Low volume output only on left side

Michoko

Hi!

I'm often using my beloved Pandora with headphones. But if I set the volume too low (the headphones output is really loud), I only ear the sound in the left ear. Then when I increase the volume, I finally get sound in both ears. I suppose this is something related to the analogic nature of the volume wheel. So I tried to lower the volume in the mixer, but it seems that many programs and emulators just ignore this setting. Is there a way to change the global volume of the Pandora, and lower the overall sound output? That way I could push the volume wheel up and get rid of this one-side-only effect.

Thank you!

Frédéric

The mixer handle the hardware volume integrated in the chip. No software can work around this (may be they raise it).

Your solution seems to be the best imho

Thanks sebt3. Well that's strange then. For example in UAE4All, using the mixer doesn't seem to have any effect. I wonder why people would change the global volume to full in their code...

I made some further tests, after having used the mixer to set volume to zero. In scummVM, Hatari or Mame4ALL, I get the expected behaviour, i.e. no sound at all. But in other emus like UAE4All, Snes9x4P, PCSX ReARMED or Picodrive, I'm still getting sound. I'm still a linux noob, but isn't the mixer only handling the Alsa "layer" ? Isn't there a way to output sound without using Alsa, explaining this behaviour? Sorry if this is an irrelevant question, just wondering.

Thanks sebt3. Well that's strange then. For example in UAE4All, using the mixer doesn't seem to have any effect. I wonder why people would change the global volume to full in their code...

I made some further tests, after having used the mixer to set volume to zero. In scummVM, Hatari or Mame4ALL, I get the expected behaviour, i.e. no sound at all. But in other emus like UAE4All, Snes9x4P, PCSX ReARMED or Picodrive, I'm still getting sound. I'm still a linux noob, but isn't the mixer only handling the Alsa "layer" ? Isn't there a way to output sound without using Alsa, explaining this behaviour? Sorry if this is an irrelevant question, just wondering.

there's probably a bit of code in the programs sdl initialisation, that sets up sound, and just sets it to maximum, good thing we've got a hardware volume control really

Back