Good times

how did I know that someone would come up with this :)

this is the power of nostalgia!!!

:)

This is exactly the point - you cannot say that any particular era of computing or gaming was better than another, because your opinion is coloured by what affected you whilst young :)

because you grew up with the 8bit computers like c64 you remember them more fondly than the 16bit counterparts..

as I grew up in the nes and snes era I remember them more fondly than the 8bit computers like c64 and what came later like PSone, but I did have an amiga 1200 and I loved that too :p

also to be fair there were plenty of GREAT super nes games. and plenty of great nes games, it wasnt all about the graphics although they did start to become more important.

I've no doubt, and I'm finding quite a lot of fun on the newer consoles with my Panda, but they'll never beat JSW/MM or Cybernoid for excellence. My A1200 was absolutely hammered into the ground, though I do admit that I rarely played games on it - I was about 18 when I got that machine, so had grown out of games by that point.

What I like about the older 8bit games is the level of Story-telling that went into the game .. I'd often play a game just for the wacky stuff that the authors would put in to make up for the fact that they only had a few very limited resources to work with. The first time I saw JetSet Willy getting stomped with that foot I laughed my ass off - can't think of any modern examples of such tweak.

+1

D.

how did I know that someone would come up with this :)

this is the power of nostalgia!!!

:)

This is exactly the point - you cannot say that any particular era of computing or gaming was better than another, because your opinion is coloured by what affected you whilst young :)

Agreed

I was 14 when I got my Amiga :p only used for games.

I've started a collection a of oldies but goodies games 3 years ago. Now i got my nes,snes,n64 and ps1 to play awesomes games on them. No matter how much money Ive spent on them, Its worth it. That's whats nice wih the pandora : never forget what was real gaming before modern consoles. Bring your nostalgoa wherever you go, Play whenever you want...

Life's good

Ahhh, well do I remember the excitement when my brother bought himself a ZX Spectrum 16K :) I can still remember sitting there as he opened it - my initial reaction being "OK there's the keyboard -w here's the rest of it?". Up till that point I had only ever seen computers in SciFi movies :) I was expecting spinning tape reels and banks of flashing lights....

Hey, it was 1982. Now I feel old :D

I know a lot of it is nostalgia, but I do think it was genuinely more exciting then. Computers were simple enough that it was possible to learn everything about how it worked reasonably quickly. To be able to own your own computer at home was still something new and unthinkable even 10 years before. I still have all my Spectrum books - I even caught myself reading "The Complete Spectrum ROM disassembly" a few weeks ago out of sheer nostalgia.

Now I'm off to see if I can find my old copies of "Your Spectrum" :D

I think there is an argument to be made for 8-bit computing nostalgia being somehow unique. There was - too expensive for many Atari VCS aside - almost no reference point. Everything was new. Unlike now, the micro owner was a rare beast in school initially. Many kids couldn't cope with typing commands to load games and opted for something else at Christmas.

Computer clubs thrived, basically a monthly gathering of frantic piracy.

When I got my ZX81 I couldn't afford a 16k Ram Pack, but there were plenty of 1k games, I got great mileage out of 1k Invaders - everything was an ascii character, there was no score and the program ended if the invaders reached the bottom. Bliss.

Oh my god, i still remember my Genesis. My Genesis at the time was really weird, only about three years ago i found that it's looks like SNES. Well anyway, i still remember my first game EVAH, it was street fighter 2, i still remember that as it was only yesterday: I sat on really old chair, first time throwing hadouken, then my granda came in and saw how i was betting a shit out Blanka, he said: What the hell is that? Hm... i imagine what he would say if will see Earthworm Jim with some slime on back. Unfortunately i skipped all generations of consoles, i think until 2004 year, then i get the computer. I even didn't know how much consoles there was, i always dreamed only about dreamcast (funny, dreamed about dreamcast), because i saw it on stores and red a lot about it in magazines. But i had a lot of time to beat many Genesis games, i beat: Shinobi 3; Sonic; Vectorman; Tiny Toons; Earthworm Jim 1-2; B.O.B.; X-men 2; TMNT: Hypersto... Genesis one; also i had really weird version of sonic, there was sonic and he was connected with Tales by some chain, i so hated this game, i burned it; also sonic pinball; Boogerman; The game about Taz the Tazmanian devil; Roc'n'roll racing; Alien Storm; Golden axe; Spiderman Vs. Kingpin; and i think that's all games i beat. I had much more games, but i didn't beat because it was something like Alien soldier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I play it all. Apple II, C64, Amiga, PC, NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, PSX, Gamecube, etc.

As i was young i only had a C64 and much later a SNES. For the SNES only 3 games. Problem was i didnt had much money as a kid and my mother dont bought me anything computer or console releated. She didnt liked that stuff and said it would make me stupid to play this games.

Today i have the money to buy all the games i want. Only problem is i dont have the time to play them all.

But it's not true that all games of today are bad.

If you want new games with substance over graphics you should search them on the PC. There are still all kinds of awesome games. It's a free platform without licencing so there are a lot of small dev teams that still release games with spirit.

One of that games is Kings Bounty. It's actualy a remake of the old Kings Bounty for Amiga and Mega Drive but with heavily improved gameplay.

Also alot of folk in the forums don't even see nes or snes as nostalgic because they are over likely to be 40+ years old and they had most likely already grown up on earlier consoles like Atari, commodore 64 etc
Technically Commodore 64 is just one year older than NES.

Back