Good times

JeFF

Today, when I play a video game on your brand new xbox 360, I feel like I just wasted my money. Those games arn't good, they arent't time wasters.

Those are just game made to earn a lot of money.

I'm not that old : 17. But I do remember when I was a kid playing super mario bros 3, or mega man 2, or blades of steel on a NES, wasting 5 hours a day trying to beat undefeateables levels. Then I grew up, and started playing at the SUPERnes, in super mario world, or donkey kong, or . Trying to find all the stars and the damn water level beyond the bridge after the cave. OH god, I liked those ''no school'' day. Then I grew up more, and started to play N64 and PS1. Ohhhh man. I just wished I would have those consoles a day. When I was going at friends houses, I would play golden eye, Super smash bros(I F****ING love this damn game :) ) or mario 64, or OOT.

Those young days were my best days. Hopefully, I can noy enjoy those games with these consoles in my room. Don't care if I bought a link to the past 25$, I know my money was not throw'n in the garbage.

Remember those ''Good times'' ?

I just paid £75 for a mint condition of zelda a link to the past (boxed complete) :)

good times indeed!

Hi-five for teenaged retro-gaming! Again for jadedness of modern games! And a third for the Pandora!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Blue you are too young for the nostalgia factor of nes and snes but not too young to appreciate the fine wine of video games which I like :)

I feel lucky to have grown up with these consoles when they were released.

That's not to say I don't like any of the modern games, because there are many good modern games.

Also alot of folk in the forums don't even see nes or snes as nostalgic because they are over likely to be 40+ years old and they had most likely already grown up on earlier consoles like Atari, commodore 64 etc

even I had a c64 when I was 5 :) imagine that, I'm only 27 I think c64 was past its time when I had one though, it was still cool!!! typing load into the blue screen and pressing play!! but ill always be true to my NES, SNES and N64 I grew up on those consoles!

remember when playing with sticks was considered fun? ahh the good times....my point is, everythings better when youre 4

@Blue you are too young for the nostalgia factor of nes and snes but not too young to appreciate the fine wine of video games which I like :)

I feel lucky to have grown up with these consoles when they were released.

That's not to say I don't like any of the modern games, because there are many good modern games.

Also alot of folk in the forums don't even see nes or snes as nostalgic because they are over likely to be 40+ years old and they had most likely already grown up on earlier consoles like Atari, commodore 64 etc

even I had a c64 when I was 5 :) imagine that, I'm only 27 I think c64 was past its time when I had one though, it was still cool!!! typing load into the blue screen and pressing play!! but ill always be true to my NES, SNES and N64 I grew up on those consoles!

I'm not without my share of nostalgia. Hell, I'm creating it right now. People look back on their teenaged years, you know. But as for now, I look fondly at the Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Advance, and earlier DS games. And some Game Boy Color, too. Shame that less than half of my childhood runs on the Pandora, though.

Nostalgia... Im not that old but I did enjoy those oldies / goldies you guys talk about...

Mostly in the form of hand me downs by my brother.

He is a fair bunch older than me, like 15 years older.

So yeah... I was handed down his consoles, bit by bit... enjoying those games with a 15 year lag.

Overall I share the oppinion of this thread. :D

Remember those ''Good times'' ?
Remember them? I'm still living them.

Because, one day, most companies stopped producing games that I wanted to buy, I've often got plenty of my gaming budget to put towards stuff that I missed the first time around. :p I'm very grateful to have the game collection that I have.

I bet you that day's not far off. I'd be surprised if it came after I finished college.

What day, BP?

EDIT: Ohh, that day I mentioned, but for you. I see.

I think I just got paradox-ninja'd. I was about to post, then I saw your edit in the topic preview.

I'm mostly all about the old school, because imho, current gen gaming is poor.

nintendo_64_logo_animated_gif_by_artchell-d36trcf.gif

2443718_o.gif

I'm in the same boat as blue & JeFF, I grew up on my PS1 & Gameboy Colour, before moving onto the GC & GBA, some of my earliest memories were fiddling with my mums old 2600. Only now am I catching up on the games I missed (NES, SNES, N64, all the various Ataris and Sega's). And these games are the best I have played since I was around 12 or so.

Ah, yes. I remember all the old systems like nintendo and sega systems. Today's consoles in my opionin lack the quality they used to have. Older sythems were much better I think.

Today, I much rather play modern games on the PC rather than a console. But still so many of the good PC games came out like 10+ years ago like HL, Quake, and CS. I guess I just like older games more. xD

I agree Sony, there's something distinctly missing from the current gen of gaming.

I agree Sony, there's something distinctly missing from the current gen of gaming.

Yeah like gameplay.

Graphics Budget: 80%

Gameplay Budget: 20%

If developers would quit worrying about how graphically appealing their games are, we might actually get something good. I don't see that happening anytime soon though.

I just got a hand-full of NES, SNES, Sega, and a few Intellivision games from the miles long yard-sale weekend. Got an Atari Flashback 2 too but I was hoping it was an ST (I didn't go with them).

I remember when then 16 bits took over. The best gaming to be had was on the 8Bit PCs of the time... The Spectrum and C64 stood out most of all during 1982 to 1985. Then the NES came out, and predictably the muppets who only cared about graphics bought it despite there being only a few decent games. The 16Bit PCs came along (Amiga and Atari ST) which, despite having their fair share of crap graphics-only games were real computers and you could do so much more with them than you could with the rather poor SNES by comparison. Unfortunately with the SNES the "graphics over substance" age had begun and gaming has been going steadily downhill ever since.

I do miss the early 80s, when there was no hope of graphics being chosen over gameplay, but they're gone. I do have some very, very fond memories of the best era in gaming ever, though. Shame the Americans were going through a "slump" at the time - europe (in particular the UK) released literally thousands of games in that period, with a huge amount of them great :)

D.

I remember when then 16 bits took over. The best gaming to be had was on the 8Bit PCs of the time... The Spectrum and C64 stood out most of all during 1982 to 1985. Then the NES came out, and predictably the muppets who only cared about graphics bought it despite there being only a few decent games. The 16Bit PCs came along (Amiga and Atari ST) which, despite having their fair share of crap graphics-only games were real computers and you could do so much more with them than you could with the rather poor SNES by comparison. Unfortunately with the SNES the "graphics over substance" age had begun and gaming has been going steadily downhill ever since.

I do miss the early 80s, when there was no hope of graphics being chosen over gameplay, but they're gone. I do have some very, very fond memories of the best era in gaming ever, though. Shame the Americans were going through a "slump" at the time - europe (in particular the UK) released literally thousands of games in that period, with a huge amount of them great :)

D.

how did I know that someone would come up with this :)

this is the power of nostalgia!!!

because you grew up with the 8bit computers like c64 you remember them more fondly than the 16bit counterparts..

as I grew up in the nes and snes era I remember them more fondly than the 8bit computers like c64 and what came later like PSone, but I did have an amiga 1200 and I loved that too :p

also to be fair there were plenty of GREAT super nes games. and plenty of great nes games, it wasnt all about the graphics although they did start to become more important.

What I like about the older 8bit games is the level of Story-telling that went into the game .. I'd often play a game just for the wacky stuff that the authors would put in to make up for the fact that they only had a few very limited resources to work with. The first time I saw JetSet Willy getting stomped with that foot I laughed my ass off - can't think of any modern examples of such tweak.

Back