d display sense, oh god why XD

obviously the work of the genius, Miyamoto.

On your subject of things being overlooked, - Poor Eiji :(
Lol, sorry.

I want to say the below people are awesome too.

Director(s): Shigeru Miyamoto

Yoichi Yamada

Eiji Aonuma

Yoshiaki Koizumi

Producer(s): Shigeru Miyamoto

Artist(s): Yusuke Nakano

Writer(s): Toru Osawa

Shigeru Miyamoto

Yoshiaki Koizumi

Composer(s): Koji Kondo

250px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png

@ some people

Sorry, I just want to clarify when I said "3D" I meant "3D environment", as in move around in a 3D world, as opposed to a 2D plane.

I would like to chime in with the chorus of people who like MM better. I think it was a brilliant idea, and one that I personally enjoyed, trying to time things out and plan my moves so that I could catch things happening in the act. To me it added an element of intrigue and made some of the quests way fun. I don't remember what the Inn is called in clock town but it was fun trying to figure out what to do and when to get the masks.

I think it takes some explaining and hand holding from an experienced player to really bring a new fish into the fold but I think once you're in you're set. OoT great game but if i was on an island with only one It would have to be MM. If for no other reason then to roll around as the Goron all day!

I can assure you that re-making a 2D game in 3D will make the game much, much better. It works very well indeed for movies, and that goes double for video games. Hence, as our friendly mod Sony points out, SM64 is far better than the 2D versions that preceded it.
Lol, that's fine if that is what you think. I can assure you, though, that you are neither right or wrong. Some people think that a game is better than another because the graphics are more realistic/polished/etc., some disagree. Some people think that a game is better than another because the story is longer/user-driven/etc., some disagree. Etc. It's all opinion when it comes to "better" or "best" games, and that is dependent on the individual and all aspects of the subject game.

So... Does MM run acceptably with the latest release of Mupen?

I had avoided tracking down this game due to reading somewhere (months ago) that it was as yet unplayable.

??? :mellow:

I have to admit, I'm still not all that thrilled with N64 on the Pandora... If not for the exclusive titles, I would happily stick with and sink more money into the procurement of PS1 games... ReARMed rocks! B)

Latest release of Mupen *is* faster tho... there is hope...

So... Does MM run acceptably with the latest release of Mupen?

I had avoided tracking down this game due to reading somewhere (months ago) that it was as yet unplayable.

??? :mellow:

I have to admit, I'm still not all that thrilled with N64 on the Pandora... If not for the exclusive titles, I would happily stick with and sink more money into the procurement of PS1 games... ReARMed rocks! B)

Latest release of Mupen *is* faster tho... there is hope...
I suppose i should've stated this earlier. The game doesn't run well on the latest release of mupen from why I can tell - some surfaces don't seem to render once you enter Clock Town making the game pretty unplayable early on, and I had it crash on me before I quit. This was at 800MHz. That's why I got the old N64 out.

I have to agree with you about N64 emulation on the Pandora. Although it is impressive in it's current state, mupen needs a bit more work for me to enjoy my full N64 collection. That is alright with me, though. I never expected the Pandora to handle N64 emulation perfectly, and my expectations for PS1 emulation were greatly exceeded!

EDIT: Ah! Just noticed that there is a VERY new version of mupen, so I'll have to test again :) hopefully tonight or tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
I can assure you that re-making a 2D game in 3D will make the game much, much better. It works very well indeed for movies, and that goes double for video games. Hence, as our friendly mod Sony points out, SM64 is far better than the 2D versions that preceded it.
Lol, that's fine if that is what you think. I can assure you, though, that you are neither right or wrong. Some people think that a game is better than another because the graphics are more realistic/polished/etc., some disagree. Some people think that a game is better than another because the story is longer/user-driven/etc., some disagree. Etc. It's all opinion when it comes to "better" or "best" games, and that is dependent on the individual and all aspects of the subject game.

Hmm...

All things considered (and I do realise that you've really thought about this), I'll have to accept that I'm right in this instance - nothing else makes sense, it really doesn't. Aren't we told time and again by movie people and games producers that 3D is better?

Yes, I really do think I'm correct. Sorry, you really did try and I do appreciate that.

D.

Mega-Man had the worst transaction from 2D into a 3D environment. thats all i have to say about this

Aren't we told time and again by movie people and games producers that 3D is better?
You know what, they do say that! Unless, of course, they make a 2D game, then they say that is the better one... make up your minds, movie people and game producers!

Hmm...

All things considered (and I do realise that you've really thought about this), I'll have to accept that I'm right in this instance - nothing else makes sense, it really doesn't. Aren't we told time and again by movie people and games producers that 3D is better?

Yes, I really do think I'm correct. Sorry, you really did try and I do appreciate that.

D.

I'm trying to decide if you are joking or not... I don't think I have heard a more self important group of posts in my life, if you aren't joking.

Opinions are opinions feel free to have them, but there is no reason to make a post asserting that your opinion is fact.

2d games are fun, 3d games are fun. I prefer user driven story games myself, which tend to be 2d. Some people like to have a story read to them, which tends to be more common in 3d games. It's all preference.

Back