Looking for a game developer

Hope it's not delaying your other projects too much though :)
I haven't even started the other projects yet, so they aren't delayed. They're are just ideas for now. Each of those games we talked about are longer term prospects than this app and will require more time than I have right now. BTW for those reading and wondering what this is about, I discussed future "Venture" games (successors to AquaVenture) with pmprog recently via PM - I've got 3 distinct games in mind, each very different.

The bulk of this app (PictoCross) is done now; just putting finishing touches to the menus etc. Then it's time to add puzzles. :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z1yC46ja0Q8?feature=oembed

Unfortunately the video is at half speed, but it shows how the game is looking now.

[EDIT] I just did a quick google search for the name PictoCross and actually came up with something very similar to this game. In fact it's nigh-on identical. And there's a reason. In fact that game was also done by me. Five years ago. I can't even remember doing that version at all!) The download link still works! It's very basic and not a patch on the Pandora version :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84522   - last post

Last edited by a moderator:
I've written so many games and apps over the years that I can't remember all of them - especially the quick and easy ones. Once I finish one I move straight onto the next generally - I always have ideas for what's coming next (and afterwards). I just lack the time to do everything I want - and to be honest that is actually a motivator.

I've actually lost an awful lot of stuff too over the years, due to hard-drive, computer and website deaths. More than I care to remember, actually   :(

I'd do the graphics, some background music and would also provide a standard puzzle set (themed).
So have you got some music for the game then ED?

Update -

The main coding is done (just adding in control buttons to menus and sfx). It's currently got 60+ puzzles (ranging in size from 5x5 to 15x15). I'm aiming for 300.

the game is looking great, I love the background effects, looks very fancy and profecional

Here's another Pandora WIP.

This WIP contains 75 puzzles over 3 different sizes. There are still bugs (eg sometimes the clues for completed rows/columns don't turn blue after using a hint), there are still missing elements (eg Tutorial, music, sfx, Game Over, button controls for menus) and of course it needs more puzzles. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Note - when you go to the Puzzle Select screen for the first time (and when you flip the pages for the first time) there is a pause as the game loads the puzzle images. This shouldn't be an issue in the final game.

Pictocross.zip

Attachments

• Pictocross.zip
    483.7 KB · Views: 208
a random puzzle generator would be neat too :)
That would be easy to implement, but the problem would be that it would be random. Do players really want to solve a puzzle that has no shape/form? Do players only care about the puzzle and not the end-result? I don't think so - I think most people would want the puzzle to actually be something, even if it's only tenuous. Picross isn't like Sudoku, but based on pictures (that's why the Pic is in the name).

What do others think?

I can easily add it, I just don't expect players to use it though. BTW Never heard of KDE picmi. To the Googlemobile... :p

I will add a "Play random puzzle" option as well :)

You could make the "random" use fractals or somesuch to get reasonably aesthetic puzzles of endless variety :)

You could make the "random" use fractals or somesuch to get reasonably aesthetic puzzles of endless variety :)
Or just some set of symmetries from which one or two are picked randomly.
I'm not sure, but wouldn't that mean to effectively divide the complexity of a puzzle by 2 per axis that is symmetrical (assuming you mean symmetry using horizontal, vertical or 45 degree axis)?

But then again I haven't played these types of puzzle games yet, so I don't know if that has any impact on the fun ...

I would use random puzzles.

Random nonograms are actually fun to solve for me at least because they are comletely unpredictable.

For most picture puzzles I can be pretty certain of some cells without having to figure it out exactly (I generally do anyway).

I like picture puzzles as well.

In short having the picture at the end is only a minor part of the fun for me, and sometimes the picture just ends up making the puzzle easier.

Back