Will Sdl Be Available From Release?

chris_r

I'm planning to get into homebrew game development and I've already made a game of breakout in sdl and want to get into something a bit more complex like puzzle games. So obviously the panda will the interesting but I want to know whether sdl will be usable from the day of release or is porting the sdl toolkit more difficult and it will take a while?

chris_r said:
I'm planning to get into homebrew game development and I've already made a game of breakout in sdl and want to get into something a bit more complex like puzzle games. So obviously the panda will the interesting but I want to know whether sdl will be usable from the day of release or is porting the sdl toolkit more difficult and it will take a while?
I think SDL, toolchain, basic libs should be ready from the start. I think the toolchain would have to be establiahed otherwise how would test it. Now a hw accelerated SDL I could expect to come later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even GPH had a working version of SDL available from release - hence all those quick ports that came out in the first couple of weeks.

Admittedly, iirc, it was an old, out of date version of SDL, but it did exist. And then Paeryn came along and the SDL available suddenly was quite a lot faster... Yay Paeryn!

Personally, I'm hoping for an accellerated version, though, preferably before release, and certainly before the second 3000 batch ships (although I maintain my hopes of managing to buy one of the first batch after devs have got the lion's share of it).

Back