Lets Talk Usb Accessories!

please vote the following

• Accelerometer!!! tilting he device for steering rulez!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • A camera ofcource, i wanna use my pandora for everything!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A simtray for bothering people with prankcalls :D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GPS device, why not use it for on the road?

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • TV tuner.(maby a little big)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • FM-Radio, becouse you dont have internet everywhere!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Fingerprint scanner, the ultimate way to boot up the pandora!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A extra battery of about 1000~2000 spare mah.

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

'dflemstr' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
the psp charger can be connected onto the pandora right? so i need to search for psp solar panels?

I think that the Pandora uses more electricity than a PSP (even if it's the same voltage, the amperage(?) might be different). AKA, you won't be able to power the Pandora with a solar panel made for a PSP, because it might produce too little electricity.If it's just lower amperage, afaik at worst it won't be able to charge it faster than it drains, but still charge it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
'sindbad' said:
'dflemstr' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
the psp charger can be connected onto the pandora right? so i need to search for psp solar panels?

I think that the Pandora uses more electricity than a PSP (even if it's the same voltage, the amperage(?) might be different). AKA, you won't be able to power the Pandora with a solar panel made for a PSP, because it might produce too little electricity.If it's just lower amperage, afaik at worst it won't be able to charge it faster than it drains, but still charge it a bit.

but will it work? or not? even when its a little.

borgqueenx said:
'sindbad' said:
'dflemstr' said:
'borgqueenx' said:

but will it work? or not? even when its a little.

It will work, but it will probably just give you 2 or 3 extra hours (max) of battery life when the device is ON. When it's OFF it will get charged, albeit very slowly. Question is whether it is worth it, because it's nt fun to carry around a solar panel with you, and when will you ever need to go somewhere where there aren't any plugs nearby? I go off wandering in the mountains from time to time, but I wouldn't bring the Pandora with me then.

I do not think an accelerometer will work well on the pandora, because it is a clam-shell design. Depending on how much you open the screen you get different controls as they are fixed to the body/base/not-screen. Also as pointed out, very few games would support an accelerometer.

A camera is in every mobile/cell, and usually better (albeit crappy) quality then a webcam.

I'm not even gonna comment on the others ;)

The only useful thing on the list as i see it is a gps or the sim-phone-thingy :)

'lulzfish' said:
Can you re-new patents?
Well, yes, but it takes an act of Congress, so it is unlikely...of course, there are probably ways of getting around that by making some small changes and then patenting the "new" codec - similar to how there are a zillion stylus "ornamental design" patents preventing people from making replacement DS styluses, for example.

You can get really cheap bluetooth GPS devices(check ebay, £15 or $20 kinda prices), there's no point using up the only usb port with a GPS. and apart from that there's nothing I want on the list, except maybe the simtray, but i'm not sure if that's what I want... I'd want a 3G device so that I can stay connected away from wifi hotspots.

I'm not an expert on wireless phone technology, and an overly brisk google search gave me nothing: what can be done with a SIM tray besides reading or writing to a SIM card? Basically, how is this USB tray different from a USB-SIM backup device?

I vote for camera.

- used as camera and image editing program (like dsi but more option and ... plz better resolution)
- shoot video and direct upload video to youtube
- shoot photo and quickly add to email
- used as webcam for messenger

Accelerometer - you can using camera as 2d accelerometer
Fingerprint scanner - Facial recognition is kind of better ... but it's really need ?

I voted for a TV tuner, but since I am in the U.S., it would have to wait until we get mobile digital TV broadcasts going. I read something about how that might happen next year (?).

The only reason I can think to have a camera is for video chat, which I have never used before.

I like to leave GPS duties to a smart phone or dedicated GPS device, personally.

I could see how a special mod involving a USB camera and a USB hub attached to the back of the Pandora might be cool for people who are interested. There are SD-cameras for PDAs still kicking around, but they are designed for a device with an SD slot on top, not in front. The camera would either have to clip on the top of the screen or sit at the end of a flexible arm to be unobtrusive, though.

Considering that the Pandora is for games, another idea for an accessory would be a massive arcade joystick console Pandora dock with a trackball and six to eight buttons. And maybe a small TV screen. And maybe an extra set of controls. I would love to see something like that.

'cobaltage' said:
I could see how a special mod involving a USB camera and a USB hub attached to the back of the Pandora might be cool for people who are interested. There are SD-cameras for PDAs still kicking around, but they are designed for a device with an SD slot on top, not in front. The camera would either have to clip on the top of the screen or sit at the end of a flexible arm to be unobtrusive, though.
How's this? :p

CODE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14991

edgex004 said:
I'm not an expert on wireless phone technology, and an overly brisk google search gave me nothing: what can be done with a SIM tray besides reading or writing to a SIM card? Basically, how is this USB tray different from a USB-SIM backup device?

I thought about this as well. A sim tray AFAIK does not inlude the radio part of a cell phone, it's just a sim reader/writer.

'MiniSinisterMinister' said:
GPS device
Would it work with google maps?
not sure, but there will be a few apps that support it, e.g. TangoGPS and Navit, and I believe that there could even be a way to load google maps images on TangoGPS, but it would be against their terms of use.
I would just use OSM data, since it's also more accurate.

Also, I wouldn't use an USB GPS receiver, but a bluetooth one, so that it can be placed where reception is better.

'MiniSinisterMinister' said:
A extra battery of about 1000~2000 spare mah.
I thought the Pandora already had 8 hours+ of battery life which is enough to get a headache from staring at 4,7" screen in bad posture for hours.
A battery powered hub for the OTG port with a switch that turns it in an emergency battery pack would be nice, however, expecially if it can be fixed somehow to the pandora when in use

I've also voted GPS, but considering there are many gps-recievers with bluetooth doesn't really make sense trying to get one as a usb-extension.
More important would be to get a good application to work with such a gps-reciever.

You missed out:

3.5" Floppy disk drive, for authentic loading of original Amiga games
1x CD-ROM drive, for authentic loading of original PlayStation games
Cart slots for the various emulators.

Sensibly, GPS is a worthy addon but with the proliferation of cheap standalone devices and bluetooth receivers, and GPS making its way into a lot of phones I can't see the point.

Pandora for everything it's good at, and a decent phone for everything that's good at. Regardless of software or hardware capabilities, form factor is key.

'Mr devil45' said:
no-one likes simtray?i voted!
simtray is the most useful of them all, cos no-one will need a phone for anything then, and the panda will not only be a UMPC/handheld gaming device/linux pc/refrigerator/mp3 player/video player/radioactive broccoli, it will be a full PDA! the more pocket space your pandora liberates,the better!
:blink: "radioactive broccoli"

OKAY!1 lol

Anyways, I think GPS is the most useful out of them all.

Accelerometer is like...why would I need one? What real gain do I get with it? If I'm lost, I'm not going to use an accelerometer, I might as well pick up a stick and use it as a dowsing rod to lead me somewhere.

TV? Who watches TV anymore? You got a computer for all your needs.

Cellphone? Well..uhh....it'd be kind of weird using the Pandora as a phone....

Camera? ONLY, if it has good low light conditions, 640x480, 60fps and some okay zoom...which is almost out of the question.

GPS is the only useful option in my view.

alfaalex101 said:
Cellphone? Well..uhh....it'd be kind of weird using the Pandora as a phone....

Weird? It could be like Sidetalkin' all over again! --> sidetalkin.com

Back