Very low sound in the TV-out

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Hello everybody,

Lately have been using quite a lot the tv out cable but always using the output sound from the jack because had no sound from the ext port (It was a handmade dongle).

But today received the official cable and noticed that sound was always there but I had to up the volume from tv almost to max to hear a bit.

The question is: Is there any way to control the volume of the ext port? On the mixer I only have the control for master output, and it only affects the headphones output.

By the way I'm running firmware 1.55 if this matters.

What happens if you get a 3.5mm-stereo-jack-to-dual-RCA converter cable and play sound on your television via your pandora's headphone socket?

I don't have a television, but doing this with the stereos / amplifiers I've got seems to produce a sensible result.

The audio out from the TV Out port is official line peak - I measured it with my professional peakmeter, and it's pretty accurate.

When I had a home-made TV lead I used my Pandora via my home theatre amp and the volume levels were fine.

Yeah, a home theatre amp uses line peak.

However, a proper TV should as well, and at least my Sony Trinitron is fine, but you never know with modern TVs...

I have a LCD TV I need to blast the volume, an old RCA TV I don't.. so that may be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a LCD TV I need to blast the volume, an old RCA TV I don't.. so that may be true.
Using an amp may be a good idea, then. 

By the way, how does the audio quality from the TV-out plugs compare to the audio quality from the headphones jack? Should it be on the same level, or better on the headphone jack ?

The amp from the headphone jack out is great Mweston knows his stuff.. The line out shouldn't be any better or worse than the headphone jack.. what you hitch it to will make it sound better or worse.

So the problem could be the TV, well I only tried two. An old LCD philips (it even don't have dvb-t built in), and a samsung one year old.

I still have a CRT somewhere I will try with it. Anyhow I have been using the jack output for some time, I can build a mini dongle jack to female RCA and leave it.

I've tried my new TV cable on a few different devices today, and the sound output was absolutely fine on all (louder by default than the TV channels themselves).

If you're playing videos to test, a lot of material has audio that's not been normalized so it may be inherently low, try a game or sound file instead - also check your Pandora's master volume level is at full, and the application (media player, audio player) has it's output level high too.

I've tried it on CRT and Flatscreen displays, there should be no difference in their audio output/input levels but I know at least one I have (a Philips) allows you to tweak the levels for each input, so if you explore your display's options as a last resort you might find it has a settings option for the input level of audio on whatever input you're using.

Back